Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can .43 Spanish be made from?

Boolit Buddy

I think i have some ccc brass. This thread should be titled "how to make 43 Spanish brass from other obsolete and scarce brass" lol
    -Mike

Boolit Master
    go to YOU TUBE!! it will show you every thing you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tucumcari_kid View Post
    I think i have some ccc brass. This thread should be titled "how to make 43 Spanish brass from other obsolete and scarce brass" lol
    The standard magnum type brass is not obsolete or scarce !

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A company called Connecticut Cartridge Company (CCC headstamp) made many of the 'exotic' calibers in the 60's
    Have a 100 cases of their 43 Spanish ... NFS
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I just ran across a magazine article on forming .43 Spanish cases. It runs from page 34 through 39 in the April 2001 issue of Accurate Rifle magazine. It looks like everything in it has already been covered here, though.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    With one Roller in .43 (With a .444 Groove) I learned that before you start work on the 348 Win Brass rim see if the case head already fits the chamber. We still have 3 Rollers in ".43" and they all have a groove .442 or larger.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Can you outline a procedure to do this for us?
    Taking the suggestion of using belted magnum cases as donor brass, I full length sized 300 win mag brass in 43 Spanish dies sans the decap stem. Next trimmed to length. Step 3 was resize with the decap/neck size plug in place. Trimmed the belt off the case on my lathe. I suspect a drill press with a large enough chuck to hold the case and a file would do.

Finding the right circle clip took a little time and I wasn't smart enough to write down the size in the hardware store when I was there.

I've only made a couple, but it certainly looks like viable method of making an expensive case from a commonly available case.

I've got 60 more 300 win mag case that I have no use for. At least until now

Boolit Grand Master

The only way I found to form 43 Spanish involved a lathe which I don't have although that would give me an excuse to buy a lathe

Buy the brass from Track of The Wolf.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Taking the suggestion of using belted magnum cases as donor brass, I full length sized 300 win mag brass in 43 Spanish dies sans the decap stem. Next trimmed to length. Step 3 was resize with the decap/neck size plug in place. Trimmed the belt off the case on my lathe. I suspect a drill press with a large enough chuck to hold the case and a file would do.

Finding the right circle clip took a little time and I wasn't smart enough to write down the size in the hardware store when I was there.

I've only made a couple, but it certainly looks like viable method of making an expensive case from a commonly available case.

I've got 60 more 300 win mag case that I have no use for. At least until now
    Glad to see I was of help. I used a tapered mantrel inserted in to the case month when fileing off the belt in my drill press.
    Just do not forget to anneal that brass before using it. I forgot the frist time and lost some to shoulder splits . once I started the annealing I haven't lost any , some have been fired 5 times using 5477 powder

First half dozen conversions were with Hornady brass, worked great. Figured I had the procedure figured out. Wrong. Next 20 were Winchester brass. All steps except trimming the belt off completed. Trimmed belt on the first case, won't chamber, too fat ahead of where the belt had been. None of the others fit.

Back to the drawing board. Tried Federal brass, 20+ pieces, all fit great, single piece of Remington brass doesn't even need belt turned off. I think I need to scrounge some more Remington brass.

Dang fat Winchester brass.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    First half dozen conversions were with Hornady brass, worked great. Figured I had the procedure figured out. Wrong. Next 20 were Winchester brass. All steps except trimming the belt off completed. Trimmed belt on the first case, won't chamber, too fat ahead of where the belt had been. None of the others fit.

Back to the drawing board. Tried Federal brass, 20+ pieces, all fit great, single piece of Remington brass doesn't even need belt turned off. I think I need to scrounge some more Remington brass.

Dang fat Winchester brass.
    I found it best to size the brass in mag type full lenght sizer die before sizing in the 43 Spanish Mauser die.
    I have been using a Lee 7mm mag die to do this, worked for me . Hope this helps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tucumcari_kid View Post
    You have a bit of a point but I stumbled across something in my musings...

The .50 Alaskan is based on the .348 Winchester case, is available and far less expensive than the .348 so how much effort would it be to size it down instead of blowing the .348 out?

Boolit Master
    I make them out of 8m/m LEBEL.

Boolit Master
    I also use 8m/m LEBEL & 348 WIN. to make 43 REFORMADO.

Boolit Buddy
    The circlips on altered mag rifle cases work just fine. I got my clips from McMaster-Carr:

Catalog number: 97414A660 $9.24

Low-Clearance External Retaining Ring for 1/2" OD, Side-Mount, Black-Phosphate Spring Steel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Hawkeye. There’s an old saying .... If you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler. I learned that with my RRB in 43 Spanish. Worse yet to get a German Schuetzen rifle capable to shoot. A caliber that went extent in 1900 after 20 years ... a box of 100 cases = $378. But there are only 3 known 9.5x47R rifle owners in the US
    I know your experience. I bought a German stalking rifle (pre 1890, no proof markings) that was advertised as a 8mm. It turned out to be a 9.5X47R chambering. Making brass has been an interesting experience. BACO 44-77 with a .513 base diameter is where I'm starting with as parent brass after chamber cast. 375H&H dies taper the body. I gut lucky and found a used set of 9.5X47R dies on EBay.
    Lee dies won't hold up reducing the body diameter they will split.
    I used 45-2.4 (45-90) to make ten 43 Spanish because of a need to know. But I will use the BACO with the .513 base (at the time were $178 a hundred shipped) if I make more.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I too have 100, CCC cases, CASCADE CARTRIDGE Co, in 50/70 CAL. that I bought in 1960 at the BRINFIELD, CT flea market. still loading them and shooting them!! these big boys don't seem to stretch? never trimmed them.

Boolit Mold
    Don't bother with the 348. I wasted money on that. I was successful making 43 Spanish out of 45/90 and even 45/70 with a short neck. Both shot fine, and needed nothing more than a full length die. There is even a 45 special or something like that that is just a long straight wall 45 case that can easily be formed to 43 Sp. (or 45/70, 45/90) Half of my cases are these.

Boolit Master
    bmac10, please tell me what it takes to make them out of 45/70's. I have many of them and would like to use them to make 43 SPANISH. thanking you. toot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    buy the ready made brass, at least one box, go shoot. I believe there a lot of peeps who use 45-70 as a donor case. it will head space on the shoulder after full throttle fire forming.
    every time that I used 45-70 brass. I just run them into the 43 SPANISH, dies and a beautifully formed case came out. up on firing them every one of them split legenth wise. not good to use 45-70 at least for me. any one else have this problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12