Graf & SonsInline FabricationWidenersStainLess Steel Media
RotoMetals2Repackbox

Thread: Vertical Stringing

Boolit Master

Vertical Stringing

Back when Ruger first introduced their #3 rifle, I bought one chambered for 22 Hornet.
    It never was a real tack driver but would shoot at MOA with the right loads.
    I have fired a few thousand rounds through it. Mostly shooting at sage rats.
    My biggest issue with it was to get it to shoot round groups. Most groups opened up vertically
    .It now has begun to vertical string my favorite load that shot 23/4 inch round groups.
    My deer rifle is a #1 in 25-06. It does not have the vertical stringing issue.
    I have read that the Ruger single shots have problems with vertical stringing.
    What do you people know about this issue and have you heard of a solution.
    Enquiring minds want to know....dale

I remember reading an article on them in Rifle magazine. It said that forend tension was the usual culprit with these rifles. One solution offered was to experiment with different size o-rings between the forend and barrel, slipped over the forend screw.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, .30 WCF, .45-70 Gov't.

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    I've had 2 - a 223 and a 4570.
    I wouldn't do it now but back then I discarded the barrel band and contoured the forend into a Sporter configuration. Without the barrel band tension both guns shot quite a bit better.
    You can remove the barrel band and shoot some groups without it to see if it helps. The forend is held on by a screw from underneath if I remember correctly. The barrel band is just decorative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Check the torque on the action screws. If that doesn't help, check for wear points in the stock/action it and in the lockup.
    To Thomas Jefferson: It's America! We can have our plows AND our guns!

http://lindsayfarmonsilvercreek.blogspot.com/