RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: powder coated gould boolit gets a buck

Banned

Looks good.

Seems like everyone is concerned about being able to get expansion with a cast bullet and as often as not, you get more expansion that you want. I had a similar experience earlier this year with a 7mm bullet. It still did the job, but I think I will tweak alloy or velocity a bit before next time.

I love this part of the forum this time of year too.

Boolit Buddy
    I knew i was driving this bullet too fast, or at least faster than intended but had to try it out! I do like to have a balance of energy dump and penetration, sort of the Nosler Partition effect. In the smaller to mid calibers the softnose cast can't be beat, especially when the main portion of the bullet is water dropped wheel weight, i have put them through deer facing me and they transit the entire length of animal and keep on going but yet there is impressive expansion and tissue damage from impact to about to the 10-12" deep range. At the end of the day any successful hunt is fun and more meat in the freezer or on the shelf in canning jars, fun to experiment and keep learning about how our favorite boolits work.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Looks good.

Seems like everyone is concerned about being able to get expansion with a cast bullet and as often as not, you get more expansion that you want. I had a similar experience earlier this year with a 7mm bullet. It still did the job, but I think I will tweak alloy or velocity a bit before next time.

I love this part of the forum this time of year too.

Boolit Master
    I like the hp but want it to act like a nobler partition. On my "rountoit list" is to make a shorter hp pin for my G ould mold. Have been using the NOE rcbs200 bullet with a drilled hp, #12 center drill. Made a little handheld guide and turn the drill with a little homemade handle. Its shallow and small but it seems to help trigger expansion. 1400ish in 357Herret and 1650fps or so in 35rem 141. Easyto do and still get "all the way thru".
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That does look like a violent hit.

I haven't chrony'd mine, but I think it's in the 1300 fps range. I use pure with a bit of tin. That's the way this boolit worked since forever, I didn't see any reason to try something new.

Boolit Buddy
    I got this deer cut up yesterday and the off side shoulder took quite a pounding, the picture of the exit didn't look too bad but inside it was a mess. Hit the shoulder connection point and really smashed things up inside, must of been slowed down quite a bit by the time it hit though as there was not any bloodshot meat you see at higher velocity.

Boolit Master
    Giant buck! Congratulations!

You could track one here in the National Forest for two hours. But you wouldn’t want to drag him out.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What a pig!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123