Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Venison

Boolit Buddy

Cooking Venison

I love to eat fried Venison tenderloin but could use some advice. I realize that wild game like Venison has no natural fat and over the years the only thing I found to fry my Venison in was bacon grease. I works out well, however I need to cook about a quarter of a pound of bacon to get enough grease to cook a meal. I have tried other things to cook it in, but it is just not the same. I think I must be missing something, is there an easier way to get bacon grease or something very similar ?.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry jednorris but there is no good sub for bacon grease. Everytime I cook bacon I pour the rendered grease in a jar to use in the future. Keeps a long time.

Boolit Master
    I have no problem using a bit of butter and olive oil to cook it in. Tastes fine to me and has for the last sixty + years. (Nothing wrong with bacon though either).

my grocery store sells bacon ends and pieces. mostly fat and cheaper than bacon

We fry a lot of Venison. No special lard or bacon grease needed. I toss my thin slices in Bisquick, with garlic salt and paprika. Run the vegetable oil up to almost burning, about 1 " in the pan. Drop in the pieces and within the minute take them out. Watch them brown and you will know.

Another tip, is to slice some of the ham in thin pieces, sprinkle with meat tenderiser and place in a zip lock until the next day. Then do as previously stated..

Here is a testimonial..Currently the wife has no teeth due to cancer but she can gum this when fixed this way. Just don't overcook.

Boolit Master

My tender loin is in oven with salt, pepper and a splash of grape seed oil before deer is even finished getting dressed!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Fry? Broil it with a little butter and salt and pepper on top of it.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

The deer I shoot are just wild cows. You could cook our deer and cow next to each other, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'm not kidding, I've served sloppy joes with ground venison, not one person ever knew the difference. I mainly grill venison steaks, I treat it exactly like beef steak, season the same. I only keep the best parts for steaks though, most of it gets ground, and a lot get's turned into jerky.

Boolit Master
    my wife makes almost everything we eat with venison,but if she's frying it she deep fries with veg oil,we eat a lot of rooster bullets,venison onion bell pepper,bacon or jalapeno poppers,with jalapeno,onion,venison,cream cheese and chedder cheese and bacon

Do not fry backstrap.

HOW WE COOK DEER

1.) Thaw the meat.
    2.) Put meat tenderizer (go easy or it will be salty), onion powder, garlic powder (not salt) and a little coarse black pepper on both sides.
    3.) Cower meat and put in the fridge (overnight is best)
    4.) Before grilling pour olive oil over the meat. Just before you put the meat on the grill use tongs to make sure both sides get some oil on them.
    5.) Cook until just done. DO NOT OVER COOK! The meat is done when it is brown but still moist on the outside. If it dries out on the outside it is over cooked. Usually it takes 3 minutes or so on the first side and 2 minutes or so on the other side. Depends on thickness of the meat and how hot the charcoal is. The outside color of the meat and how moist it is on the outside is your guide. You can check the inside by cutting into it to check the color. Just a little pink is what you want.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Coconut oil might be worth trying. You could also get a small tub of Manteca from the grocery store, Manteca being Spanish for lard. Either would work.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    I grill all venison, elk or moose just like I do beef. I sprinkle a little Montreal seasoning and grill to my perfection, just a little pink.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Moderator Emeritus

jednorris,
    My local Mexican Grocer sells rendered pork fat, they do sell a lot of fresh seasoned meat. I think the fat they offer is from frying cracklin's (chicharrones caseros).
    anyway, It's as good as bacon grease, just less salty and not smoky, both of which could be added.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of good ideas here. Thanks guys. Around San Antonio there is a lot of cedar trees, juniper to non Texans, that the deer will eat. They will taste so strong of cedar that you will think you are eating a tree. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Most places sell lard, which is just natural crisco. Only thing is, lard is actually better for you. Like butter over oleo. Crisco and oleo are hydrogenated oil (think that's right) and not good at all. Way I do my tenderloins and backstrap is to sear it really good (oil of your choice) in a cast iron skillet and then stick the skillet in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Tenderloins on our deer (SETX) aren't that big, so I leave them whole. I cut the backstrap into 2 inch thick medallions and sear on both sides. Come out Medium Rare and just delicious. How you marinade or rub them is a big factor. I like lots of garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary with a little oregano. Salt and black pepper, of course.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Anyone ever can their venison? My wife and just canned almost a whole deer yesterday, it took a lot of time but wasn't as much work as I thought. We did some in BBQ and some in beef broth and some more in terakihi sauce, can't wait to try some!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    A lot of good ideas here. Thanks guys. Around San Antonio there is a lot of cedar trees, juniper to non Texans, that the deer will eat. They will taste so strong of cedar that you will think you are eating a tree. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks again.
    Once you get them roped and dallied put them in a pen and grain feed them for 3 weeks.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Anyone ever can their venison? My wife and just canned almost a whole deer yesterday, it took a lot of time but wasn't as much work as I thought. We did some in BBQ and some in beef broth and some more in terakihi sauce, can't wait to try some!
    We do almost the entire front shoulders in pints. Add salt and bay leaf or a garlic clove. They get used in quick soups and stews, hot sandwiches, spaghetti filler and lots of other stuff.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Haven't done it yet, but sure want to try. A pint jar of just plain cubed venison with broth, some potatoes and carrots and a gravy mix or roux, along with your favorite seasoning would make a quick and easy supper, either at home or the camp.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    I keep mine on ice for at least 5 days. I thaw in water for a day. Marinade in buttermilk for a day,I have never noticed a cedar tast are any other tast? I hunt just west of fort hood
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast