WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 358-260 Cast Load Data

358-260 Cast Load Data

Due to a "timely" notification by someone on this site (thank you), I contacted Lee and bought one of their "overstocked" .358 diameter 6 cavity molds that is suppose to "drop" 260gr bullets. Until notification, I was unaware that Lee made a mold that heavy for the "35" and plan on using it in my 35 Whelens. Has anyone worked with this bullet and have loading data that works with this bullet? While I figure SR4759, 4198 (both), Unique, 2400, and RL7 should be good starting places for reduced and "mid-range" loads, I am interested in possible top velocities (over 2100fps) with "harder" casting material and a GC. BTW, I received the mold last week-end and it looks to be in excellent (new) shape. I cleaned, "smoked it", and mounted it on the handles. The shipping was a little "pricey"; however, considering it's a 6 cavity vice double cavity mold and I needed the extra handles, the total cost makes it a bargain IMO! Thanks for any inputs. Kaiser

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For full charge loads in .35 Whelen with 92-6-2 "hardball" alloy 60 grains of IMR4350.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I was unaware of this bullet. Can you post a pic of the bullet profile? Does Lee have any more?

Chris

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had good success with WC852.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Chris - I haven't cast any bullets just yet, but will when it warms up. The bullet profile is "flat nose". Until I was notified, I was not aware they ever made one in this caliber and weight. I need some help to post pictures on this site from my I-phone.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    Chris - I haven't cast any bullets just yet, but will when it warms up. The bullet profile is "flat nose". Until I was notified, I was not aware they ever made one in this caliber and weight. I need some help to post pictures on this site from my I-phone.
    No worries. Assuming this is the same mould, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...up-Buy-History, it's not quite what I'm looking for. It looks like a long LBT-style bullet with most of the bullet below the crimp groove.

Chris