Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger 77-2 Hornet

Ruger 77-2 Hornet

Anyone have any experience with either NOE 225-46-FN or 225-39-FN in a 14 twist Ruger or any other 14 twist 22 barrel, Hornet or otherwise.
    M. Stenback

Vendor Sponsor

Did you just get it? How does it shoot with Jacketed bullets?
    Yes, I have one and shot cast in it as well as jacketed and at the this point the jury is out on anything cast and the 40gr jacketed bullets and the short stubby 46gr Hornet bullets are Okay with 1680. It is fussy and accuracy comes OAL longer than will feed through the mag.
    Chill Wills

Yes I just got it and have not shot it yet. I will try cast bullets first. I have a friend who has the 225438 Lyman mould and I am going to borrow it from him to try that bullet.
    M. Stenback

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Yes I just got it and have not shot it yet. I will try cast bullets first. I have a friend who has the 225438 Lyman mould and I am going to borrow it from him to try that bullet.
    That 225438 is a very good place to start.

You likely know the following but....

Try shooting it slow as well as faster. Pistol primers can make a difference with cast loads too. In my opinion you will want to find out how far out you can seat the bullet and try it up on the start of the rifling as well as jumping it a little, assuming we have the same or similar chamber.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Pistol primers are often recommended for the Hornet. The theory is that the stronger rifle primer can dislodge the bullet before the powder is properly ignited, where as the weaker pistol primer won't. Supposedly. The modest pressures generated by the Hornet are within the capabilities of the pistol primer.

Boolit Master
    I use both of the NOE boolits that the OP mentioned in a T/C Encore with a 22 inch MGM 1/14 twist barrel chambered in a 218 Bee.Both boolits are gas check and they shoot very well.

Moderator Emeritus

I've owned a couple of the Ruger 77-22 (one in 22 Hornet and the other in 22LR-that was my Rifle league gun). The two piece bolt of the 77-22 can be problematic to accuracy, if the two pieces weren't mated perfectly (Google will tell you lots more about that and how to fix it, if it needs it). Anyway, I'd strongly recommend you see it it's accurate with jacketed bullets and/or Factory ammo, before venturing into castboolits.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Loaded up some NOE 225 55 gr FN MX3 bullets and the tipped going thru the paper a 50 yards. Maybe if I shoot them faster (chrno 1280) they may not tip. 2.4 grains Bulls Eye.
    Attachment 231028 Attachment 231029

Loaded some 225438 with no gas checks attached and they grouped about 1.5 to 2 inches with Bulls Eye from 2.0 grains to 2.8 grains at 50 yards.

Loaded some 45 gr Hornady bullets with 9.4 grs 4227 and they sort of two grouped at 50 yards. Will have to check the bedding or maybe its the bolt per JonB
    Attachment 231027
    Last edited by fa38; 11-26-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master
    I had a 77-22H and got much better accuracy after bedding the action, it was a 3 step process as I recall.

Banned

If it is the same bullet, I got in on it when it was a group buy here. I bought my first Hornet to replace .22 LR which was unobtainable. Tried the 225438 sans gas check and it worked OK. I was looking for squirrel head accuracy at 25 yards which, to me anyway, is realistic small game range in the woods I hunt.

Anyway, I bought mine with all plain based cavities and shot them with between 1.5 and 2 grains of Bullseye but have settled on the 2 grain load. The WFN profile of that bullet kills well. I shoot those mostly in a Savage 219 single shot which is my favorite rifle for squirrel hunting and just poking around in the woods.
    Attachment 231040Attachment 231041

I then bought the Lee Bator Midsouth was selling a few years ago, don't think you can get it anymore, but despite the fast that it is heavier, it is shorter than the 225438. I cast them very soft aiming for the 1% antimony I'm told .22 LR bullets are, and loaded them wwith 5.5 grains of 2400 simply because I have a Lil Dandy rotor that throws that, six grains or a bit more may be better. Anyway, I shoot that load in a Stevens 322 because it won't feed the 45 grain WFN. When I get to casting more of them, I'll cast them harder, but they shoot quite well in that rifle at the ranges I have shot them.
    Attachment 231042

Boolit Buddy

Never shot the NOE bullets, but when I had a Ruger #3 with 1 in 14 twist, the Lyman 225438 gave me a shade under 4 MOA with either 3.3 grains of Herco or 4.4 of SR 4746, and a 4X scope. The 4756 load was clocking 1640 fps. I thought the Remington 6 1/2 primers, made expressly for the Hornet, were worthwhile. Alloy was straight lino. Never got the accuracy I was looking for, but then - hey - it was me behind the rifle!

Moderator Emeritus

Bill,
    According to (Ruger & His Guns Book) the # 3 Hornet was a 6 groove 1 in 16 twist rate. The Hornet was discontinued in 1982.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    After reading about folks using cast boolets in a 17 hornet I decided to try cast in my Ruger #3 22 Hornet. NOE 39 grain PB, BHN about 10 and Powder coated. I decided to try Trail Boss and after measuring I came up with a 70% fill of 2.4 grains. I loaded one and took it out and shot it to make sure it came out of the barrel OK. I loaded 10 more and quickly shot them at 25 yards. I retrieved the target and my jaw dropped. 1 ragged hole!!! I looked carefully and could only see where 6 bullets had made a hole the other 4 passed through the hole without touching the paper. I quickly loaded 50 more just in time for a massive snow storm. My #3 NEVER shot this good with J word bullets! I can't wait for a break in the weather to chrono this load. By the way they are so quiet I don't need to use ear protection.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Bill,
    According to (Ruger & His Guns Book) the # 3 Hornet was a 6 groove 1 in 16 twist rate. The Hornet was discontinued in 1982.
    Yup! IIRC I got mine 1978 or 79. Doesn't like anything heavier than 45 gr. but 40 gr. Sierra JSPs over a case full of AA1680 will easily hold minute-of-rodent out to 125 yds or so.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"