RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast preformance pictures on game

Boolit Bub

Cast preformance pictures on game

Well, Fank Marshall was right it would seem.
    My 3030 loaded with a 200gr fn (noe clone of the rcbs 180gr fn, 200.2gr checked and lubed 27.6gr varget) at right on 1850fps.
    He pushed his 311284 with a .2 meplat he filed onto it and claimed no meat spoiled.
    I made a bad shot today and that load really pulled through for me (hit the spine on a quartering shot) picture is the backstrap where the bullet entered, the side opposite the spine wasnt as nice, but i recovered 90% of the backstraps and i know full well that a 150gr jacketted bullet would have been far worse for damage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181118_200737.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Anywhere but the back strap!

Boolit Man
    Well, that’s a new way of tenderizing the backstraps.... LOL

Round worked well. Damage could have been a lot worse.

Good eating

This is the ribs of a deer hit with a 7.62x39 with a 150 lee FP at 178 yards
    Data is
    Lee 150 FN PCed harbor freight red a AL gas check sized to .310
    Winchester 7.62x39 cases
    CCI200 LR primer
    21.5 grn of IMR4198 seated pretty far out(long throats on the Ruger ranch rifle)
    Slight crimp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F4E2EAC-7D76-4658-B6F3-18029395B02C.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	230668

Name:	7C714FD0-732F-43FD-B483-ACCCB252F281.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	230669

That last one is the exit hole from 178 yards. I closed the gap from 350ish to 178yards laid on the ground used my backpack as a rest, she ran 20 yards maybe

Boolit Bub
    Same 200gr bullet as last year, 21gr of h4198 for 1695fps. Gives me 2.5" groups at 100 yards with the semi buckhorns.
    Shot through a my muley lengthwise at 90 yards, bullet entered just inside the left front leg, exited the right ham,

Pics wont load, will see what i can do about that tomorrow
    When i am not full of venison and burbon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191109_220054.jpg  

Boolit Master
    whats the lead alloy details on these, makes a big difference on rifle bullets. last year I used similar bullet at 1800 MV 2.5%sb 1.5%sn air cooled and hit one quartering lengthwise at 100yds and caught it because I hit the thigh bone and it barely deformed until it hit the bone at the end. I mean it made a hole through the lungs roughly same size as your heart picture which works but I think expanded fully would be bigger. this year I increased speed to 2000 and tin to 3% so its more malleable and expands more. and ill see how that works

These pics look like the damage to the doe I got last year. 198 grain flat point boolit with a .19 meplat in 30-06. Velocity at muzzle around 1900 FPS and hit with a quartering shot at 80 yards. Went through meat only in a front leg, through the heart and lungs, exit wound was a good half inch out the ribs. Air-cooled clip on wheel weights with a percent or two of tin. She basically did a donut and fell over within 25 yards of where she was hit.

Flat point boolits do fine and don't do a lot of damage unless you make them too hard/brittle (they can shatter). The next time I manage to get a rifle tag I may try an alloy closer to 16-1 to encourage mushrooming and weight retention. I don't know when that will happen since it seems a lt easier to get muzzleloader tags.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    whats the lead alloy details on these, makes a big difference on rifle bullets. last year I used similar bullet at 1800 MV 2.5%sb 1.5%sn air cooled and hit one quartering lengthwise at 100yds and caught it because I hit the thigh bone and it barely deformed until it hit the bone at the end. I mean it made a hole through the lungs roughly same size as your heart picture which works but I think expanded fully would be bigger. this year I increased speed to 2000 and tin to 3% so its more malleable and expands more. and ill see how that works
    Alloy was air cooled wheel weights, lube was vasaline and beeswax (cant remember the % mix, i made 10lbs of it last year and have lots left)

I really like this thread. I shot this doe at 110 yards with a Glock Model 40 10mm. It is a lee 180 TC . I heat treated them after I PC'd them with powder from smoke. My buddy got one as well with his 10mm. Same load was used. These are running 1300 - 1350.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The 32-40 isn't a real hotrod, but when shot right, it kills. 1 180 grain lead bullet through the heart and liver did the job...

Boolit Master
    Nice going Shrapnel, nice old lever gun kill. But that's cheating, you had all those tree's to hide behind & stalk him!!

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a picture from a doe I got in 2015. Exit hole of a .45-70, 405 WNFP cast at 436gr. I can't remember what all I hit but she was DRT. That's the last time I've carried a rifle hunting as I didn't want to deal with the draw in Colorado. In Virginia now and hopefully going to get one with the .357 come Saturday.

Name:	.45-70 Deer Exit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	251034

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    The 32-40 isn't a real hotrod, but when shot right, it kills. 1 180 grain lead bullet through the heart and liver did the job...

Very nice shrapnel. My dad has his grandfather's 1894 in .32-40. He put a 170gr factory load through one. Figure that rifle has put meat on the table in 3 centuries.

Boolit Bub

Nice to see somebody else hunting prarie with a levergun!
    Good shot!
    What was the load/velocity? Some of my intent with this thread was to compile picture evidence of what a lot of the guys here have been saying for years. Even the 30s dont need much speed to kill

Tis the season for dead deer pics, keep them comin guys!

Almost filled my whitetail tag today but the clever girl skylined herself on a crest with nothing but gentle rolling hills and a highway about 2km behind her. Not a safe shot.

Nice background scenery on the pic!

What was the range on that shot and can you give a little more of the hunt story please?

Boolit Buddy
    Good going Shrapnel! I would never have seen the deer because I would have been too distracted by the beautiful scenery.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    great country to be in

Boolit Master
    This is about the only picture of cast bullet performance on game that I have. Cape Buffalo, frontal shot to the chest from 20 yards with a .585 diameter, 525 grain SWC cast from Linotype backed with 64 grains of H 4198. He ran about 30 yards and was down but still alive, had to shoot him twice more in the shoulder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1547 copy.jpg   Buffalo reduced.JPG  
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Nice background scenery on the pic!

What was the range on that shot and can you give a little more of the hunt story please?

As you can see the country is mostly wide open. I got there early in the morning and started glassing for deer. Once I found deer, I take out the spotting scope and start looking for a decent buck to shoot. I did see a good buck and then decided to get as close without spooking them as I could, then figure out how to use the cover to my advantage to put a stalk on the buck.

I saw a good 4X4 and got within 200 yards, but the distance for that 32-40 is a bit much, so I watched him go out of sight behind a knoll and then decided on a different tact. I saw another truck on the lower part of the property and felt like I had better get within sight of him to keep him from coming my way and blowing the sneak attack I had planned. The truck headed on East for another few miles, then I went back to business to find the 4 point I had been watching.

I took my time, came around a bluff and spotted this deer in his bed. I took for granted it was the same deer and headed down wind and through another coulee to get within 32-40 range. He was still in his bed at about 80 yards after crawling through cactus and gravel to get that close. I stuck the barrel of the rifle over the rim and made enough movement for him to stand up, then shot him facing me, dead center in the chest. It wasn't the same deer, but it was still a good stalk and decent shot...
    Last edited by shrapnel; 11-12-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I had pictures of the last deer I shot with the 38-55. 38-250B mold from Accurate, running 1600 fps. That big flat point at 30 yards makes quite an impression. Doe was stumbling at the 3rd jump and down in 20 yards. There was a bit more bloodshot than I like, but no tracking needed in the heavy timber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast