MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: H&G 68 mould without lube grooves for 45 ACP?

Boolit Buddy

H&G 68 mould without lube grooves for 45 ACP?

I have been shooting 200 grain H&G style SWC boolits (with standard lube grooves and Hi-Tek coating); good accuracy, no leading at all. I'm going to buy a new mould for the 45 ACP and the H&G 68 design is my favorite; I would really like to get this mould without lube grooves since I use Hi-Tek coating and I find that slick-sided boolits release from the mould better than those with lube grooves. I'm thinking of having Accurate make me a H&G 68 without lube grooves. I was concerned that this boolit will be heavier than the standard H&G 68 and was wondering if the difference is significant regarding load data. Or does anyone have suggestions for a 200 grain 45 ACP 200 grain boolit for target/plinking that's available without lube grooves as a standard item? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

The H&G 68 with out the lube groove may be 5 -8 grns heavier than with it. THe groove os roughly .090 wide .030 thick and as long as the circumference of the bullet, not a lot there. I don't see a big problem in reality with that.

Several ways to get back to the 200 grn weight would be 1 have the bullet made a cup base to maintain length and weight. Cup bases can be very accurate also. Another is to have the base shortened about .010-.015 to remove the added weight. You don't want to take it from the nose since the H&D68s nose was desighned to ride the feed ramp the same as hard ball does.

Talk to accurate about your wants and see what they have to offer and their ideas, Im betting they already have something in the cataloug that's what you want. Also you might check NOE.

Boolit Master
    Elmer Keith made the point that bullet grooves give the lead displaced by the lands a place to go and reduces overall bullet distortion. I wonder about the trend to eliminate lube grooves like it doesn't change anything else. I would think distortion of the bullet base would be greater and bullet diameter could be retested.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I would have to ditto what mal paso said. When you size the alloy has to go somewhere and uneven metal at the bullet's base would not be the best place. A cupped base mold with a nose pour design would be interesting. If it were a custom mold you could keep sizing to a minimum. But my powder coated H&G 68's cast & shoot so well I personally would have to ask myself how much better can it get.

Boolit Master
    I have exactly that. Get it from Magma and you can order and H&G 68 without lube grooves in 200 grains. They allow for the lack of lube grooves and make sure the mold still drops at 200. It's a bevel base and I'm really happy with mine.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I have exactly that. Get it from Magma and you can order and H&G 68 without lube grooves in 200 grains. They allow for the lack of lube grooves and make sure the mold still drops at 200. It's a bevel base and I'm really happy with mine.
    Thanks to all for the informative replies. AbitNutz: that Magma mould is exactly what I will order. Thanks.