Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Westernfield 170A Slugster

Boolit Master

Westernfield 170A Slugster

Anybody ever shot one? Rifled or smoothbore?
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Western Field Model M170A Slugster -- Made in USA -- 12 Gauge For 2 3/4" and 3" Shells -- 24" SmoothBore Barrel with Rifle Sights -- Walnut Stained Hardwood Stock Rubber Recoil Pad -- Removable Box Magazine

Boolit Master

Thanks....
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Indeed, that was the Mossberg model 395K sold under the Westernfield trade name for Montgomery Ward.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Indeed, that was the Mossberg model 395K sold under the Westernfield trade name for Montgomery Ward.
    I have the Mossberg with a poly choke. These guns run between $50-$75.

Boolit Master

I haven't looked around much, but locally I've seen the 395. I guess they were popular as goose guns here on the Texas coast. The 170 Slugster is the first I've seen, the rifle sights caught my attention.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Those style guns are what the Marlin 512 is based off of.

Boolit Master
    If it is the Mossberg I had one with rifle sights back in the 90's. It was a 12 ga. smooth bore and didn't do any better than any other shotgun with rifle sights. Don't remember the group size but I considered it a 50 yd. gun, still somewhat better than most guns with bead sights because you could change the zero. That one kicked so hard your eyes would water.

I had one back about 1970-71 that was a 12ga. with a 28 in. modified choke and bead sights. That gun shot the most even pattern of any shotgun I have ever owned. The funny thing about that one was it shot slugs as good as any one I have ever seen. The recoil lug was a spacer between the receiver and barrel with a hump on top that had a notch for the sights. You could use that notch and bead like a rifle sight and hit a pop can at 50 yds. almost every time. I know it was a fluke that it shot that good but I should have kept it, at that age I didn't know what I had. If I remember correctly I bought it at one of the large discount stores for $38 and tax. I was making about $1.75 an hour so I had to put back a little for a couple of weeks, but still a good value and solid gun.

Dave

Boolit Mold
    I actually just bought one of these yesterday at the range. Having a Westernfield 48A 22 that I like so much, I decided to take it to my lane and rip through a few slugs. It was awesome! I can't say I've ever shot a bolt action 12 gauge before, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm very happy with the buy and it ended up costing me less money than dinner later that evening did.