Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFL transfer, how long should you wait?

Boolit Grand Master

As soon as it comes in the door I call the owner and he can pick it up in an hour. In the bigger shops in NE 24-48 hours max.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Ive found that actual shops don’t like performing transfers. A small kitchen table FFL is the way to go. You should be able to find one through the GunBroker link.
    Thanks for the tip, I'd never heard that until now.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have never had to wait that long. in fact was a hour when the line was over loaded and that was for hand guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I’m assuming you used GunBroker’s FFL finder?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

I was amazed at the prices some want for transfers in your area. Who’s going to pay $65 when others charge $25?
    john lives in the blue section of PA. he needs to move out here to "Free America".

Boolit Master
    Many sellers allow you a 3 day inspection period after receipt by thr FFL. Your moronic dealer is wasting your inspection period. If there are any problems with the new gun you are stuck.

BTW he is holding property that legally belongs to you. Make him do his job and hand it over and never go back.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

FFL transfer, how long should you wait?

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    john lives in the blue section of PA. he needs to move out here to "Free America".
    While Bensalem may be more liberal the state has the same laws throughout. He’s west of the Delaware so he’s in “Free America”. Since that’s a little over an hour away I guess I don’t live in “Free America” even though I’m right on the border of South East PA and Alabama.

Sounds like your ffl dealer has some issues. Around here it’s getting more difficult to find small ffl dealers that don’t mind doing transfers and I fear more onerous Cuomo laws coming down the pike.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    LGS told me it would take about a week before they would be able to let me sign for my rifle (from an out of state FFL). Tomorrow will be two weeks since they received it.
    The shop I dealt with before sat on a gun for three weeks and when I came in to ask about it the owner looked at me like I tried to sleep with his daughter. How long does it normally take to log the gun and how long is an appropriate time for me to wait before inquiring?
    I don't want to be That Guy but I've had anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars 'out there' and the longer it takes the more I worry about getting robbed or the item being misrepresented.
    I have never been to a single shop that wouldn't let me pick up my gun pretty much as soon as it was delivered to them.

I would find a different FFL.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I pick the occasional gun up from an FFL that's 30 miles away but fairly busy, despite that they call me about the same day a new item shows up, and only will hold it a week for me to get there. That's pretty acceptable really IMO. They only have so much space to store stuff. For any FFL place to take more than 2-3 days to log your gun in and call you, is, as others have said, ridiculous. And I imagine maddening too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    I can't wait to get anywhere west of here...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Many sellers allow you a 3 day inspection period after receipt by thr FFL. Your moronic dealer is wasting your inspection period. If there are any problems with the new gun you are stuck.

BTW he is holding property that legally belongs to you. Make him do his job and hand it over and never go back.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Ended up working late tonight but we plan to finish up early tomorrow. No point in supporting a business that doesn't support their customers.

Can't get list on atf site to work, but gun broker has over 20 pages in PA. Get a cheap guy close as you can, not full service store. $50? Gee, robbery.

Atf gives me 5 days to log in and out. But that is irrelevant to your situation. That is just documentation into and out their log. If they don't do it day they receive the gun, they are both ignorant and incompetent. Hold for a week or two, bull. Jerking you around. Same day as they get it in should happen. Otherwise They could be responsible for any loss if gun is damaged. They held up YOUR inspection.

Boolit Master

Ignorant ffl or maybe they are busy hunting with your gun?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ignorant ffl or maybe they are busy hunting with your gun?
    That or passing it around like a cheerleader after the big game...

Boolit Grand Master

I've bought firearms from all over the country both privately through auction sites and from companies like Sportsmans Guide, CDNN etc. I've used 4 different FFL's in my area and all were same day from receipt.

If your FFL is sitting on the gun for more than a day or two you need to go elsewhere. 2 weeks is silly. Best is to find a private person working out of their house although they are getting harder to find. Guy I'm using now charges $20, emails the day it shows up and I usually go pick it up the next Fri or Sat. Always takes a couple of hours because we talk guns the whole time and he shows me his new toys.

BTW: If I were in your shoes and the time the firearm was held was unreasonable like the 2 weeks your talking about I might be inclined to call the ATF and ask a few questions and file a complaint. Might not do any good but then again, I doubt the FFL cares to get a call or visit from the local ATF Agent over this considering the 5 day period mentioned above. "Why are you holding firearms over the 5 day period proscribed by ATF rules" is most likely not a question that FFL want's to hear as it probably would be followed by an inspection of his books.

Can't get list on atf site to work, but gun broker has over 20 pages in PA. Get a cheap guy close as you can, not full service store. $50? Gee, robbery.

Auction Arms has a list that I use. Most every site that sells has one. I've never seen one that cost's more than $35 and I don't use them. I understand that they want you to buy from them and sometimes with shipping and the fee it makes sense but anything more than that and they are ripping you off.
    Last edited by jonp; 11-22-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Jonp has best advice if you have further issues. Any BS out of them, and either threaten atf call or wait till you have gun in hand and just do it... depends on how ornery you want to be. And no one wants the atf to show up..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ADMIN

Locate another FFL dealer.
    I have arrived ten mins after my pistol arrived at my dealer and walked out ten mins later.
    I have a CWP so there is no background check so however long it takes me to fill out the 4473 is how long I am there.
    Unless of course I BS with the deal cause I have known him for years.

Boolit Buddy
    The LGS I deal with calls me when the gun arrives and they want me to be there when they open the package in case there is a problem with the item. We both inspect the gun and it is logged in. I do the paperwork and walk out with it as soon as it clears the background check. You need to find another place to deal with.

Boolit Master
    I was standing there talking to my FFL holder. Mailman shows up with my rifle. I open the box and the FFL puts the yellow form on the counter. I got all the bubble wrap off and inspect. Looks good so we do the transfer. I'm like others. When it shows up they send an email. The FFL says it's $20 more dollars then he had before. He'll gladly do the all day for that. I would too. $20 for 10 minutes work. It ain't doctor or lawyer pay but still pretty good.

Boolit Master
    Need a new gun shop, last several guns I ordered, I often showed up when they were still in the box, took my gun home pretty quick.

Guess some shops just do not think they are making enough off transfers so put little effort into it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast