Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving - Anybody else do it earlier or later?

Boolit Master

Thanksgiving - Anybody else do it earlier or later?

I'm retired, but the SO is still working. Her days off are Monday and Tuesday, so we're doing our celebration today. Turkey about done, along with all the other goodies. Later we'll get out and explore the old ghost town of Puntenney with a metal detector. I think I'll celebrate Thanksgiving all week! Any other members celebrate early or later?

Super Moderator

I have done it before, when SO or family was out of town. After this Wednesday, I will be celebrating it the rest of the week too. The ghost town adventure sounds fun, there's a few up by me that I hit frequently with my metal detector.

Boolit Master
    This year we will be celebrating Thanksgiving at my oldest sons at their house. It is a kind of rare thing that we are not scheduling either before or after the actual day.

Same with many holidays. Simply due to some sort of work or duty, someone always seems to have to be on duty at the hospital they work at, etc..

Even when I was in the Corps & not on deployment, I would sometimes be ending up on the duty roster for SAR Ops, Duty NCO at the barracks, or some sort of duty watch, and miss out on my own "local" families holiday, so we just adapted to celebrating on other days when we could all be together.

Been adapting to that sort of thing for so long, it has just become a "second nature" for us to celebrate when we can & try to get as many together at the celebration as we can.

Regardless...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving today!

P.S. - Today is my B-day, so I reckon you could not have picked a better day to do any kind of celebration! LOL

We are just hanging out at home. Going out to party & all that, is not all that fun anymore it seems. I'll be seeing my immediate family on Thursday & that is good enough for me.

Have fun!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

We had ours (turkey and the works)yesterday with my fiances family . Will be smoking and slathering a nice ham with multiple coats of honey and brown sugar on Thursday . I was thankful on Sunday and will be again on Thursday .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    we have never celebrated on Thanksgiving proper always during our gun deer season
    and I have always hunted,Mans got to have his priorities
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    We are in a suburb north of Fort Worth with my wife's daughter, the other Daughter and her two kids and spouses will all be here by Wednesday. Big family gathering. Saturday is a big gunshow in Dallas, I feel a calling that I must go, the others are going to play paintball games.

Ken

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Our family puts the feedbag on this Saturday. That's when all of our family can be here including some family of family that we always invite. Great food & the Ironbowl, life is good
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

We pretty often have to do a different day. This years Thanksgiving was last Saturday. Both boys are grown with families of their own and its a juggling act trying to get everyone together. Especially when one set of inlaws are really self centered! I guess I should not have said that but.........

We lost my Mother in law this year and my Wife especially wanted to try and have her family get together with my family. Wow, talk about scheduling conflicts! She came from a huge family. It worked out.

We celebrate every year at my sister in laws house on Thanksgiving Day and what a madhouse it is. I always come in a different vehicle than my wife's so I can leave after the football game.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Always on Thanksgiving due to work. Used to get together w/ the entire family(Mom’s side), 50+ people. But after my grandparents passed everyone showed who they truly were. Now it’s just my family and my Uncle’s. We have it at my house and I enjoy cooking the meal even though it’s a lot of work. Haven’t been able to get my parents to come over and spend Thanksgiving w/ their grandkids. My sister comes over ever other year. It’s a bummer that the entire family doesn’t get together anymore but it is what it is. Sorry about all that. 35 years of tradition ended in a bad way.

Boolit Master
    We seldom ever had thanksgiving on the proper thursday.
    Somebody in the family was out of town, had to work, or something.
    We always just dealt with it.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Thanksgiving will be celebrated at my house on Thanksgiving Day.
    My son will be over to visit most of the day. Both daughters have families of there own with small children and like to have their own celebrations in their own homes.
    Sometimes they will come by and sometimes we stop at their homes.
    It is the compromise that we have settled in to and it seems to work for everybody.
    They both know that they can show up whenever they please. This way there is no stress or pressure.

Boolit Master
    The fiance and I spent the weekend with my grandmother celebrating Thanksgiving. We only get Thursday off this year and its Grandmas first in 54 years without Grandpa. Grandma chose to work Thursday to let other people spend it with their families. Thursday will be with the fiances family since they are closer.

Boolit Master

We always have Thanksgiving on the Saturday after. Both sons and their families are near in-laws and spend Thursday with them. It has been this way for about 20+ years. Both grandsons are in college now and granddaughter is still in HS. In the past we always had turkey and all the traditional stuff. By they time they got to our house, they could hardly eat more turkey. So, this year we are having BBQ with some traditional sides. GrandKids approved of BBQ and have already specified the sides they want. Kind of surprised us. We didn't know that those things meant so much to them
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Community meal, combines several churches on Sat before T'day.
    Thanksgiving with daughter Thursday.
    Thanksgiving at Dad's house on Sat after for extended family, sometime 70 to 80 people.
    So yes, before, during and after.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    stepson works Thursday and Friday . so we are doing it Sunday.

Boolit Master
    Gail and I both survived long-term marriages wherein family functions ALWAYS turned into a fight! It was not if, but when would the fight start. Consequently, neither of us are big on holiday celebrations of any kind. We have attended several family dinners since we got together in 1992, and all of those went well but (for us) the “bloom is off the rose” so to speak. We would much rather just sit quietly at home, just the two of us. It is not that we do not love our kids, it is just that many years of holiday strife sort of left us with little or no interest. Our Thanks giving is October 10, and for many years that has been the opening day of Moose season, so I have usually been away hunting. This year none of us got a draw so there was no incentive to get to the area as I normally would. I delayed my departure and we had a pork roast and enjoyed each other’s company.
    R.D.M.

Thanksgiving dinner #1 was on veterans day because my daughter was home from college. Dinner #2 is tomorrow at the OhioANG base were my son flies F16s. Dinner #3 thursday at home with The Boss (wife) and the four canines.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    My family used to always get together at my grandmothers. She started to get up in age and wasn't able to host thanksgiving dinner anymore. We started going to my mom's place, and did that for a few years. My wife and I just moved to Reno, and we currently don't have an oven to bake in. We will probably just get some sliced turkey or maybe a rotisserie chicken and call it good.

Boolit Buddy
    Too late to pretend you are in Canada. Got it taken care of a month ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast