Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: round or flat noses?

Banned

round or flat noses?

i think i'm going to buy a ruger american ranch or a cz 527 in 7.62x39. this will be for whitetails and my range will be 150 yards or less. i figure the boolit will be 11-12 bhn(10 lead/ 1 tin) and in the medium weight range(150 - 170gr). since i only use flat nose, round noses have perked my interest. i know that they will expand(11 - 12 bhn x 100 = 1100 - 1200fps impact velocity, note not the muzzle velocity), but i have never tried round nose boolits( i have tried rn jacketed bullets and i love them). the velocity should be 1800-2000fps at the muzzle.

i was wondering if anyone has tried rn boolits on deer? or should i go to flat nose boolits?

This is what my bro in law did with the Ruger ranch 7.62x39 at 178 yards with the lee 150 FN PCed over 21.5 of IMR4198 50/50 we/pure with Aluminum gas checksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BE269A18-510E-48F8-99A3-3141DA4AD8B2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	230885

She dropped in her tracks

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Meplat kills.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Talking

I have not, the roundnose has no advantage and lacks the known benefits that a flat point hunting bullet brings. Anytime a rnd nose might work, a flat point WILL work. Ballistic coefficient is really unimportant at the ranges most of us shoot game, so I always go with the flat, even if I put it on with a file. I really like the 311466 in my Herrett, but file a flat on my hunting bullets. Can'ttell any difference in poi or accuracy but terminal effect was noticeably better.
    I plan to hunt some this year with a 7.62x39 NO 1 using the 160gr NOE Harris design. Cast from water dropped 1.5 1.5 97 it stays together when impacting the clay berm and I feel it has enough of a flat to be effective at the 2000ish velocity. Shots under 100yards where and how I hunt. Maybe can post some pics post hunt
    Last edited by rking22; 11-23-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Stick with the flat nose. They kill exceptionally well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I used my early Christmas present, a CZ 527 in x39 this past week and took 2 whitetails. I used the Lee/Harris design boolit and it did the job but after seeing how well the flat nose RD design works in the 30-30, I ordered a NOE TL313-153 for the CZ. I like em flat!

Boolit Buddy
    Round nose on small game is one thing but anything above 40 lbs stick with a proven flat nose . It has been proven many times over that a round nose bullet will not create a good wood cavity , that tissue closes rather quickly behind the bullet. As where a flat nose creates a large open wound channel. Marginal hit with lack of a blood trail most likely ends up with a lost animal.

Boolit Master
    Plenty of rifles won't feed the flat nose you otherwise might want to use. The original poster has a handle on velocity thresholds to initiate expansion with the alloy he wants to use. I've not shot a deer with a round nose cast bullet, but 500Linebaughbuck is on the pathway to success. Once expansion starts it doesn't matter what shape the bullet was on the way to the target.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    Either will kill a white tail door nail dead, how soon is the big question is how fast. As stated, meplat, or flat nose will do it better.

Boolit Master
    When I first started doing my own terminal ballistics tests some years ago, I very quickly discovered that round nose boolits tended to tumble unpredictably about 3-5 inches into the medium often without mushrooming while the flat nose tended to mushroom reliably with more straight line penetration. Everything in life is a trade off and while the round nose boolits were more accurate in my rifles, the flat nose boolits were better hunting boolits in larger game. There are no degrees of dead however and both will do the job on game. Example: In my 7mm TCU I use the round nose 130 gr boolits for small game and targets while reserving the 135 gr. flat pointed boolits for deer.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    The Harris designed boolit for the 7.62 x39 will do you perfectly. NOE has them listed. 312x162 fn, Harris. They shoot and feed fine in my 303s and all my 30 cals .

Ken

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...67fs97fl80uhv3
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".