Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ordered the coolest new Glock available.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I was working for a small shop in Flagstaff Arizona when the first Glocks started to arrive in 1980. First generation Olive Drab color. Wish I had purchased about a dozen of them now. Anyways, all the LEO's were either carrying revolvers or auto loaders at the time. Didn't take long for the Glock's to win out over the revolvers and existing auto loaders of the day. Glock has been at the leading edge of hand gun development for many, many years now, I'm just waiting for them to move into the AR style platforms in a big way just to see what they will come up with against the AR and the H&K competition via law enforcement utility.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The coolest new Glock for me is still the 42. All the Glocks have a competitor equivalent but the 42 still stands on it's own. I love mine and shoot it really well with homebrew +P loads. It also shoots cast just fine. The new OEM minus connector is a welcome improvement, gets the trigger pull down to the same as my stock 19 and 26.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never owned a Glock, but have always appreciated their reliability. I've never found their grips comfortable, but that has nothing to do with their reputation as a quality firearm.
    Recently I was in a gun store and noticed that they had some Polymer80 frames in, and that got the wheels turning. A couple days ago I stopped in there and asked to see one of the frames. In my opinion it felt much more comfortable than a Glock frame.
    So last night I pulled the trigger and ordered everything I need to put together a Polymer80 PF940v2 in 9mm. If this turns out as good as I'm expecting it too I will probably end up building another one in 40S&W.

Another thing: the 42 has a perfect grip for me. I modified all my other Glocks, but this one was perfect out of the box for me. With the new gen. 5's, Glock seems to be making improvements.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry , Glocks aren't cool.... Now a Colt 1911 are Cool !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The late LTC 'Jeff' Cooper once said that the FAL rifle was a weapon for the classes, while the Kalashnikov was a weapon for the masses. I imagine he might have said the same of Glocks. I own both a Kalashnikov and a Glock, and find them well designed and useful tools--but prefer the Colt Govt Model.

Boolit Master

What possessed you to troll a thread about Glocks?
    I'm the OP and obviously I like Glocks. You come into a thread and insult me and my weapon of choice. Why?
    Why do owners of an antiquated, inefficient, ow capacity, and unreliable design feel the need to bash and insult Glocks at every opportunity??
    Are you that insecure? Or just impolite?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Everyone else gets the same treatment.
    Why should anyone else be any different?

Again I mean no harm, hurt or anguish by my post on this posted thread. I am merely making a post based on my experience, belief, opinion and or observation. I am not calling out, trolling or baiting anyone here. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Man these Glock threads always blow up. Its a personal preference and all your guns will get along just fine in your safe so why owners always pick a fight. its a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument.

Glocks are good at what they do and are very reliable so from that perspective they have an edge over many other hand guns that cant even claim reliability. Unfortunately I dont feel Glock is keeping up with many other manufacturers. Most of Glock upgrades in new models include different back strap or finger grooves. With all that money that glock is making I'm expecting more. Again its my personal opinion based on what i know and I dont know everything so take it with a grain of salt. I prefer CZ, Sig and i will go as far as Canik TP9 series before I pick up a Glock and I've shot quite a few by now from plain Jane to custom $1500 G17 with long slide and custom trigger.

Either way congrats and enjoy your Glock i hope it serves you well.

Banned
    So, Idaho45Guy , what's the verdict? Have you had a chance to shoot that new pistol?

Boolit Master
    I am in the process of trading a Gen 1 Glock for a Armalite AR-180 and a Colt Custom Shop 100th year anniversary 1911 (the one with imitation Kraft box and wax paper). Believe it or not, it was a very hard decision. I am equally at home with a Les Baer 1911 and a Glock 17. There is something very comforting about Glocks. .......but yes, there seems to be very hard feelings about both sides of this coin. This is always very weird to me. Honestly, couldn't we all get along with a .22, a shotgun and a centerfire? It is strange people would attack someone based on their preferences.

Sorry , Glocks aren't cool.... Now a Browning Hi-Power are Cool !
    Fixed it for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    So, Idaho45Guy , what's the verdict? Have you had a chance to shoot that new pistol?
    It is an absolute awesome combat pistol! Drew from concealment and fired 15 rounds in 5 seconds at a target 7yds away and got this group...

Attachment 232639

25yds testing has been mixed and a bit disappointing. Pretty sure it's because with my new glasses I got this summer, the sights are always blurry. So, I ordered a Burris Fastfire III red dot for it last night. Will install it and go back to the range to see if I can get the 25yd group sizes under 2".

I won't be able to compete with the pistol in GSSF Stock division due to the sight, and I'm not interested in replacing any of the factory parts with race parts since it's my main CCW gun. But I'm fine with always being in the top 5 but never winning.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I've always considered the G19 to be one of the best combat pistols available.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've always considered the G19 to be one of the best combat pistols available.
    Yep almost as good as a 1911
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Me too, although strangely I shoot my 26 a lot better.

Been taking a hard look at the g19 gen 5's myself. I really like that they did away with the finger grooves and used traditional rifling in the gen 5 bbl.'s. I'm not a trigger snob (too many years shooting long heavy double action triggers on revolvers) so if they say they improved the trigger I believe them. I also like the flared mag well.
    My big question is did they re-shape and beef up the slide to take care of the slide cracking issues the gen 4's had?

Banned
    What slide cracking issues ?

Banned

We all have access to Google
    Just google "glock crack"
    Frame, slide, breech-face
    Just like you can google "glock kaboom"

Boolit Master

http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial...-think/329812#

"Never trust an internet forum post or source that states, “I have at least xx,xxx rounds through my pistol and it has been flawless.” There’s a better than average chance they are lying. The internet is a breeding ground for exaggeration and outright lies; proceed with caution.

There are certainly plenty of folks out there who do a ton of shooting, but few of them live on the internet. They’re usually out shooting instead of posting online. The louder the proclamation, the less likely it is to be true..."

"Gun rental shops are also a great place to find information about pistols that see a lot of rounds. One of the most active rental shops in the country is Battlefield Las Vegas (BLV).

The guns that BLV rents are mostly the guns the military uses or that are popular in video games. New shooters or people who don’t own guns are often enticed to their first shooting experience through those two mediums.

By putting multiple guns through hundreds of thousands of rounds, BLV is able to develop a great picture of what types of pistols last and what don’t. The verdict: full-size pistols are where it’s at.

The pistols that get shot the most at BLV are the SIG Sauer P226, Glock 17 and Beretta 92. Based on BLV’s experience, each of those pistols will go 50,000 to 100,000 rounds before there is a parts failure. It is not uncommon for these guns to continue to function reliably even with a cracked frame or slide. The point of impact might shift, but they still shoot reliably. Many parts failures are only detected during cleaning and maintenance sessions, not from a malfunctioning pistol."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast