Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon RL550B

Boolit Grand Master
    Sell the Lee dies and get the Dillon dies
    Don Verna

Banned

If you want better dies, go with Redding. My opinion. I would just use the Lee dies. They are fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I started at 350 and he wanted more. When he opened the box and I saw that it had never been used I told him I would go 360 and he said ok. If I understand correctly the conversion is the correct shell plate, locator pins, funnel and die set which is all there. The Lee die sets are new carbide so I can sell them both and get a set of Dillon. While I am ordering the dies anything else you guys have discovered is a must have accessory from Dillon?

Boolit Grand Master

I would use the dies. You aren’t going to have any issues w/ them. I have over 20 Lee die sets and they all load accurate rounds. But if you want another brand go for it.

You won’t find any accessories from Dillon. You will have to go aftermarket for them. And you will get hundreds of opinions on which ones you “need”. Set it up, load a couple thousand and then decide if you to “improve” the press in any particular area.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lighting is nicely handy, especially if you want to check powder charges in each case visually.

Banned
    $360 for a new in the box 550B - GOOD JOB !

Told you he wanted to sell it.

Boolit Master
    Great price for the press. I don't like Lee dies but I have some and they work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for everyone's guidance on this. I have always used single stage presses even when I shot High Power XTC. Mostly because I enjoyed handloading. But at this stage of my life I shoot mostly handgun and age and time available have made me more of a reloader so I have been thinking quite a bit over the last two years about getting a Dillon. When this came along it seemed right and I feel I got a good deal verses the $480.00 for a new one from the factory even though this is a generation older.
    Much appreciated gents!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    You need conversion kit for different calibers read the manual .
    Sometimes all you need is a set of locator pins and/or a powder funnel for a different caliber. For example, 380, 223 and 300 BLK all use the same shellplate. I keep one 550 with a #5 shellplate to load 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and 357 Sig. Four sizes of locator buttons cover most of the common calibers. Check out the caliber conversion chart in the owners manual to avoid buying unnecessary duplicate items.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I use Lee dies for my .38 Special loads. I don't load or shoot that many so the Lee dies work fine for me.

I had dies for everything I load, the only thing extra I bought were extra seating dies for the crimp stage. Most of the other dies are RCBS.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    If you want better dies, go with Redding. My opinion. I would just use the Lee dies. They are fine.
    As great as Redding dies are, and I have some, Dillon dies are the best available for loading cast boolits. The seating punch is removable for cleaning without removing the die from the press or tool head. Their spent primer ejection is not duplicated by any other manufacturer. They’re well worth the price.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    As great as Redding dies are, and I have some, Dillon dies are the best available for loading cast boolits. The seating punch is removable for cleaning without removing the die from the press or tool head. Their spent primer ejection is not duplicated by any other manufacturer. They’re well worth the price.
    I agree 100%.
    A few years back I made the mistake of buying a Redding die set for .38 spec/.357 to use on my 550. The seating die would remove the bell from the case before the boolit was seated. I sent it back for this reason & was told that it was in specs. It took a phone conversation to convince them that the bell must be maintained until the boolit was seated. They modified it (reluctantly) "per customer request". I eventually replaced it with a Dillon seating die (they're so easy to clean).

I have 4 Redding rifle die sets & they're great & have no problem with their rifle dies (except the 7X57 & that's another story).

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 11-27-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Get the spare parts kit for the 550 when you make an order from Dillon.
    Sure Dillon will replace any part you break or lose, but you will need to wait for them to be mailed to you.
    If you have the spare part, you can just replace the lost or broken part and keep loading.
    Then call Dillon and get the replacement part coming.

I use the spare parts a lot and it is nice to have it already in hand to use.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Spend the money you saved on buying a used press and get the auto powder measure.

Boolit Buddy
    Good advice all. I plan to buy Dillon dies for it as well as get the parts kit. I really appreciate the tip on checking what shell plates fit what calibers to prevent duplicates.
    Last edited by jem102; 12-02-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

The thing I really like about the Dillon dies is the spring loaded primer punch. This gives them a tactile feel and prevents sucking stuck primers back up. That and the separate crimp.

I have had a Dillon 550 for almost 20 years. Never owned a Dillon die in my life. Lee, RCBS, Lyman is all I have used. Not knocking Dillon dies, just not necessary.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Sounds like you got a decent buy on the 550. Probably about what he paid for the press at the time he bought it. I would try the Lee dies and see how you get along. I have personally converted to Dillon dies for most handgun calibers for the reasons already stated. Also, once you use one of the Dillon die sets, it's easier to use all the same brand as the set up and feel is generally the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12