MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Jig head powder coat

Boolit Buddy

Red face Jig head powder coat

Has anyone ever coated boolits with jig head powder coat? If so what colors work best, how do you apply it?

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have used it simply because I had some from making jigs. Works just like "regular" powder coat (#5 container, shake/bake etc) only difference is it is way more expensive then buying powder by the pound!! I've also done the opposite, used bullet powder coat on jig heads.

Actually, I'll never buy jig head powder again.

Boolit Master
    Ditto what RustyReel said.

Interesting I have some jig head powder , this stuff you get the jig warm with a heat gun and just dip the jig in . Seems like you would not have to bake it at 400 for very long . I will have to experiment

Boolit Master
    If you heat the jig head up and dip it in the paint it will coat the jig head, but the paint will come off pretty quickly with use if you don't cure it. Hint, punch out the eyes before curing the jig heads. I use the same oven as I use for boolits, just hang the jigs from the rack. Paint on the heads lasts a LOT longer if you cure them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr View Post
    Interesting I have some jig head powder , this stuff you get the jig warm with a heat gun and just dip the jig in . Seems like you would not have to bake it at 400 for very long . I will have to experiment
    There is a big difference between just getting the powder to flow, which is less than 200 degrees and getting a full cure. Just because PC looks good doesn't mean it has reached the cross linking necessary for coating bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    There is a big difference between just getting the powder to flow, which is less than 200 degrees and getting a full cure. Just because PC looks good doesn't mean it has reached the cross linking necessary for coating bullets.
    So I am assuming a normal 400 degrees for 20 minutes cure time with this powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr View Post
    So I am assuming a normal 400 degrees for 20 minutes cure time with this powder
    The maker of the powder should have a cure schedule. Most powders will cure when the substrate reaches 400 degrees and is held at that temp for 10 minutes; so 20 minutes should work with no problems. Just make sure your oven can achieve and hold the 400 degrees. The only way I know to do that is monitor with a thermometer like the Taylor Oven Guide glass thermometer that is accurate, quick reading and very reasonably priced.

Boolit Man
    I have done a lot of do it spro jigs for saltwater fluke fishing. That is how I actually found this site while I was looking up alloy questions, then I began casting boolits shortly after that. Anyway for jigs I had made a fluid bed from some pvc pipe fittings and a piece of tyvek but brown paper bags and old vacuum cleaner bags are supposed to work as well and a $10 fish pump aerator to introduce air into the powder coat and allow the jigs to be dipped in the powder, then I would bake in the oven. Most of these jigs were in the 3-5 ounce range and a first dip in white then in glow paint worked really well. Sorry to get off topic about jig powder coating it just brought back memories.

Boolit Buddy
    Same thing happened to me first fishing jigs then boolits...via info I found on this site ...

Boolit Buddy
    I tried this when I first heard about it a few years ago and didn't have any powdercoat at the house but had some jighead paint. It coated and baked fine, but expensive and the jighead paint seemed to be brittle. For what the jighead paint costs, it's much cheaper in the long run to go with Smoke's paint, or Powder Buy The Pound or even try a local powdercoat shop if there's one near you...Most will be happy to sell you a small amount for a few bucks which goes a long way.
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "