Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Ruger Auto Pistol conversion Project

In Remembrance

I don't know why but these .25 auto projects interest me. I've previously looked at some neat conversions of single shot and bolt action rifles in .25 auto. Your pistol conversion looks very nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    I don't know why; but these .25 auto projects interest me. I've previously looked at some neat conversions of single shot and bolt action rifles in .25 auto. Your pistol conversion looks very nice.
    Thank you for your Kind Comments.
    the Ruger Auto Pistol is indeed 'Looking Good'
    My Previous conversion of a Ruger 'Single Six' to a ".25ACP+ Single Eight" is also very shootable now.
    And my Modified .32 H&R Ruger Single Six to fire both .32 LC and .32H&R, along with .32ACP is 'doing nicely' also.
    Unfortunately, my gunsmith is too loaded with work to get to my Rifle projects yet.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Rainy here and Cold with a breeze but I did Go to My Local Outdoor Commercial range and fired about 150 Factory cartridges through my Ruger Standard Auto MKII in .25ACP.
    No Joy in adjusting the Sights as the Breeze kept changing and I was shivering in my coat.
    However, The Pistol did demonstrate good Accuracy in spite of me.
    'Pattering' slightly low and to the Left of Bullseye Center Spot. (wind ws from the right, in gusts).

About 4 hours of shooting single shot mode was all I could take this time as I was shivering as I loaded up to go home. Being a Southern California resident, I am NOT used to 'Cold Wet Windy' Conditions nowadays.

Also over my time at the range there were a few 'Loud Boomer' Rifle shooters nearby ringing my ears in spite of earplugs.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The weather Here has continued wet and cold and windy interspersed with partial sunshine and slightly warmer days.
    February turned out wetter than average here, like January had before it.
    Perhaps we will have another "Nondrought" year?
    The Hillsides are Showing Green again after the wildfires of two years ago, and somewhat also after last years wildfires.
    The drive through Little Tungah (sp?) Canyon, Upper Pacoima Canyon, Sand Canyon, and to Soledad Canyon is now open again and is a nice Scenic drive again with seasonal waterfalls in several places visible from the Road.
    The Beauty of the Hills is refreshing to see after the destruction of the Wildfires that turned them Grey and Black and Bare. Even the Wildlife is returning to the area as i saw some in the trip over this road.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    This project with the Ruger 22 pistol remind me of a project I would like to try, but don't have the equipment to do, which would be a single shot cross bolt action to fit on top of the Ruger Mark pistol frame. Done correctly, with the right materials, it would be easy to come up with some interesting cartridge combinations for the pistol, and the cross bolt action can be done in a nice straight pull, t-bolt design. Heck, you could probably make it a repeater!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    This project with the Ruger 22 pistol remind me of a project I would like to try, but don't have the equipment to do, which would be a single shot cross bolt action to fit on top of the Ruger Mark pistol frame. Done correctly, with the right materials, it would be easy to come up with some interesting cartridge combinations for the pistol, and the cross bolt action can be done in a nice straight pull, t-bolt design. Heck, you could probably make it a repeater!
    A custom Idea made to fit a Ruger Std Auto Grip Frame is an intriguing idea.

I guess the Starting point is to purchase a Used Ruger Grip frame and measure the Frame to receiver attachments and their relationship to each other.
    From my own project, I know the receiver is a Tube of .750" inside diameter; so that is a starting point for your Design.
    Perhaps you could start with a solid bar and machine your design out of it to provide for your own bolt design.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-06-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    My .25ACP converted Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol throws its empties into some 'neither Region' that I have been unable to locate at my local Commercial Outdoor Range; whcih means my brass is being lost 100% so far.
    Today I ordered a Lot of .25ACP once fired Brass from Diamond K and at roughly $14/100 it is about the Same price as the least expensive New brass cases I can find advertised.
    I am looking forward to see what quality this lot is.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-06-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    The lot arrived and I found it to be as Advertised; Once fired Range Brass sorted but not decapped nor cleaned.
    An overnight run in my Vibratory Tumbler and Crushed Walnut hulls media cleaned the range dirt off nicely.
    They are now stored in a 50 Cal Surplus ammo can until I get around to decapping them, when they will be sorted by head stamp and put in plastic cartridge boxes to await hand loading.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Update:
    First lot of 500 cases from 'Diamond K' has been processed and is storedawaiting comfortable weather to reload them.
    A Second order of 'Diamond K' for 'all they had left' lot of ~475 cases have also been processed And are awaiting reloading.
    Overall most were R-P, over 500, then PPU, WIN, Augula, W-W, GFL and a few others in decreasing numbers to make the total cases processed.

My .221 Atkins forming project is on temporary hold for thetime being. I am Hoping one of the other .22LR barrels I hav ewil prove out as usable when my gunsmith returns to the shop.

I took some time and upgraded a 2.5" to the foot scale Narrow Gauge Model Uintah Raliway flat car to take to the Los Angeles Live Steamers Railroad Museum Spring Meet last Memorial Day weekend. I needed to raise the Coupler heights, add 'safety chains' and a air brake train pipe to the model to bring it to LALSRM "Level 1" specifications for operation on their railroad. Their 7.5" gauge track is over 6000 feet of main line with additional alternate routes, sidings, and spurs raising that total greatly. Model scales so far used on their Track range from 1.5 inch to the foot up to 6 inches to the foot (a visiting model of a 15" gauge WW1 French Ten HP French Gas Mechanical locomotive that the Owners' two five year old children could ride inside and operate under Supervision).

LALSRM also has ground level track in 3.5" and 4.75" gauges available for operations and elevated Gauge 1 for use of those with live Steam models in that gauge. There is also a "G" gauge ground level 'Garden Layout for Electric Model running, similar to the '1 gauge; but reserved for electrics so as not to get steam oil on their rails.

I did enjoy a very good Memorial Day Weekend.
    It took me the following week to 'recover'!

Chuckling,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-26-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: corrected typing error.

Boolit Master
    I may have saved up enough 'Disposable Funds' to pay for the EDM cutting of my donor magazine bodies now. This depends on how my July Bills turn out.

Being 'retired' and not getting any 'Work Calls' from my Union dispatcher sure cuts into my 'Disposable Funds'! First come Taxes And Utilities, then Insurance and Vehicle Registration, then Food and Pet Care, and finally Clothing and the remainder is my 'Disposable Funds' for the Month. Since my Retirements are Basically Fixed monthly payments; yet my Taxes and Utilities keep rising, this is a loosing proposition no matter what else happens.

Luckily, the June 6th LAUSD Special Added Tax proposition Failed to pass (57% NO to 43% Yes) so that bullet was dodged for now.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I dropped off my eight donor magazine bodies at the Wire EDM shop on Monday, July 1st, to be cut so I can later have them welded into four long bodies then rework the feed lips to Ruger Standard Auto angle to fee .25ACP cartridges in my Center Fire converted Ruger Standard Auto MKII pistol with its custom 8-1/8" long .25ACP barrel.

The Pistol shoots 'just fine' as a "Single Shot Auto Eject" handgun and I am looking forward to being able to actually use it as originally intended with magazine feed.

The one 'drawback' so far is I have not found any of my fired cases at the Commercial Outdoor range I use; which means 100% LOSS of brass cases so far!

Chev. William

I have enjoyed this thread for years.

Just looked again and saw it wans't years. Maybe it just semed like it waiting for the next update!

Boolit Master
    Happy July 4th Holiday Everyone!!!!
    On July 3rd, I picked up the cut donor magazine bodies from the Wire EDM Shop with a pleasant surprise:" the Charge was only $200, instead of the estimated $300! ('Astro Cut' in Van Nuys, CA did the cutting.)
    Considering that he had to set up each body individually, feed the Wire through the selected hole in the Body, 'tweak' the alignment to cut square to the body and on the hole diameter line; this sounds like a fair price.

Obviously the Next step is to get the body parts welded into four long body blanks to then remake the feed lips to Ruger feed Angles.

Perhaps sometime this month as the month is still 'new' yet.
    It will depend on what the estimate is for the welding work when I present it to 'Flite Weld'; a local Aerospace Certified Welding shop near me.
    I have used them (Flite Weld) in the past to weld up some extended bodies for use in a .30 M1 Carbine conversion to .45 Win. Mag. with a Rifle length barrel that is still a 'work in progress' in the hands of my gunsmith. The lengthened bodies were assembled as single stack ten shot .45 Win. Mag. magazines using aftermarket Wolfe Magazine springs and home made Followers.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Flite Weld declined the Work due to a full schedule with large Backlog.
    They did suggest another Welding shop who did accept the Work.
    However, that shop is also backlogged with work so it will be some time before they get to my small, 'fiddly' job.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I received a call from the Welding shop that he had problems putting my bodies together and asked me to stop by and talk to him.

I stopped by the next morning and he told me he only got one partially welded and it 'stuck' on my Copper Bar Jig.

He also said he had a Big order in that he could not set aside; so he would not be able to do any more on my magazine bodies at thais time.

I now have the materials in my hands again with one body partially welded (front and back edges but not sides) and in need of dressing the weld beads down flush with the Body.

He did hold out hope that he might be able to try again later in the year.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Long delay in posting due to 'sick time', I developed a nasty infection in my upper right leg that turned out to be "MRSA" and required emergency hospitalization and surgery to drain the infection site. I was 'treated' to multiple IV of Powerful antibiotics that had the side effect of causing "loose bowels".
    Total time under Medical care was about a Month and a half.
    Now back home and able to access my computer and 'putter' on my hobbies but the current Covis-19 Virus Brouhaha has me mostly stuck at home without access to vendors of needed services to advance my projects.
    The current 'hangup' is making a new base for my magazine Sub-project in order to fit the welded body to the Ruger grip handle, then a new follower for the reformed magazine body and feed lips..
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-05-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    ARGGG! Volquartsen is selling Ruger SAP MKIV 'uppers' at clearance prices and I am, as a California Citizen, NOT Allowed to Buy any!
    It seems Volquartsen buys Ruger Standard Auto MKIV Pistols for their Grip handles and the Receiver/Barrel is surplus to their needs.

A Stripped receiver with 6.5" barrel and NO Sights or other parts is listed at $25.00 each!

What a frustrating situation for me.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Some good things in this time of Covid-19 virus panics and lockdowns:
    My Local Gun Shop (in Glendale, CA) has had .25ACP ammo in stock the last two times I was in, so I bought 200 rounds each trip.
    They also had a bit of other ammo i have been looking for available such as Lead bullet 44-40 and even a box of .32 Colt!

Then the last time I was in there I began the purchase of an old Iver Johnson top break hammerless ,32S&W five shot with a 3 inch barrel, and mostly gone nickel plating finish, with price DROS, Transfer fees. sales tax, and Credit Card Surcharge for $157.05 so in about ten days I will take possession of it.

Now I will be looking for .32 S&W ammo to fed it.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Sadly, no progress on the Magazine build as the person offering
    to 'whittle' my base pattern is not currently available
    for my project.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast