Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 308403 revisited

Boolit Bub

308403 revisited

I found this at a show recently in a Yankee mould that is pretty rare by itself. I have the Ideal version as well, but am excited to try this one to see how the band widths compare to the original.
    Ive found the Ideal version very accurate with unique and JPW smeared all over the grooves. They are not nearly as fragile as described and can be preloaded tightly in unsized brass. Always interested to read of others experiences with this design and what charges give the best accuracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yankee.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Frugal,I've never examined a Yankee mould but it looks like it would cast really well. Are they marked with Ideal numbers?
    Lately I've been shooting the 311403 bullet out of a Krag and 03a3, and it is a very accurate bullet in both out to 200 yds, unless its bucking a headwind and goes subsonic, then it opens up some at 200. These bullets have a .315 base band, and i size to .314 to use in the Krag, and use a little liquid alox painted on with a brush after they are seated in the case. To prep the case I just expand the unsized neck enough to accept the bullet's 314 base, and seat the bullet by hand to the first groove.
    My favorite load is 10 grs. of Herco, but have had great results with similar charges of Unique, RDot, G-Dot, And IMR RED, and a slightly smaller charge of 700X. Have also been trying a new to me powder, Vectan AO, which is close to Herco in the burn rate, and it shoots very well, and was cheap at $15 for 1.1 pounds, from Grafs. A powder worth trying.

Boolit Master

I've owned and cast with three different Yankee moulds. Indeed they are fine casting moulds./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....