Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Trail cams

Boolit Master

Trail cams

Any one here have Simmons trail cams? If so any good/ bad info on them?

Boolit Master
    I have been very satisfied with my Browning trail cams.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    If you're new to trail cams, you need to understand which features are important and decide based on that. Trigger speed, battery life, detection range, and several other capture features are what you need to look at. Also, warranty. Most cameras you buy don't last over a year. Some like Cuddeback offer 2-5 years on select cameras. I've owned about every brand out there over the last twenty years and there's a big difference in some of them. I've taken two different cameras and hung them in the same location and one would get a hundred pics in one week and the other might have two or three. And in spite of that I see people rave about the one brand that got the three pics because it's the brand they owned and they're thrilled with the pics they got. Generally, get a Cuddeback, Moultrie, or last, a Browning for a decent camera under two hundred bucks.

Boolit Master

You should check out the research as done on this site CHASING GAME https://www.chasingame.com/

They have spent about a decade dedicated to Game and Trail Camera testing, shooting trials, battery die off, flash, wake up speed, and it is all out there for your reviewing pleasure.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

iM just looking for the basic you know take a pic and the time . Never had one and do,nt want to break the bank
    Last edited by wgr; 11-22-2018 at 02:02 AM.

I just ordered a Browning Strike Force Pro XD just today. I’ve heard good things about Browning trail cams. My old Bushnell finally bit the dust and photo quality left a lot to be desired. Check out this place for reviews, videos and photos. https://www.trailcampro.com/
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Boolit Grand Master

Choosing a camera can be mind boggling! Price wise, anywhere from $29 to over $800. I just bought 2 on Amazon that seem to work ok. Amazon'c choice, $59, Chinese made. We'll see how they hold up but for now they make decent pictures. With all the info they advertise they leave out the one thing I really want to know. What battery do they use?

Boolit Master
    Other than Reconyx or Buckeye, they're all Chinese made. That's part of the problem. They don't plate any of the connectors inside the camera and they corrode and quit working.
    iM just looking for the basic you know take a pic and the time . Never had one and do,nt want to break the bank
    I started out with that idea and soon realized that it was pretty much like throwing my money away. You're going to get what you pay for. Hanging cameras out and hoping you get pics is.....well, pretty much hoping. You can't count on them to capture the shot or even get much of anything. You're going to pay at least 125-150 for a decent camera that you can expect to work well and last for more than six months to a year.

Boolit Master

That's sad for you NSB.

I have had tremendous success, reliability, battery life, many thousands of wildlife shots from multiple brands in multiple price ranges. I started with RECON TALON IR's @ $250.00, a good camera with crisp pictures, aiming laser, but ultimately a bit too slow to "wake up" plus uses 8 type "D" cell batteries, but batteries lasted 6 to 8 weeks over thousands of day and night pictures. I still have two of four (one was stolen; one I put batteries in wrong and burned its electronics up - laser still works though and is cool to mess with cats) and the other two are still working after 10-years.

I moved to MOULTRIE M-990i (Refurbished @ $108.00) using 8 "AA" cell batteries with very good results. These have taken literally 1000's of wildlife photos, have not degraded, corroded, deteriorated, been attacked by squirrels, or exhibited insincere battery drain. They wake up comparatively quickly, stop movement, display antlers, butts, or whatever side the wildlife offers day and night, black/white and color, and are focused from close to far.

As others said, you get what you pay for...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    That's sad for you NSB.

I have had tremendous success, reliability, battery life, many thousands of wildlife shots from multiple brands in multiple price ranges. I started with RECON TALON IR's @ $250.00, a good camera with crisp pictures, aiming laser, but ultimately a bit too slow to "wake up" plus uses 8 type "D" cell batteries, but batteries lasted 6 to 8 weeks over thousands of day and night pictures. I still have two of four (one was stolen; one I put batteries in wrong and burned its electronics up - laser still works though and is cool to mess with cats) and the other two are still working after 10-years.

I moved to MOULTRIE M-990i (Refurbished @ $108.00) using 8 "AA" cell batteries with very good results. These have taken literally 1000's of wildlife photos, have not degraded, corroded, deteriorated, been attacked by squirrels, or exhibited insincere battery drain. They wake up comparatively quickly, stop movement, display antlers, butts, or whatever side the wildlife offers day and night, black/white and color, and are focused from close to far.

As others said, you get what you pay for...
    Like I said earlier, Cuddeback, Moultrie, or Browning. Batteries in all three brands will last months and take thousands of pictures. Cost....around one-fifty each....give or take a bit. My only animal attacks were from bears and Cuddeback supplied replacement parts. If you want to "try" cameras, buy them at someplace like Dick's Sporting Goods sometime in late summer. By the time they fail around the end of hunting season, you can still take them back and get a refund or another camera. My experience was that over half of them quit working by then. Also, battery life was around a couple of weeks and they missed a lot of shots due to filter problems while changing from daylight to dark. With most newer cameras that take AA batteries, you can also buy an auxiliary battery pack and go for around a year on the batteries in the camera and the aux. pack plugged in at the same time. I keep around nine-ten cameras out on my place year round.

Boolit Master
    I'm using Cuddebacks. Operate on eight AA batteries that last over 6 months, including the Winter. My cameras are on opposite ends of my food plot, so I they're taking a lot of pictures. Customer support is very good..............their in Wisconsin and speak English. The one's I use are the 1231 Series and retail for @ $150. First one I purchased at Optic's Planet at close to retail. When I registered it with Cuddeback, they sent me an email on a second one for @ $115 with a free Genius Mount including tiltable lockable accessory pack. About six months ago, Bass Pro had the cameras, I use for $75............... so I picked up another. Had that one stop taking night pictures. Called Cuddeback and they walked me through the menu to troubleshoot. They determined the filter need replacing. Sent the camera back and it returned, repaired, in just over a week. Couldn't be happier with the brand and the service.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using the cheapest tasco Walmart has they seem to work and I don't get upset when a 30 dollar camera goes out not the best but I get pics and time