Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ordered the coolest new Glock available.

Boolit Master

Ordered the coolest new Glock available.

Was really struggling to decide what new pistol to get as my new ultimate CCW gun. Bought a new M&P40c last month that I just haven't been crazy about. Luckily, I got such a good deal on it that if I sell it, I won't lose any money. So I started a new search.

I spent hours and hours reviewing videos, reading articles, perusing gun forums, fondling guns in gun shops in two states, and tossing coins.

It came down to two contenders; the Glock Gen 4 G23 or the Glock Gen 5 G19 MOS.

I preferred the .40 S&W and the flexibility of being able to change out the G23 to a .357 Sig or 9mm. The G23 with finger grooves felt slightly better in my hand than the G19, and the Blue Label price of $410 beat the G19 by $80.

But it all came down to the trigger and accuracy. The Gen 5 triggers I pulled all felt noticeably better than the Gen 4 triggers I pulled. Having bought three Glock Gen 4 pistols over the past three years, all have had markedly different triggers. From the perfect trigger in my G29, to the 9lb awful trigger in my G35, and the OK but mushy and stiff trigger in my G19.

So I ordered the G19 Gen 5 MOS version. The dealer said they are going like hotcakes now and finding one in the LE blue label program was tough in our area. He said although they are showing none available, he will make sure to get me one on the way tomorrow.

I fondled the G45, and I liked everything but the grip. I have larger hands, so it was a surprise that the G45 didn't feel better; it was just too long. The G19 Gen 5 grip is great, but that front cutout was annoying. The MOS version eliminates it.

So, I will have a pistol that is almost identical in size to my M&P40c, but holds 15rds, is hopefully more accurate, I can shoot it in GSSF matches, and has a way, way better trigger without having to take it apart and work on it.

Attachment 230865
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am glad you found something... let us know how you like it after it arrives...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

sweet!

a decent triggered gen4 g26 is my daily driver.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Cool and glock are mutually exclusive.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Gen3 Glock 23 is my EDC. That 19/23 size range does a lot of things very, very well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Vendor Sponsor

When they make a grip frame that doesn't cause the front sight to be up in the treeline somewhere, I may consider one. I *HATE* having to remember to cant my wrist forward to align the sights. My Kahr or any 1911 just sights naturally, if I was in total darkness the shot would hit where my forearm was pointed. Not so with the Glock grip frame.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    When they make a grip frame that doesn't cause the front sight to be up in the treeline somewhere, I may consider one. I *HATE* having to remember to cant my wrist forward to align the sights. My Kahr or any 1911 just sights naturally, if I was in total darkness the shot would hit where my forearm was pointed. Not so with the Glock grip frame.
    CZ will have the full line of the P-10 in stores very shortly. They’re being made in the US and will come optics ready. I don’t know if the initial ones be OR or not. No grip angle problems w/ them. I admit that I’m biased towards CZ.

Banned
    I've always liked the G19/G23 platform. It is a very good combination of size, weight & capacity. Full sized grip, good sight radius, easy to conceal, high capacity and chambered in an adequate cartridge.

The 5th Gen Glocks looks to be a decent evolution of the Glock pistols. A redesigned firing pin safety that may provide a better pull (it looks a lot like what SIG has been doing for 40 years ) A no finger groove front strap (good if the finger grooves don't happen to fall in the right place for your particular hand), Front slide serrations (kind of a non-issue for me but harmless). Ambidextrous slide release. (good if your a lefty, a non issue for right handed shooters)

As for the grip angle that Doug-Guy hates, well that's a personal thing. I've always preferred the Glock grip angle but then I also like the H&K P7, the Ruger MKII and other pistols with a bit more rake. They point naturally for me and I have to adjust my hold for the 1911 and others with a more vertical grip. For point shooting the Glock is far more in sync with me. To each his own.

Boolit Master
    If I had to live with just one pistol, I would choose a Glock. I can't fall in love with them like I do steel frame pistols, but they just run and run and do that job very well. Congrats on finding the one.

I found a "Desert Storm" gen 2 at a local gun shop that I am considering.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I have the same problem, love the guns, just can’t shoot them!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master

The G19X fixes the grip angle issue. I guess perfection can be improved upon when a large military contract is being dangled in front of them

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The G19X fixes the grip angle issue. I guess perfection can be improved upon when a large military contract is being dangled in front of them
    Unfortunately the 19x is just too big to be a carry gun, I can CCW a FS 1911 because of its slimness, but I’m thinking the butt of the 19x is going to be a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Arg. Glock. All the same. Large or small. G17 3rd gen is in the safe. Nah, I'll pass on another.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Arg. Glock. All the same. Large or small. G17 3rd gen is in the safe. Nah, I'll pass on another.

That's an amazing statement. Heard similar talk in gun shops. Good luck with that.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I thought maybe you bought a Vickers Wilson Tactical version. THOSE are nice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    I thought maybe you bought a Vickers Wilson Tactical version. THOSE are nice.
    Very nice! But I'm not spending $1400 for a Glock...

Hey, enjoy your newest glock.

I didnt say they wouldn't shoot. But new vs old? Version 3, 4, 5? They look and feel the same, nothing amazing about them, they are ugly plastic guns. Most shoot very well under poor maintenance. Ask police armorers. So do others. They are cheap, made for lowest bidder.

What's really crazy to me is the p80 craze. **** lowers that do nothing but make a good gun perform worse. Now that is stupid.

Banned
    Seems like if you put the word "Glock" somewhere in a post, it produces strong responses.

I never hated the Glocks but it did take a while for me to warm up to them. I'm there now - They WORK and there's a lot to be said for that. The simplicity of the design is its true strength. They are incredibly reliable and durable. You don't need to change barrels, connectors, triggers, etc. They are fine right out of the box. In fact, most of the problems I've seen with Glocks are caused by people attempting to "improve" them.

Glocks are not pretty to look at but they work. The beauty of a Glock is its reliability and durability.

My daily carry is a Glock 42 I always carry in my back pocket(like a billfold)

Banned
    As for Glocks being "cheap" and made for the lowest bidder, I don't believe that is an accurate way to characterize the guns.

Yes, they are inexpensive but I wouldn't use the word "cheap" to describe a Glock. The design allows Glock to hit a low price point but that is due to engineering and production methods, not degrading the quality.

A molded plastic frame with slide rails and a serial number block embedded is inexpensive to produce once you get the molds and equipment sorted out. Stamped steel parts like connectors, trigger bars and slide stops are inexpensive to produce and more than adequate for the job they perform. The parts that need to be strong like the barrel and slide, are strong. Glock puts the money into where it needs to and saves money where they can.
    I don't think the Glock is made for the lowest bid, I think the Glock became the lowest bid due to good engineering. You can't blame Glock for capturing the lowest bid when they did so through efficient engineering.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast