Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Service Parts

New Service Parts

Saw a new service .45Colt today for $200, I think it will be going home with me. The cylinder rides very loosely on the crane and it seems that part of the cylinder is broke. Prob need new cylinder and crane at least. Barrel is very pitty, but should work. Looking for parts/ideas/is it worth it?
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-26-2018 at 04:49 PM.

My advice -- don't buy it. By the time you get it working properly, cost of a cylinder, maybe a yoke, and ... ?... you could afford one that's working properly, and you'll still have the pitted barrel.

From your description it’s impossible to determine the problem. It could be as simple as the crane being bent, which can be bent back. Caliber, barrel length, vintage and other factors determine rarity and desirability.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy it, disassemble it, and sell the parts to those foolish enough to buy similar bollixed-up weapons.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a certain mystique to the New Service revolvers... not on the same tier as the Single Action Army, but a mystique nonetheless. A nice one, either original or well restored attracts lots of favorable attention, BUUUTTT...
    a damaged, beat up example can be a money pit. If you don't already have a reasonably priced source for the major parts you are likely to need, it will be frightening how fast money can disappear into it. OTOH, if you want to build a classy custom and go into the whole thing as an interesting but expensive project, then you might look harder at this offering. From the tone of you initial question, I get the idea you don't have the aforementioned parts source, so I would be very hesitant in your position.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Parts can be found at Numerich AKA gunpartscorp.com however those parts generally come from "parts guns" and won't necessarily be in any better condition than the well used parts on your gun. They won't sell you broken parts but there's no guarantee the parts will work. Parts can also be found on eBay but that's even riskier than Numerich.

$200 is a good price and I'd probably buy it if the action checked out but I'd expect to spend more than another $200 to get it up and running.

Boolit Master
    I have though about buying a New Service in sorta rough shape in some sort of .38 or maybe even .44 caliber, boring everything out to .45 Colt, have the gun restored and reblued.
    A spendy project, and not a lot of folks to do that sort of work anymore it seems.

Boolit Grand Master
    Potsy, I’ve had similar thoughts... even to the point of planning to “upgrade it” to the deluxe target version with adjustable sights, checkered backstrap, and fancy grips. Fortunately, I sobered up! Unless a talented gunsmith were doing this for his own amusement and use (or for a client with very deep pockets) this would not be anything like a practical project. If on the other hand you leave out the word “practical,” and you have the deep pockets, it would be fascinating. If you found a 38 Spl cylinder to bore out to 44 Special, you could get a gun that would really be... SPECIAL!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Frog,
    I must have seen "Death Hunt" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at an entirely too young and impressionable age.
    I've always wanted a New Service. I'm not even wild about the way they feel. They just look "all business". If you say "double action revolver", I think New Service. I've never read anyone rave about the way they shoot, the triggers, or accuracy. I just want one.
    Once upon a few years ago, there was a gentleman in Lancaster KY who had a pawn shop. He had about a hundred Colt's in there at any given point in time. He usually had a .45 Colt for $7-800, and usually had one a lot nicer for a lot more money. I lusted after one of the cheaper ones, but never seemed to have the cash. He's since closed up shop.
    No doubt I'd need a larger mold and a different sizer die to deal with the dimensions of an original New Service in .45 Colt, that'd be part of the draw toward having one re-bored and re-stored, but it would be expensive, and I don't know who does that kind of work anymore. I think Bowen backed way off that sort of thing and mostly concentrates on re-vamping new Rugers now.

Super Moderator

Please don't make offers to sell on this thread.

Indies revolver was a Smith and Wesson. If you buy that NS parts gun, all you are buying is a problem. Save you nickles and dimes and buy one in decent condition.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    From doing a long search for a cylinder expect to pay at least $200 for a good cylinder. A .455 Ely barrel pops up now and then for $100.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I had a King custom 1909 USMC New Service .45 LC in my youth that shot better than I could. It developed timing problems and I didn't have the knowledge to fix it or money to pay a gunsmith so I sold it back to the store I got it from(for a slight loss). Big old heifer of a revolver- I much prefer N frame Smiths.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Project Gun in my safe that is in need of more work than I can do on it at present. I sometimes think that I am trying CPR at an autopsy with this beast. I had a pickup truck in my driveway for some months that I actually got the engine running for me. The transmission could not rise to the occasion, though--so it got sold to a young guy so that him and his Dad could mess around with it. I do not have that luxury with the P/G--it is a family heirloom, and I would catch hark from the tomb if I parted it out. That is really all it is good for, though I did get it "running" too. Like that Ford F-100, its "engine" works well and fires on demand--its "transmission and drive line" are toast, though--magazine and tube are ancient, irreparable, and unavailable. A single-shot, pump-action 25/20 WCF with busted buttstock has little appeal, not that I could sell it anyway.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I have a Project Gun in my safe that is in need of more work than I can do on it at present. I sometimes think that I am trying CPR at an autopsy with this beast. I had a pickup truck in my driveway for some months that I actually got the engine running for me. The transmission could not rise to the occasion, though--so it got sold to a young guy so that him and his Dad could mess around with it. I do not have that luxury with the P/G--it is a family heirloom, and I would catch hark from the tomb if I parted it out. That is really all it is good for, though I did get it "running" too. Like that Ford F-100, its "engine" works well and fires on demand--its "transmission and drive line" are toast, though--magazine and tube are ancient, irreparable, and unavailable. A single-shot, pump-action 25/20 WCF with busted buttstock has little appeal, not that I could sell it anyway.
    Can you say “Wall Hanger?” This is the very kind of gun for which the term originated... something with;sentimental value, but for whatever reason unshootable. I would just piece it together the best I could for appearance sake and hang it over my fire place. JMHO, and as always, YMMV!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure grandad's go to revolver was a new service in 45LC. If he was thinking of trading for or buying a new pistol and it didn't hit right he would get the new service and if he could hit with it that day No Trade, if he couldn't hit with the new service that day he would try another day.
    Aaron

It's not the cost of major parts that gets you on a New Service, it's the aggravation of dealing with the fitting of the small internals.
    It's nothing like working on a S&W!

Jim

I'm still thinking about it, but the truth is I have a few other projects ahead of it. I don't think it's going anywhere so maybe I'll keep on the lookout for a cylinder for it and if it sells before I can get cheap parts I'm the better for it. Watched a few videos on it, maybe I'll take it apart a little and see if the cylinder is really bad or just the crane.

I have a great 625-4, but there's just something about old Colt wheelguns.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Can you say “Wall Hanger?” This is the very kind of gun for which the term originated... something with;sentimental value, but for whatever reason unshootable. I would just piece it together the best I could for appearance sake and hang it over my fire place. JMHO, and as always, YMMV!

Froggie
    Froggie--

That is the likely ultimate outcome from this particular dalliance. It chaps my hide to "quit" on a project I've started, but at some point with unobtainium parts and about 16 zillion other matters vying for attention and money--ya gotta throw in the towel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I won't think any the less of you for it! Sometimes it feels so good to quit beating your head against the wall, you've just got to quit doing it!

Life is too short to drink cheap liquor or work on untenable projects!

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast