Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking Venison

Banned

My backstraps usually are cooked on the grill. Fried steak is usually hind quarter steak ran through the cuber. that said I do like it chicken fried in bacon grease but butter works just fine too. the cedar thing is odd though. Our camp is right in a huge cedar swamp probably 200 square miles and I never noticed a difference in tasted between the deer I shoot there and the deer I shoot at the potato farm that eat potatos oats and alfalfa. Only difference ive seen is the deer at the farm seem a bit more tender because they don't have to work to get there food near as much.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-24-2018 at 09:15 AM.

I prefer to blacken the tenderloins (as well as the loin chops and the round steaks). This requires a propane burner (outside) and a cast iron griddle or skillet that is dedicated to blackening. Melt half a stick of butter on a plate in the microwave - or however - and dredge the whole tenderloins in it. Preheat the oven to about 175 and the griddle to a dull red. (In daylight it will look gray instead of black.) Shake your blackening spice onto one side of a tenderloin and put it on the griddle for a minute or until you can see it again after the smoke and flames subside. Do the same on the other two sides, and return it to the plate. Do this to all the tenderloins you are cooking, then pop them in the oven for a half hour or so until the brown juices start to collect on the plate. Slice thinly, and enjoy the best rare venison you ever ate.

My blackening spice is three parts paprika, and one part each black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and thyme.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Anyone ever can their venison? My wife and just canned almost a whole deer yesterday, it took a lot of time but wasn't as much work as I thought. We did some in BBQ and some in beef broth and some more in terakihi sauce, can't wait to try some!
    My brother and I been pressure canning deer for 20+ years, my daughter's expect it annually. I have had folks eat it right out of the jar. Most of ours is used in stew and stroganoff. I have written out a page of instructions for friends, if interested PM me?
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    my wife makes almost everything we eat with venison,but if she's frying it she deep fries with veg oil,we eat a lot of rooster bullets,venison onion bell pepper,bacon or jalapeno poppers,with jalapeno,onion,venison,cream cheese and chedder cheese and bacon
    Dude, you are a man after my own heart! Love gizzards and venison chunks deep fried in a spicy batter!

Normally we fire up the grill after the deer has marinated. Love it rare and well spiced!

Grilled in steak rub, on a chip with Zaragoza's finest on top. It'll do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Been eating venison for well over 50 years. A couple of months ago spoiled both my wife and myself because I cooked up a batch of back straps using the sous verde method then finished with a sear on the grill.
    Unbelievably delicious and tender.
    East Tennessee

Banned

my favorite with back straps is on the grill. Butterfly a chunk lengthwise put some montreal steak seasoning (light) on it and close it back up. Put it on a hot grill so you sear it and seal in the juices and cook it till it done about a 1/4 of the way through. Then flip it and do the same on the other side (all the time brushing on butter) when the hole chunk is about half way cooked through open it up and put the rare side down and keep brushing on the butter and cook till its has just a ting of pink. Its as good and as tender as about any beef steak ive cooked short of tenderloin or rib eye. cut an onion in half and wrap it and a potato up in foil with some butter and put it on the grill about a hour before the meat and if after eating it you don't like venison then its all in your head. Learned that routine years ago from my partner at work. Before that I used to bash venison cooked on the grill because it was so dry. Now I shoot probably 30 deer a year and ALL backstraps go on the grill.

Yep , I started basting in butter a few years ago and do mine the same as Lloyd butterfly length ways cept I season mine all over inside and out with my homebrew seasoning dust grill on high heat to sear cook to rare inside takeoffthe heat and let it rest for 5 min minimum . I haven't pan fried for years and no plans to no matter how cold it is outside .
    Another thing I've tried and works well to keep things juicy is to inject with that Cajun butter forget the brandat the moment but does things moist especially less choice cuts like the top and bottom round
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The 5 pound package of ends & pieces is good. I get one, cook it all, chop it up, maybe even freeze it,
    and use it where crumbled bacon is called for in beans or something.
    It'll cook out almost a pint of bacon grease. Lard will work too, but the cooked out grease has that bacon flavor.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Grilled in steak rub, on a chip with Zaragoza's finest on top. It'll do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    And grilled properly! Any less pink than that and you've burned it up!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Try taking the tender lyon and slicing it super thing so thin you can see light threw it season it up and add some lemon juice. lay it on some wrap and cover it with some more wrap and press it with a rolling pin a few times. No cooking is needed try it you will be surprised.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

I found out something yesterday. Backstraps in a pressure cooker just don't work. My step son is up visiting and he wanted a venison roast. Hes a bit picky so rather then grabbing a rump roast I figured it toss a couple back straps in the pressure cooker. Even put a small pork roast in with it. The pork was excellent but the back straps were as dry as beef jerky. probably due to the fact there small in diameter and were probably over cooked.

Boolit Master

While I like my beef steaks cooked medium-well, venison is best cooked fast and hard.
    By that I mean, venison, if frozen, should be thawed and at room temperature, fresh off the carcass even better, put in a skillet or on the grill on medium high to high heat cooked for 2-3 minutes on both sides. Even pink and a bit bloody, it is very good fair. (Cook times vary with the thickness of the meat.)
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Try taking the tender lyon and slicing it super thing so thin you can see light threw it season it up and add some lemon juice. lay it on some wrap and cover it with some more wrap and press it with a rolling pin a few times. No cooking is needed try it you will be surprised.
    Venison seveche ! That's a new one I've had regular seveche with seafood and it's delicious , Gonna have to try it next time . Was watching a travel /cooking show believe was anthony Bourdain was in Finland or Norway . Was reindeer back strap but close enough , back strap sliced about 1/8thick served raw and chilled with a nice pat of real butter and a sprinkle of sea salt on it . Tried it last year and it was actually really good .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Steaks I pound with the tenderizing hammer and dash of Adolph's Meat tenderizer. As noted above, not much. Marinade, rare on the grill. Of the many ways I do tenderloins, a good one is to slice into 1/4 - 1/2 inch "chops", salt & pepper, olive oil and a couple shots of bourbon. Pat the dry ingredients into the meat, make a "boat" of aluminum foil to hold it all and then wrap in foil all over. Bake at 180 or 190 for about 3 hours or until rare.

Backstraps I do in the broiler. I use no butter/no oil. But for a topping I make a Parmesan crust for it.

Makes 6-8 one inch thick pieces.

Take 2 Tablespoons butter and melt it down in a pan
    Throw in some minced garlic and let it simmer a minute or two
    Add 1 Tablespoon of flour as a thickener
    Add 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and continuously stir. Wait until it starts to change from yellow to a light tan color. It will be very clumpy....if not...add a bit more cheese.

Set it aside.

Cut backstraps into 1" thick pieces and lay them out on a foil covered cookie sheet
    Cook Backstrap pieces under the broiler for 4 minutes on one side...flip them over, broil the other side for 2 minutes...remove and add Parmesan mixture mounded up on each piece. Put back under broiler for another 2 minutes until the parm turns a nice golden brown color.

Enjoy.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

If you have a chewy deer.

Cut steaks into 3/8" by 2" pieces.
    Heat a pan with Olive oil and add 1 Tablespoon of butter
    Toss in the steak pieces and let cook for 5-6 minutes
    Add 2 teaspoons of Southwest spices (Cajun spices work well too) Do not pour off any oil/grease
    Once mixed well add 1/3 cup of Sour Cream and mix thoroughly.

Serve with Rice or potatoes

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance

My last doeI cooked a backstrap by brining overnight, rinse, apply rub, and smoked at 225* for 4 hours. We had it for Christmas dinner and was the best ever. I use my Masterbuilt Smoker with apple wood and water in the pan to keep it moist.

In Remembrance

I get pork fat from my butcher for free and render it in my turkey fries. Put a little water in at the start to keep it from burning until some lard is rendered out. The water will boil away. Dip out any cracklings and strain the lard through cheese cloth. Can’t beat it for cooking oil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12