WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tested 32ACP on hog

For what I did to start this post was just a test to see what that round would do to a hog. Outpost explain to me better for how to do it with the 32acp. I found out what I wanted till the next type of round I want to test out. The hog was going no matter what was going to happened. The farmer said about use of his 22 rifle.But I wanted to do what I did.It was nice to see what the out come was after.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Was sitting in the kitchen one frosty morning drinking coffee and a farmer friend I went to church with came by and asked me to kill a steer he had down sick as the neighbor that usually killed them for him was busy. I picked up my Marlin M1894 and some .357 Mag loads with the 358429. We went over to his place and I walked around the corner of the barn and here this steer is down. Looked dead to me but I popped it three times in the back of the head to be sure. Twitched a little on the first shot. Several other steers in the lot were getting nervous and tromping around. We closed the gate and he said he'd get it with the tractor later. Went up to the local garage where we hung out and moved in and sat by the fire. The owner came in and told my buddy that he'd found time to go by and shoot the downed steer. We busted out laughing and told him what had happened. That steer was killed twice. No wonder the rest of the steers in the lot were nervous. Guess with that twice over killing, they figured they'd be next./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Michael,

I find it HUGELY interesting that the Colt 1851 Navy, with its .375", 80-grain lead round ball and 20 grains of 3Fg black powder, killed multitudes of bad guys in its day, and very closely approximates the velocity and energy of a .32 S&W Long revolver, or heavy-bullet .32 ACP mousegun, about 850 fps...
    There is some strange brew percolating there, make no mistake. Ranch Dog has been demonstrating that even his small diameter pocket pistol bullet designs are humane killers of hogs in the right conditions, and we THINK that this is down to large meplat, high sectional density, and good penetration - probably using alloys that are a bit on the hard, non-expanding side of the scale.

Then you've got Elmer Keith (who was very much of the above mindset and a pooh-pooher of pocket pistol cartridges) complimenting the effectiveness of the 1851 Navy Colt - which is about as polar opposite that formula as you can get - in Sixguns. It lacks speed, sectional density, meplat, and mass. Makes me a bit curious.

This thread prompted me to look up the Wikipedia on Bill Hickok's shootings. While it isn't mentioned which of them were specifically with his '51 Colts, a heart shot from 75 yards and numerous head shots would seem to back up the premise that, after accuracy, all else is petty details. It does make one wonder if all the .32 needs to be a serious contender is better sights and more radius between them.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Last time I slaughtered a hog I used a 195 grain 358430 from a .38 Special snubby. Down through the skull, out the lower jaw and several inches into the ground. Hog dropped, DRT.

The local slaughterhouse used to use .22LR in a rifle for everything except bison. Bison needed one round from a M1 carbine. They wanted to switch from the .22 to .357, and asked about a single shot rifle for that, but they had a cheap 12 ga single shot on hand, so I ordered a .357 chamber insert, and they never looked back. You always have to mindful as to where the slugs will end up.

Getting close to the head of a caged critter with a pistol can get iffy. They see that had coming at them and get excited, swinging their head around where a fatal hit gets chancy. Shotgun barrel don't seem to bother near as much.
    N.R.A. Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    There is some strange brew percolating there, make no mistake. Ranch Dog has been demonstrating that even his small diameter pocket pistol bullet designs are humane killers of hogs in the right conditions, and we THINK that this is down to large meplat, high sectional density, and good penetration - probably using alloys that are a bit on the hard, non-expanding side of the scale.

Then you've got Elmer Keith (who was very much of the above mindset and a pooh-pooher of pocket pistol cartridges) complimenting the effectiveness of the 1851 Navy Colt - which is about as polar opposite that formula as you can get - in Sixguns. It lacks speed, sectional density, meplat, and mass. Makes me a bit curious.

This thread prompted me to look up the Wikipedia on Bill Hickok's shootings. While it isn't mentioned which of them were specifically with his '51 Colts, a heart shot from 75 yards and numerous head shots would seem to back up the premise that, after accuracy, all else is petty details. It does make one wonder if all the .32 needs to be a serious contender is better sights and more radius between them.
    That has been my experience and was the rationale behind "The Infamous Bunny Gun"

Attachment 230896Attachment 230897
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

The "Bunny" pocket pistol is a different take on sights!

The first hog I killed with a pocket pistol was with my TL358-125-RF, a bullet designed for the 380 Auto, shot with a Jimenez Arms JA380. I carried that pistol in a slide holster while working on the ranch. It was the end of September, and I was walking a two-mile "Hahn" deer census line across the length of my place. You time the walk to finish it as dark so that you cross the area during the highest time of activity. My dad would drop me off on one end and then pick me up on the other at dark. The last couple hundred yards of the line paralleled a creek that ended in an old set of cattle pens on the highway. The hogs always liked the pens; there was a water trough and a lot of good "eat'ns" grow out of cattle poop.

Anyway, as soon as I start along the creek, I started having hog problems, big hog problems. The line was along a small, single service powerline, and I got to a point where there was a huge hog digging at the base of a bush, he hadn't seen me nor I him until we were about 5 yards apart (our brush is thick). I talked to him softly as I didn't want to startle him, he looked up at me and waddled off. From there, there were hogs scattered down the length of the line. Hogs can be very docile at night, and that is why I like hunting them then. As I approached the pens, I could see my dad's parking lights at the highway gate, but durn if there wasn't another large hog just outside the trap funnel. He didn't appreciate my attempt at friendly banter. I'm smart enough to have already had the gun up and when he bowed up, head on about 5 yards, I knelt to get below his head and shot him square in the chest. If you don't think a wide meplat from a 125-grain bullet at 900 FPS isn't impressive, well, you're wrong. It set him back on his can, and he peeled off into the brush. He was a 200 ~ 225 lb hog. It got my motor running, and I beat it to my dad's van. The why behind not shooting him in the head straight on is based on my experience. I've seen too many large bullets glance off hog's heads in my lifetime. If you ever look at a skull, pay attention to all the angles. I've seen 444 Marlin bullets ricochet. I won't look for a hog when a hunter tells me that he shot it in the head and it is not laying DRT. I've been rolled around a couple of times, and that is a number one rule for eliminating a grand chance at that adventure.

The next day, I head to town, and when I get a mile down the road, abeam the pens, it is loaded with buzzards. I walked in, and about 15-yards inside some dense blackbrush is the hog. It had bothered me that I did not hear him crashing through the brush, and I thought it might be he was regrouping, but he was dead. My guess, as the birds had already made a mess, was blunt force trauma.

The 125-grain bullet ended up placing too much recoil energy on the alloy pistols, I cracked the frame on the JA380 (JA replaced it for free without question), so I designed a 100-grain bullet for the small pistols. All my pistol bullets had been cast with a Lyman #2 clone alloy and water quenched. Honestly, I don't want them expanding, I want the 72% meplat to do its work and from my experience; 25 Auto to 45-70 Govt, it does. Just because of my alloy stock, I now cast all my pistol bullets with 4/6 linotype/WW and water quench them for 21 BHN. My rifle bullets go the other way to even out the stock, 6/4, quenched 29 BHN.

I shoot the 125-grain bullet with my Taurus PT-138 Millenium Pro and the 100-grain from the TCP. I have two 32 Autos, a Millenium Pro and a TCP as well.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    I shot a 3/4 grown hog, about 18 inches from the hog, low and behind the should with a .380 out of a Ruger lcp, ammo pmc starfire 90 gn. I got no pass through, hog ran around for about a minute and then laid down, and it took about 3 min. to expire from start to finish. I had wondered about the effectiveness the 380 as self defense round.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12