Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powder coat more accurate?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Since no one else has brought it up and it's the main reason I started PC'ing.....there is a WHOLE LOT LESS SMOKE with PC'd boolits. Realize that lube and powder are a factor but as I gradually use up my "lubed ammo" inventory, for me, the difference in smoke generation is amazing.
    Dies stay cleaner, fingers don't get greasy, ammo does not get greasy, guns stay cleaner, and I have noticed that in 30/30, 308, 22 hornet, and other rifles that group sizes tend to get smaller.
    BTW, Brake KleenŽ is a great way to lean sizing lube out of your seating die. Just remember to seal the surface with a light layer of oil and blow out the excess oil
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Since no one else has brought it up and it's the main reason I started PC'ing.....there is a WHOLE LOT LESS SMOKE with PC'd boolits. Realize that lube and powder are a factor but as I gradually use up my "lubed ammo" inventory, for me, the difference in smoke generation is amazing.
    that would have been my next question, I figured it would be less smoke. and less lead dust in the air,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Master
    I have varying success. Tests with PC in a 22 hornet was horrible. I had feed issues PCing a 6.8spc due to profile changes. On the other hand, my 1891 Argentine mauser loves PC bullets and I have had good luck with revolver and semi automatic pistols.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

I have started PC'ing all of my 9mm 124's. I have several 9mm semi-autos and all tended to shoot fairly well, but one of them would lead up and would do it in fairly short order. The cause? It really need a slightly larger bullet than my others. On a whim, I tried the same bullet coated and sized to the same diameter that caused it to lead and it shot cleanly and also tightened up the groups.

I do not know how many other calibers I will PC for, it is a slower process than running them thru a Star or even a Lyman and I still have plenty of lube. I have tried the process on a limited basis with my 300 blackout and have not been impressed. But, I am not sure that I am using good loading data, just have not spent enough time with it. I am also not sure that I am using the best bullet, I am using the Lyman 311041... it feeds well but seems to create more pressure than I would like. I have tried a few of the Lee 155 RN as well and it made groups, but not good ones. I was hitting 1739 fps with 10 shot groups and internally the AR was clean after about 100 of them.

Has anyone tried lubing after PC ? Would that give the benefits of PC, being able to use softer alloys, and still allow higher speeds in a rifle?
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

I think accuracy is a wash up to a point. Have a friend pushing a .30 cal 2200 FPS with PC and no leading. That doesn't
    "normally" happen with lube

What I like the most , is reaching into a jar and grabbing a handful of bullets in dead of summer and my hand is not covered in lube, my dies are cleaner and my barrels rarely need swabbing. I'm different from most of you all, I shoot more rifles. I can't think of anything that would make me want to use traditional lube again.

I go to 2700 with 168gr PCd cast in 308W, accurate and no leading. Max Hodgdon book value for jax bullets AND not a max powder load.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12