Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross bow scope

Cross bow scope

Any suggestions on a replacement cross bow scope? I am shooting a Parker tomahawk with the factory red hot scope. The factory scope cross hairs are dead on for the ranges listed but the optics could be clearer. I would like for the upgrade to be adjustable to hit on at 20-50 yards if possible.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

I’ve had good luck with Nikon and Hawke crossbow scopes of various flavors. My newest crossbow wears a after market Barrnet fixed 4 and I’ve hit targets center at 60 yards.

Boolit Master
    My Mission "Sniper Lite" wears a Trijicon Reflex. I have it sited in for one inch high at 20 yards, with the heavier Easton FMJ bolts. Shoots flat enough out to 40 without having to use hold over. When hunting where these longer shots may be an option, I switch to Easton's lighter "Bloodline" carbon shaft, for a flatter trajectory.

Winelover

Here is one that have the ranges like my 2 have for how they list it.
    https://www.barnettcrossbows.com/bro...crossbow-scope
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    You aren't going to find any crossbow scope that is "dead on" at more than two distances. The first distance would be the one where you sighted the bow in at, and the second would be the second dot down.....if you have a speed adjustable scope (which is actually just a variable power scope in disguise). If you want clarity in a crossbow scope, you aren't going to get what you get in a good rifle scope unless you get something like a Zeiss. I'm not sure Zeiss is making a lighted scope yet or not for crossbows. Anyway, most crossbow scopes are adequate for their intended ranges....up to around fifty yards. I'm not sure how bad the clarity was on your scope, or what you expect on your new scope. Having shot dozens of different crossbows and looked at many more scopes, I'd suggest you take a look at what TenPoint offers or what Parker offers. Both reasonably priced and suitable for the job. You're still going to have to determine how "close" you are on the three or four dots/stadia lines that aren't truly "right on" and adjust a bit for a perfect hit. Your actual arrow speed may vary with each bow due to factors related to the arrows weight, and most bow scopes are "set" for 350fps. If you are not right on at that number, you're going to get some "error" in calibration. For all practical purposes, they're good enough to get the job done.

I bought an inexpensive PSE X-bow package & I'm really having some fun with it. But the fact that most X-bow makers just throw the scope in is telling in itself. The same with air rifles. These scopes work but for the most part they are "bottom-line" as scopes go. My prediction is that all scope makers will eventually be making quality X-bow scopes as this market surges. We already see hunters willing to put out $1,000+ on a good X-bow that comes topped with a $40 scope. I'd guess that a reticle with multiple, adjustable horizontal cross-hairs or dots will be a feature. I don't pretend to be Nostradamus, just guessing here & time will tell.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

Nikon, same optical clarity as their rifle scopes. Which is to say, well above their price point. I had an illuminated Excalibur at one point. The illuminated reticle is a marketing gimmick at best. In low light conditions it washed out everything even on the lowest setting. Switched to the Nikon and couldn’t be happier.

I am giving Nikon a hard look. It is amazing just how accurate an entry level cross bow can be at typical bow hunting ranges.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

ive got a vortex crossbow scope but I think they discontinued that model

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am giving Nikon a hard look. It is amazing just how accurate an entry level cross bow can be at typical bow hunting ranges.
    I've got a crossbow I paid over a thousand dollars for and it shoots fantastic. Here's the problem: most all crossbows shoot that great, regardless of price. I tell everyone who asks me about crossbows to not waste their money if they think they're going to get a more accurate one if they pay more. They won't. My crossbow will keep five shots inside the white dot on a SpyderWeb target at 55 yards. That's pretty good shooting. I can take my buddies bow that cost a third as much and do the same thing. The single biggest factor in using a crossbow is just getting decent arrows and broadheads for it. FWIW, I just got my 87th deer with a bow last week. Been shooting archery for sixty-four years now.

Boolit Grand Master

Weight and size are what you’re paying for w/ more expensive crossbows. Lighter weight and a more compact package cost more money. The crossbow I started w/ is a complete beast and is only acceptable for tree stand hunting. It’s to wide and weighs to much to trek through the woods w/. I tried it on many occasions and it was no fun. Spent money on a lighter and more compact crossbow and couldn’t be happier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Weight and size are what you’re paying for w/ more expensive crossbows. Lighter weight and a more compact package cost more money. The crossbow I started w/ is a complete beast and is only acceptable for tree stand hunting. It’s to wide and weighs to much to trek through the woods w/. I tried it on many occasions and it was no fun. Spent money on a lighter and more compact crossbow and couldn’t be happier.
    Not really. You're paying for more costly material, metal rails, "better" triggers, and mostly, speed. Everybody wants speed, they think that makes the bow better. I don't know any successful hunters who walk around with their crossbows while hunting deer (again, successful. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while though). I haven't found any crossbow that's a joy to carry around under any circumstances. They're about the most awkward thing imaginable to carry around regardless what type of sling you put on them. The backpack slings are better for carrying them, but not designed to access them quickly. Also, the more expensive ones are made in the USA. I like that, but it doesn't make them shoot better. I buy USA made xbows, but that's just to support the American economy. If cost is a major consideration, just by one that has a dry fire safety on it and comes with a scope. It will have the capability to kill all the deer you hit with it. I've seen two hundred dollar xbows kill deer and shoot small groups out to forty/fifty yards. Most of what you pay for is marketing, not function. It's the guys who spent over a thousand bucks (like I did) who feel an obligation to defend spending the money. Sort of the Emperor's Clothes mentality....you know, "It must be worth it or I wouldn't have spent the money, right"? Hey, if you can afford it buy what ever you want. I was afraid I'd regret getting a cheaper one when I got my first one so I went big. Found out it didn't matter. I'm just sharing a life's lesson.

Boolit Grand Master

Cross bow scope

You’re trying to convince someone that has hunted w/ one for over ten years that they’re wrong. I never said the cheaper ones are inaccurate. I said they’re heavier and larger. A quick glance at the specs will prove my point.

You can equate the same thing to rifles. You can buy an inexpensive Ruger American that will shoot MOA. Or you can spend more on a Kimber Adirondack. On a sheep hunt where ever ounce matters the money spent on the Kimber will be well worth it. It’s how I feel about buying a lighter crossbow that’s more compact. The money spent is well worth it when trekking through the woods.

Boolit Master
    You’re trying to convince someone that has hunted w/ one for over ten years that they’re wrong. I never said the cheaper ones are inaccurate. I said they’re heavier and larger. A quick glance at the specs will prove my point.

You can equate the same thing to rifles. You can buy an inexpensive Ruger American that will shoot MOA. Or you can spend more on a Kimber Adirondack. On a sheep hunt where ever ounce matters the money spent on the Kimber will be well worth it. It’s how I feel about buying a lighter crossbow that’s more compact. The money spent is well worth it when trekking through the woods.
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Get what ever you want. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

You responded directly to what I said twice and said I was wrong both times. Guess I can’t have my own opinion? Accuracy of cheap crossbows is on par w/ the more expensive ones. But there are features on the more expensive ones that make them more desirable. If this wasn’t the case people wouldn’t buy them. And I thought this thread was about crossbow scopes? Should probably get back to discussing them.

Boolit Master

If you dont need magnification, tru-glo makes a reflex crossbow scope that has click change reticles with 5 different callibrations/spacings for different speeds. My boy had a paintball gun that he put one on and it worked quite well.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I have the Zeiss scope on my Barnett crossbow. It’s one where you set the power ring to your bows velocity and has sub-crosshair out to 70 yards. So far the longest shot on deer was 50 yards and it works just fine. The scope is very clear and gathers light well.

If mine were to be lost or damaged tomorrow I’d have a new one ordered by sundown.

Boolit Master
    You responded directly to what I said twice and said I was wrong both times. Guess I can’t have my own opinion? Accuracy of cheap crossbows is on par w/ the more expensive ones. But there are features on the more expensive ones that make them more desirable. If this wasn’t the case people wouldn’t buy them. And I thought this thread was about crossbow scopes? Should probably get back to discussing them.
    I think you need to chill, you're a bit over sensitive. If you want to have the last word, just have it and move on. I've only been shooting archery for sixty-four years, so I probably have some things to learn. Crossbows? About ten years. Don't mess up the OP's post with comments to me, use the PM function and we can have a civil discussion using that function.

Banned

im no crossbow expert but wouldn't go with a 50 dollar red dot. Ive been told (I KNOW) that crossbows recoil impulses are hard on optics. If your going with a red dot step up to a quality unit. Not the 30 dollar pieces of junk that come in those package deals. Same with scopes. Keep the blister pack tascos for 22s. Like a rifle when that once in a lifetime 12 pointer steps out you want to know your optic is going to hold zero. want cheap buy yourself a bushnell trs 25. Nothing fancy but ive yet to see one fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast