WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 310 auto pistol die question

Boolit Bub

310 auto pistol die question

Good morning!

Virtually every sizing die for the 310 is referred to as a neck sizing die. My question is, are the dies marketed for rounds such as the 45 ACP and the 38 Super neck sizing dies or full length sizing dies?

Thanks in advance for your help

Boolit Master

They should be neck sizing dies unless they are for the TruLine Jr. The 310 handles lack the torque needed to full length resize except for really small cartridges like 22 Hornet.
    A Lyman Shell Resizer is used to full length resize. It looks like a section of barrel with a chamber and works like a "Whack-a-mole,"

Boolit Grand Master
    My buddy the Brass Magnet speaks true! I would only add emphasis to what he said about the occasional FL sizing dies one finds for various pistol calibers... Don't be tempted to use them!! If you have a set of later, aluminum alloy handles, you are likely to break them from the stress, if you have an older set of iron handles, I would expect damage to the case heads from trying to drag cases out by the little hook, or at best sore hands and wrists from trying to pull hard enough to overcome the lack of leverage. Those dies are for TruLine Jr presses only.

If I have a bunch of cases I want to load with the tong tool, I like to size and decap the cases with a TC die on a full size press... not very romantic, but it works well for me (so much so in fact that I have even begun to occasionally do this for rounds I will finish on my little TL Jr.) The good news is, if you are reloading cases that have been fired in the same chamber, you may be able to do perfectly well by just neck sizing. It would be worthwhile to try a few rounds then try them with the "plunk test."

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"