Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ordered the coolest new Glock available.

They increased the size of the diameter of the guide rod assembly when they went from the gen3 to the gen4. This made the hole in the front of the slide larger/weaker. It takes no where near 100,000 rounds for the gen4 slides to crack. Not internet lore, common knowledge, start looking for cracks at the 20,000 round count.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is why I asked if the beefed up the slide on the gen5's.

20,000 rounds sounds like a lot but if do any shooting at all, you'll go thru 20,000 rounds in a hurry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    They increased the size of the diameter of the guide rod assembly when they went from the gen3 to the gen4. This made the hole in the front of the slide larger/weaker. It takes no where near 100,000 rounds for the gen4 slides to crack. Not internet lore, common knowledge, start looking for cracks at the 20,000 round count.
    [IMG][/IMG]

20,000 rounds sounds like a lot but if do any shooting at all, you'll go thru 20,000 rounds in a hurry.
    Pretty sure that's an unsubstantiated rumor spread by Glock haters.

If there really was such a widespread issue with ALL Gen 4 Glocks occurring at 20k rounds, don't you think there would be some outcry on the internet? Why would police agencies continue to buy and issue them? Why is there pretty much no consensus online that this is an issue? After 9 years of production, you would think that guns would be breaking in the hands of shooters all over.

And I have been on Glock and firearms internet forums for over 20 years and this is the first I've heard of this supposed issue.

So it's not common knowledge and it's complete bunk.

BTW, we really did land on the moon...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

The irony is truly entertaining

[IMG][/IMG]

It happens but it really is rare. Not something I worry about because Glock will replace it for free if you send it in.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    With my mild loads, I don't think that is going to happen to my 19 or 26 for a few lifetimes!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    With my mild loads, I don't think that is going to happen to my 19 or 26 for a few lifetimes!
    As long as you don't drop your Glock on concrete, you should be fine. That's apparently what happened to the pistol shown.

Of course the never-Glockers will say that Glocks are junk because they can't be dropped onto concrete without damage while their pet pistol can't be carried in a pocket since pocket lint jams it up.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Haters gonna hate. Glock is not perfection by any means, but they do a really good job. Refining the same design over the decades almost always gives better results than starting from scratch over and over.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Haters gonna hate. Glock is not perfection by any means, but they do a really good job. Refining the same design over the decades almost always gives better results than starting from scratch over and over.
    Ya that's it, Gota be a glock hater!!!!

Asked a real world question & ended up with 20 years of glock experience that taught the poster they put a man on the moon. Along with the usual denial/denial/denial. What crack??? Can't forget the typical gota hate glocks!!!!

I know this is a cast bullet forum and I shouldn't expect too much out of the members when asking about technical questions relating to firearms. But on other forums it's nothing to see/read the generic "ya, they beefed up the front of the slides on the gen5's to stop the cracking issues the gen4's had." Figured I might as well ask here, Big mistake!!!

Sure am glad I didn't ask about the weak extraction on the gen5's & if it's due to the "beefing up" of the front of the slide that holds the recoil lug/spring. If I did I'm sure there'd be more nasa reports, glock hater quotes, never herd of it, had to of dropped it, etc.

Banned

Stop with the facts and reality.
    Let's play pretend.
    You are a very bad man with all your facts and reality.

Ya that's it, Gota be a glock hater!!!!

Asked a real world question & ended up with 20 years of glock experience that taught the poster they put a man on the moon. Along with the usual denial/denial/denial. What crack??? Can't forget the typical gota hate glocks!!!!

I know this is a cast bullet forum and I shouldn't expect too much out of the members when asking about technical questions relating to firearms. But on other forums it's nothing to see/read the generic "ya, they beefed up the front of the slides on the gen5's to stop the cracking issues the gen4's had." Figured I might as well ask here, Big mistake!!!

Sure am glad I didn't ask about the weak extraction on the gen5's & if it's due to the "beefing up" of the front of the slide that holds the recoil lug/spring. If I did I'm sure there'd be more nasa reports, glock hater quotes, never herd of it, had to of dropped it, etc.
    I wasn't talking about your post or even thinking about it, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just talking about the anti-Glock crowd in general.

I wasn't talking about your post or even thinking about it, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just talking about the anti-Glock crowd in general.
    Wasn't singling you out, I apologize to you if you think I was.
    I simply quoted your post as an example of the "wall" that came from asking what I believed a real question. Don't hate glocks, never owned 1 but if anyone bothers to do a search they will find that I have stuck up for them and the bashing in the past going back to 2011.
    I have owned raceguns in the past, they were built on 1911 platforms. I thinned the herd but still own 2 target 1911's to this day & that's the configuration they will stay. Been looking at SA's XD(M) series, S&W's m&p 9l, walter q5's and glocks.
    Typically you put $400 in a $500 gun and end up with a $300 custom. The glocks are known for their ease of customization while retaining their value. I was trying to ask about any real/perceived design flaws/issues with the gen5's before I lay down the $$$ for 1 and then put more $$$ customizing it. Considering that I live near the fin feather fur stores that have not only good prices on their firearms to begin with. They have sales a couple times a year knocking $100 to $200 off their store prices on the walters/SA's & s&w's.
    I can pickup a walter q5 off of them on sale for under $600 out the door, SA xd(m)'s & S&W m&p 9l's for $500 & change when they're on sale.
    From the lack of clarity from threads like these I leads me to believe the walter q5 is the way to go. Myself I'm proud of the firearms I own & what they can do. If there's any flaws in design or workmanship I'll be the 1st to say so. Along with telling other about what I encountered and what steps I took to resolve issues if possible. And owning a glock will not change that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234