Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 10/22; what to feed it?

Boolit Master

every picky eater will down mcdonalds french fries............

Winchester Dynapoints were always the hands down favorite and are probably still worth a try.
    Also CCI Blazers are very close to performing like Mini-mags but only cost a fraction of their price.

Boolit Master

Went online and thought I'd try a brick of the Aguila Super Extra .22 hollow points for $18.99. Shipping was $18.73. Forget it. When it costs the same to ship as the item costs, I will buy locally.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I won a brick of the Aguila super extras, normally only buy std vel or subsonics. They shoot well in at least 1 10-22, better than any of the milk carton stuff except federal automatch. That shipping is crazy, if you have an Academy Sports they usually have a good selection, at least here.
    The rifles all have their likes and dislikes, I tried Stingers when they first came out, T bolt would barely keep them in 3 inches at 50, a Rem 541 about the same. Never bothered with another box. Goes to show, they all have likes and dislikes!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    blazer/ Winchester power points work well in mine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    My advice to you is the same as I would tell anyone asking me that same question about their new .22 rifle. Buy a box of as many different makes and bullet weights as you can and then retire to a range with a bench and test them all to find the favored load.Robert
    Yep. This. The 10/22 for me is one of the "screwin' around" .22's, so as long as it spits out empties and feeds fulls, I pretty much don't care - I've got others to shoot when I'm concerned about making bughole groups. From a 10/22, if it holds half-minute-of-soda-can, I'm happy. Finding a load that WORKS in a 10/22 shouldn't be any kind of a challenge (start with 40 grain "high velocity" and branch out from there). Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go on a quest for what your rifle groups best with, the above practice is really the only sure answer. . .and once you find it, the bad news is it only really applies to that lot of ammo.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have a very old 10-22 that was scorched in a fire; so I got it for $40. The stock was a bit scorched, but other than that it was ok. I tried it out with a replaced stock in a Varminter rest at 25 yards. I tried Remington golden bullets, CCI mini-mags, Federal lightnings, aguilas, RWS match, and Winchester Super X solids. Out of all, the Winchester Super X was by far the most accurate. Note I had purchased the Win Super X's about 25 years ago, and they were not a modern run of them. But it was your basic one hole group, and was good enough for me to break down and get a decent trigger installed in it - around 2 1/2 #.

Welcome to the 10/22 club. probably the most modified firearm after an AR in the US.

Stock, they'll eat just about any 22 ammo you can find. I've had good all around consistent success with automatch.

Not that you'll really want to blow more money on it. I have one fairly stock, and another that probably cost me more than a few of my 1911's if I added up all the things I've done to it... But FYI - the biggest gain I ever had between all mine, for the best money, (even better than the trigger) was to send the stock barrel off and have it cut back and had the chamber recut. and the crown. The difference was amazing.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole. check out rimfire central.

Boolit Mold
    I benchrest 10/22 SK Standard Plus is the most accurate for the money in all my guns.

Boolit Master
    Mine will eat about everything loves CCi Blazers. If you ever get rich look at a Kidd trigger what a diffence .

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the WW Power Points... Reliable and the best performer on small game that I've found. These are a 40 grain HP @ 1260 fps.

Boolit Master
    Power points won't fit in my butler creek mags as they are slightly longer than other 22 rounds but work fine in all my ruger mags .

Boolit Master

Lots and lots and lots of 22 LR.

Boolit Master

Local gun shop had CCI Stingers for $6.50 per 50. Bought a couple of those. Will buy more before my trip. Used to go through a brick of ammo in a weekend shooting rabbits.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    As others have said, more than likely your 10/22 will eat about anything. Although not a hollow point, Federal Auto Match is about the best 22 ammo I have found. It works great in all of my different 22's. While the 10/22 I have will work fine on about any ammo, the Auto Match is the most accurate I have tried. CCI Mini Mags work great also, but slightly less accurate.
    If there isn't a good selection of 22 locally for you, check out Academy Sports online. Free shipping on orders over $25.
    Sorry to hear Washington is trying to become northern Kommifornia.
    Last edited by jimlj; 12-08-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4,like others I steer clear of Rem. they pretty much function with anything, for accuracy I always start testing with Fed champion 40gr. lead and CCI standard. Go to rimfire central for tuning advice tons of it.

Boolit Master

Picked up my 10/22 on Friday, but have been working 12hr shifts since. Leaving tomorrow morning for a 400-mile road trip to my sister's farm so won't be able to even see if the thing works until Tuesday. Mounted the scope on it and will need to sight that in as well.

Back in the good ol' days, I'd go through a brick of ammo in a weekend. For this trip, I'm only bringing 300rds of CCI Mini-Mag HPs and 200rds of CCI Stingers. Those have always worked in everything I've tried them in. Plus, there is a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby in Twin Falls, so if I run low, they will have what I need.

Boolit Master

Rifle is sharp looking, though. Just hope it shoots!

Attachment 231805

Boolit Master
    Clean it ,shoot it ,see what it likes best and what mods you want to make. A 1022 is always a good choice.

Boolit Master

Got back from my trip.

Went to sight in the scope and the vertical adjustment worked, but the lateral adjustments don't. It was shooting 6" to the left at ten yards and the POI wouldn't budge no matter how much I cranked on it. Field and Stream cheap scope that came free with the rifle. I have a couple of extra scopes, but didn't think to bring them with me.

The good news is that the rifle functioned fine and it seemed to be plenty accurate. Didn't even see a single dang rabbit, so no big deal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast