RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluxing and keeping lead from surface oxydation.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Fluxing and keeping lead from surface oxydation.

I normally flux my range scrap with sawdust two or more times before I pour it into ingots. When I cast boolits I melt my ingots and may add some tin. I flux this with sawdust and add about a teaspoon of beeswax. Stirring and then leaving the charred sawdust etc stay on the top to make a seal from the air.

I’ve come across others who use cat litter to cover the alloy when casting. Is there an advantage to using this method ? Do many others do it? Is there a better way than just leaving the old flux on top?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Its the carbon from the wood chips wax pet litter that keep the oxygen away from the lead. When welding food transfer popes in one plant they were purged on the inside with argon co2 mix when welding this pushed the oxygen from the tube and stopped the oxidation and flash thru, leaving a weld that looked like the bead on the outside where it was actually welded. Your "purging" the oxygen from your melt with the carbon layer on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Isn’t cat litter made from clay not carbon? That’s why I thought there could be some other advantage to it. Once when my sawdust got wet, I used Quaker’s rolled oats and it worked fine.

Boolit Master

Anything that can create a barrier between the molten alloy and oxygen will work. I use the saw dust a couple times during smelting. In the casting pot i use wax as the wetting agent and then use borax to clean the alloy and then more borax to seal out the oxygen.

You can use kitty litter all that is is just clay. Saw dust if left in a thick layer. I like borax because it buffs up and expands so it only takes a little bit. You can even use a thick layer of molten wax. Molten wax does a have a **poof** potential though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Isn’t cat litter made from clay not carbon? That’s why I thought there could be some other advantage to it. Once when my sawdust got wet, I used Quaker’s rolled oats and it worked fine.
    Cat litter is made from clay. There is no extra benefit from it. Its just a cheap cover material. Same thing would happen if your poured sand or dirt into the pot. Kitty litter is just easier to clean out.

Organic things like woods and oats ext will turn to carbon which is good for the alloy and purfies it. The sap in pine saw dust will help wet and reduce the oxides back into the alloy. Pine saw dust is the closest you can fet to a true flux for lead. Everything rlse we use needs to be used in combination to actual reduce, wet, and clean the alloy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I use wood chips or sawdust when smelting followed by beeswax. I only use beeswax in my casting pot and don't worry too much about oxidation.

Boolit Master
    I flux with Marvelux, and then cover with new unscented kitty litter. My understanding is that kitty litter is a type of clay known as diatomaceous earth. A property that it has, that I've noticed, is that after a while it breaks down into a real fine dust which covers the melt perfectly. Helps keep the heat uniform and the air out. It is also an excellent oil adsorbent for those times when oil is spilt on a concrete floor!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

Diatomaceous earth is the glass skeletons left behind by diatoms which are a single celled, aquatic plant related to algae. It is almost always white. Often used in swimming pool filters. Clay is different and comes in many forms and colors. It is a very fine particulate.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I really advise using a stick to stir the pot. It gets down into the melt. Due to the specific gravity of lead, there is no way you can stir anything put on top of the alloy down into it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I've not been too concerned with top "scum", and I stir often with a wooden stick during casting. In my mind stirring keep the alloy from separating(?). The "clay" cat litter used to be just diatomaceous earth (a zillion little tiny fossils), same as "oil dry". When put on top of the melt it just seals it from the air. I hadn't read of any "oxygen barrier via carbon", but there's a lot of stuff I don't know!

No tellin' what cat litter is today. When we had our cat we found a litter called "Good Mews", which was a compressed paper like substance. Hard little pellets that resembled rabbit food. I used it for tumbling brass for a while...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I flux with both pine sawdust and wax.
    I use a potato masher to get the flux to the bottom of the pot
    then I use a wire whisk to finish getting a through flux.
    I leave a 1/8 - 1/4 thick layer of chard/ fluxed sawdust granules on top of the pot to work as both an air barrier and to prevent splashing when returning sprues to the pot

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Kitty litter (non clumping) is "Fuller's Earth", can have various things in it including some diatomaceous earth but mainly clays like Kaolinite IIRC?

I've never used it though. Mostly lots of wax

Boolit Grand Master

So pine sawdust is better than others. I didn’t know that. From now on I’ll start separating it. I’ve got all kinds of sawdust.

Boolit Master
    I use sawdust and crayons. Just have to sneak them out when the grandkids arent looking.

Boolit Buddy

I like using crushed walnut shell lizard litter. It’s also useful in a turbo cleaner as media.

Another handy use for the diatomaceous earth is to dust cats and dogs to keep them flea free...maybe ticks too. I’ve also read about it being used as a dust treatment for roaches.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Temperature control is my first concern, over heating just seems to makes things worse. Sap sticky yellow pine sawdust and stirred with cedar shim sticks on big meltdown pot, peas of wax on little pots when it's boolit time.

Banned

Georgia fatwood sticks used to start fires are good for stirring in and smell great too! Diatomaceous earth is about 1000 times more expensive than clay which leads me to question it's use for cat litter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I flux with both pine sawdust and wax.
    I use a potato masher to get the flux to the bottom of the pot
    then I use a wire whisk to finish getting a through flux.
    I leave a 1/8 - 1/4 thick layer of chard/ fluxed sawdust granules on top of the pot to work as both an air barrier and to prevent splashing when returning sprues to the pot
    Cool idea, I never thought of that. I use a slotted spoon, bent 90 degrees to help mix my sawdust in the melt...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Burn pine sawdust

if I don't get fine granules like this I flux (again) with wax

Boolit Grand Master

I ladle cast from a bigger gas fired pot. I use a long handle barbeque spatula to flux and stir then a long handled slotted spoon to remove most of the crud the last gets a regular serving spoon. I flux with wood chips and wax but don't leave a layer on the pot since I ladle cast'
    I keep the ladle in the pot to maintain temp and when I start a pour while filling the ladle I push it down and make a swirl around the pots dia this maintains the mix and helps maintain temp on in the ladle.
    I have read where some of the old shutzen shooters and cast accuracy shooter had a stirring set up that ran to keep the pot mixed and blended from start to finish. A small flat blade turning at 5-8 rpm 2-3" dia circle would keep a pot mixed pretty even.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast