WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De-bluing a barrel

I accidentally discovered how to remove bluing when I attempted to clean my Ruger Old Army cylinder the first time by dropping the cylinder into a pan of boiling water that had some vinegar in it. Left it in too long. Big mistake. I was heartbroken. The cylinder looked like it was 100 years old. Down to the original white steel, for the most part.

Upside: I learned how to use Birchwood Casey Cold Bluing solution. All better now.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Thanks for all the tips ! I didn't wait long enough and botched the job, now I have to redo every thing, only this time I will slow down and take my time.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve used Naval Jelly and other similar stuff when removing a lot of surface rust. The problem with it and other strong acids is they all etch the surface to some extent.

If you’re barrel is in good shape, I wouldn’t take the chance with strong rust removal products. For a couple of bucks, you should buy a product made for just that.

Boolit Buddy
    You want to remove the bluing without using any chemicals use varying grits of sand paper. I have removed the bluing from several double barrels that I have slow rust blued. Just don't sand as hard where you have any writing/stamping.

Birchwood Casey makes a liquid blue and rust remover that works well. Several years ago a guy I
    know bought it to remove a rusty finger print from the action of Brn A5 shotgun. Gun was mint and
    the finger print was driving him nuts. He put BC on a cotton ball and wiped print. It took the print
    off - and the blue across the swipe he made. It wipes blue off like water. I have used it on several
    brands of guns. Most recently a Ruger Security 6 cylinder. On side had some light pitting from being
    stored for years in leather holster. Took everything off to bare metal. Trouble is I can't find a cold blue that works well on S-6 cylinder.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    White Vinegar is a great, safe, cheap! rust remover. I soaked rusty old tools in it for a few days (forgot), and it etched them and actually removed the chrome plating! I added a bit of Dawn dish soap to cut the grease. If you only go a couple hours, checking frequently it would be a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Birchwood Casey makes a liquid blue and rust remover that works well. Several years ago a guy I
    know bought it to remove a rusty finger print from the action of Brn A5 shotgun. Gun was mint and
    the finger print was driving him nuts. He put BC on a cotton ball and wiped print. It took the print
    off - and the blue across the swipe he made. It wipes blue off like water. I have used it on several
    brands of guns. Most recently a Ruger Security 6 cylinder. On side had some light pitting from being
    stored for years in leather holster. Took everything off to bare metal. Trouble is I can't find a cold blue that works well on S-6 cylinder.
    You may want to use Van's gun blue. It worked good for me on several guns. Get it direct from Van's on line. Follow the directions and you'll have no problems. Good luck.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I use muratic acid. Wipe it on, then wipe it off. Rinse well and put something on to keep from rusting.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    You may want to use Van's gun blue. It worked good for me on several guns. Get it direct from Van's on line. Follow the directions and you'll have no problems. Good luck.
    Bob
    I picked up a bottle at a gun show. Haven’t tried it yet. Another project for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12