Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Kirk stamped lead bar

Kirk stamped lead bar

Looking at 56 lb bar of lead.
    KIRK stamped with a672 also stamped in.
    Curious if any one would know the alloy comp.
    ThanksAttachment 230828Attachment 230829
    Last edited by Digger; 11-21-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master

A quick google search did not provide any help. Maybe someone better with computers than me might find something.

Boolit Master

Send a piece of it to BNE and then you will know.

Boolit Buddy
    I have similar bars and Alcoa bars. They have all been very soft lead so far.
    You can cast a few slugs and test with a Saeco tester.

Boolit Master
    Even if somebody has something that looks the same doesn't guarantee that the composition is a match (I have a Federated bar that looks exactly like solder, but is actually Woods metal).

Still, those dents make me think that it's pretty soft. How does it sound when tapped with something hard? Can you try the pencil test?

Of course, if you want an exact analysis, I second Springfield's suggestion to contact BNE.

I wonder if the a672 is a melt temp...if so...that would also make it soft....just thinking out loud here.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    That bar looks like it has "ears" on each end about the same thickness. Maybe ballast? Send a lb to BNE and have him XRF it. You'll know for sure.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Most lead pigs have ears to facilitate lifting. The self palatizing bundle I bought from Doe Run in Herculanium, Mo. Was stacked with the ears alternating so a fork lift could lift it from any side. (Weight 2210lb).
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

dropped or struck it goes "thunk" then it's soft lead. It goes "tink" when struck then something harder. That said a lot of different alloys are hard enough to go "tink" when struck. COWW's can and linotype or pewter certainly will be hard enough to ring when struck.

Sending a pound as payment and bb sized sample to have it tested will tell you for sure what you have. Otherwise you just have to go off of hardness to figure out how to use it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    You could do the pencil hardness test on it to get an idea.

Just wanted to say thank you to all that gave input here ...
    ongoing education for sure.
    digger
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Buddy
    My first thot was that someone stamped a Roman numeral #2 so they would remember its alloy, or they just pounded on something maybe that left that impression. Redhawk might have the answer tho. When it comes to lead, I'm too greedy, a pound goes a long way for me, so sending any out isn't an (OCD) option. I'd just clean a pot out and melt enough to pour a few boolits then use my hardness tester to evaluate for my needs. Just my .02 (and its worth about as much as it cost!) If you have it tested, let us know what you find out.

Boolit Master
    KIRK
    Status/Status Date:
    EXPIRED
    5/4/1993
    Serial Number: 71598021
    Filing Date: 5/24/1950
    Registration Number: 0562192
    Registration Date: 7/29/1952
    Goods and Services: TIN, ZINC, LEAD, AND LEAD-ANTIMONY ALLOYS IN THE FORM OF PIGS, INGOTS, OR BARS; TYPE METAL IN THE FORM OF PIGS, INGOTS, AND BARS; BABBITT METAL IN THE FORM OF INGOTS OR BARS; AND SOLDER IN THE FORM OF INGOTS, BARS, RODS, AND WIRE.

I think this is where this came from. Found with searching for KIRK trade mark. IDK still doesn’t tell what its made of tho. That will just have to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    KIRK
    Status/Status Date:
    EXPIRED
    5/4/1993
    Serial Number: 71598021
    Filing Date: 5/24/1950
    Registration Number: 0562192
    Registration Date: 7/29/1952 .......

.....I think this is where this came from. Found with searching for KIRK trade mark. IDK still doesn’t tell what its made of tho. That will just have to be tested.
    For a large chunk of lead or if a rich alloy is suspected then testing is especially worthwhile. Although in many cases just getting the hardness in the right range is sufficient irrespective of the precise alloy. Me I would send member BNE the pound of lead he charges for testing and have him tell you exactly what is in that big chunk. Make it a whole lot easier to use it as an ingredient if you knew what it was.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

There is really no way to know outside of having it tested. My guess would be that its soft. That opinion comes from looking at the dents and scratches on it and the color. There are a few things that you can do to it to help you guess. Scratching it with a thumb nail will tell you if its soft or hard. Banging on it or dropping it and listening for a ding or a thunk can also show if it is hard or soft. If you can melt it at a controlled temperature the melting temperature will also help you guess. None of these methods will tell the alloy.

Unknown alloys are another reason that I smelt in large batches. I would probably put a drop of acid on it to check for Zinc and drop that sucker into the next 350# pot of soft lead that I melt.

Trading a pound of lead for an XFR test is a real bargain. BNE provides this service for the members here and its a very fair charge in my opinion. That pound of lead does not have to be the same as that being tested. I have a few different alloys and I offer him the choice between them but I think he accepts any type of lead.