Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Groucho marks

Boolit Master

Groucho marks

I was watching an old movie last week [1932 I think] and I saw something that left me depressed. Since I was a boy I watched the Marks
    brothers crazy antics with uncontrolled laughter, especially Harpo but I also laughed at the way Groucho talked nonsense to Margaret Dumont. Getting back to the movie of last week. I don't remember its name but along with the beautiful young women it stared two old time vaudeville comedians named Woolsey & Wheeler. Woolsey was the straight man while
    Wheeler chomped on a cigar and talked nonsense to Margaret Domont or anyone else he was talking to. The only thing different from Groucho was, Wheeler didn't walk bent over or wear that painted on mustache. So that's where Groucho got that act.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Not enough data there for that conclusion. Minnie Marx had her kids doing Vaudeville by 1905, and by WWI they were polished performers.

Whatever lines the screenwriters wrote for any of the brothers in the movie scripts were mostly wasted efforts. They ignored the scripts in favor of their Vaudeville routines from earlier performances and ad-libbed the rest as it occurred to them. Irving Thalberg (or maybe Moss Hart?) considered it an event when he heard a line of his dialog uttered in the movie by a Marx brother.

I didn’t know Margaret DuMont was in any other comic movies like that. She was supposed to have trained as a Shakespearean actress, and was such a fantastic straight woman that the legend arose that she didn’t understand the jokes the boys were uttering.

I recall that The Cocoanuts came out in 1929, so it may well be that Wheeler and Wolsey got their Schtick from the Marx Brothers, rather than the reverse.

Boolit Master
    Wheeler and Woolsey were in vaudeville long before 1929. Margaret was under contract to Warner brothers so she worked on what ever movies they told her to. She was a subject of discussion on TCM recently and one man who knew her well said she fully understood what was going and did get the jokes but chose not to react. She was a just a great straight man. What happened to her was a terrible crime and I don't think it was ever solved.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 11-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

I was reading a paper once on building when the author stated that defenestration isn't just an act of humor made famous by the Marx brothers. I still find that a hilarious statement.

defenestration= the act of throwing something out the window.[just to avoid dictionary use].
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    What happened to her was a terrible crime and I don't think it was ever solved.
    What crime was that? A quick read of Wikipedia gives her cause of death as heart attack at age 82.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    The movie the OP is referring to is Girl Crazy, 1932. I have never seen it. Information can be found at. www.imdb.com

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I watched a discussion about Margaret Dumont on TV and as I remember, it went like this. She bought a small hotel in Orange County, California, got into an argument with trade unions and person or persons unknown threw her down a flight of stairs breaking her leg. I never heard or read anything more about it and I, like you did not find in her biography.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 11-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.

The Marx Brothers were a tribe of very funny American Jews. Karl Marx was neither American, Jewish nor funny.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Karl Marx said Russia would be last country to embrace his communism. As an aside, the Marx brothers sister married Jack Benny and changed her name to Mary Livingston. I also heard she was a not a very pleasant person.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Karl Marx said Russia would be last country to embrace his communism.
    You can add that to the long list of things he was wrong about.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

"Viaduct? Vy not a chicken?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“I once shot an elephant in my pajamas... how he got in my pajamas I’ll never know.”

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    “I once shot an elephant in my pajamas... how he got in my pajamas I’ll never know.”
    Tried to get him out but his tusks had him wedged in tight, but in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.

"Say the secrete word and the duck will come down and give you $100.
    Last edited by dagger dog; 11-21-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife