RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger Security Six grip options

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Security Six grip options

So last weekend I bought a Ruger Security Six Four inch barrel blued with a set of god awful target grips. I thought no problem I'll just find a set of stock take off service style wooden grips or get a set of Hogue Monogrips for it.

The problem is that it is a first year production, i.e. SN in the 150 range, and all I can find is stuff that fits SN 151 and up.

What is the difference? Can a set meant for the newer guns be made to fit, or do I need to just make my own?

Thanks for any help,

Robert

Perhaps e-bay for some originals? Altamont also comes to mind. Maybe Pachmayer, if rubber would be satisfactory.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    The later grip frame is wider in both dimensions than the 150 series. I'v had both and I was fortunate in finding a set of Herrett Shooting Stars for the earlier version. As they are my favorite after market grip style I never looked farther. Call or email Herrett in Twin Falls Idaho and see if they still have a set in stock. Also, check Altamont.

Boolit Master
    As noted above,, the frames are different,, and grips do not easily interchange w/o looking bad.
    Customs or old stock is the only way to go.
    Look around,, as there are some out there.
    Or,, if you are handy with tools,, why not "modify" the current grips to fit your hands?

Boolit Grand Master
    Okay, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for an old original set and probably give making a set from scratch a try.

The ones on the gun right now aren't really candidates for alteration because they have a spring metal tab on the right side that is meant to hold the hammer pivot pin in, and it just flat looks atrocious, at least to me.

I've got a chunk of well seasoned black walnut that would work, although from what I remember it is pretty straight grained which should make it easy to work if I can find it. Failing that there is a lot of very well seasoned hedge (aka Osage Orange)around here, which can make a decent looking set of handgun stocks although it can be hard to work.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I think I have a set of original Ruger wood grips if you want to try them I’ll look for them.

Boolit Master

A couple people mentioned Altamont. I checked there recently and they didn't have any grips listed for the Security Six.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master
    Silver Jack Hammer PM sent.

Further inspection with a good light shows the set I have was made in Italy. The ink stamping bled together making it look like "made HRT", with the grip screw hole obliterating the in.

Robert