WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Blackhorn 209

Boolit Mold

Blackhorn 209

I'm sure this has been asked, but has anyone one tried using Blackhorn 209 powder in reloading shotshells & slugs?

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't but it would seem to be perfect for the application...says 209 right on it eh?

Boolit Master
    At the price you pay for a ten oz. bottle, it seems like a ridiculous waste of money to do it. There are many, many, many better powder choices for those applications. What would you be trying to gain by using it?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Powder that's $60-$80 per pound for shotgun loads?

Not when 700X is $18 a pound,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Blackhorn 209 has a rather "mixed" marketing history.

See:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...keless-powder/

Boolit Master
    On the other hand:

Great short article that also covers:

12 gauge 2.5" cartridge with 600 grain round ball driven near 1400 fps from a Greener double rifle using an American Black Powder made to late 19th century standards.

http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/fr...loading-bench/

Boolit Mold
    I wouldn't dump my money into 209 for reloading lots of shotshells, but if this was all you had on hand at the time could it be done safely? Just curious.

Shotgun powders have fairly fast burn rates. BH209 is a smokeless powder modified for use in muzzleloaders and BP pistol and rifle cartridge, with a fairly slow burn rate. I think you you would need to load a lot of it to get any velocity out of a 12ga slug. How much bh209 to load and be safe, i have no idea.

BB

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I didn't know what burn rate is, from what I've read black powder shooters say if you use 100 grains black powder is to reduce 209 to 80% by volume. Lets narrow it down to 410 shotshell @ 1/2 oz #6 shot.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can't find any black powder .410 loads to reduce by 20% as mentioned, another rule of thumb for black powder shotgun loading is to keep the volume of powder equal to the volume of shot. They called this a "square" load. Might be a good place to start?

I would call or email Western powders and see what they say about using bh209 in a shotgun.

BB

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for information I was just curious if anyone had tried this. I will contact Western powders and see what the burn rate of this powder compared to black powder. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pashiner View Post
    If you can't find any black powder .410 loads to reduce by 20% as mentioned, another rule of thumb for black powder shotgun loading is to keep the volume of powder equal to the volume of shot. They called this a "square" load. Might be a good place to start?
    That's the way I learned to load BP in shot shells. I haven't loaded any Blackhorn 209 but have had some good results using Triple 7 and shot. I might have to see what it does with a slug or round ball. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I've done something similar with Pyrodex RS...it shot pretty well with just some tight fitting cardboard wads in once fired Remington gun club hulls...burns them full of holes and makes a mess though. Shells are cheap and smoky powder is fun. I don't think I ever even got close to max pressure with that stuff. It seemed pretty forgiving so long as you stuff everything down tight and the wads fit. It helps to soak a couple of the cardboard wads in melted boolit lube to reduce the buildup of garbage in the bore. Proper fiber wads or gas seals help a lot, but the cardboard worked ok for playing with crimp height and messing around in the back yard with clays.