RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 hunting load

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    If I have to use a ‘filler’, like Dacron, I’m finding a different powder.

And, I never could figure out your question...

I often start loads in the midrange. I usually don’t make ‘ladder loads’, or ‘work up’ loads either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Yes I've read in other forums that most recommend 2400 in large caliber rifle loads. From your memory, does it fill at least half the case? I will try the 2400. Other's suggested w748 and 3031. Just trial and error I reckon. My rifle might savor 3031 and the next guys gun might like 2400..... Thanks a bunch! I forgot about the VMD chart to give me an idea of finding least weight per CC....
    I have a fair bit of experience with W748 in cast. W748 requires a fair bit of pressure to get a consistent burn. Once you get there you probably have a fast accelerating load that stresses a cast boolit and requires a hard alloy and short nose to prevent slump.

While filler can help reduce loads a bit, dacron and fine ball powder is not a great combo for hunting, as the powder will migrate into the filler area very easily, if you tend to move or climb while hunting.

Also W748 is infamous for being temperature sensitive.

Accurate loads can be found with W748 and cast boolits, particularly with heavier for bore weights. It's just that the windows for accuracy are small, and can shift with temperature. The velocity for accuracy windows also may not match your alloy's and lube's abilities.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to chime in about the dacron filler. I have used dacron with my 30.30 and 30.06 with great repeatable results. Powder is usually 4895 or 2400. For me it tightens up the groups and I don't find it a hassle to use. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to try the dacron when and where it is suggested by Larry Gibson's article. For my hunting loads I'm in no hurry to make rounds as I want the most accurate and dependable round I can make with cast. Last year I made 5 rounds for my 30.06. I used 1 round last year to kill a 5 point. This year I used a round to kill a 6 point and another 2 rounds on an 8 point. I'm down to 1 round now so I'll have to take a few minutes and get the round count built back up. I've killed 5 deer since I began casting about 5 years ago so for me the dacron is going in my hunting rounds with 4895. Of course different powders are not to be used for dacron. The thing is what works for you and what will make you happy.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Dacron is too cheap not to use when appropriate, I get mine from all the stuffed animals my dogs chew up.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    That same bullet except for the flat nose profile shoots great in my 700 in 308 Win.
    I got good groups with RL 7 around 26 - 27 gr range if my memory serves me right no filler . Alloy WCWW's with 2 % tin . My next testing will involve IMR 30-31 and H4895 . I've been getting better results with the slower powders in my guns . My RL7 load is mid range from Lyman 49th

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Good to hear, I loaded 20 with 25.5 and each 10 thereafter increased by a grain up to 28.5. I'll see what that does and post results after Friday. The RL 7 -even with 25 grains fills up case enough to not worry with filler BUT you know what, eventually I'll try it both ways. Needless to say my wife thinks I'm loading lipstick instead of bullets because of color. What is your 700's twist Marshall623?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Good to hear, I loaded 20 with 25.5 and each 10 thereafter increased by a grain up to 28.5. I'll see what that does and post results after Friday. The RL 7 -even with 25 grains fills up case enough to not worry with filler BUT you know what, eventually I'll try it both ways. Needless to say my wife thinks I'm loading lipstick instead of bullets because of color. What is your 700's twist Marshall623?
    This might crazy but I dont have a clue , I bought it new when I was 13 and Im 48 now .But check it this weekend .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    I have to chime in about the dacron filler. I have used dacron with my 30.30 and 30.06 with great repeatable results. Powder is usually 4895 or 2400. For me it tightens up the groups and I don't find it a hassle to use. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to try the dacron when and where it is suggested by Larry Gibson's article. For my hunting loads I'm in no hurry to make rounds as I want the most accurate and dependable round I can make with cast. Last year I made 5 rounds for my 30.06. I used 1 round last year to kill a 5 point. This year I used a round to kill a 6 point and another 2 rounds on an 8 point. I'm down to 1 round now so I'll have to take a few minutes and get the round count built back up. I've killed 5 deer since I began casting about 5 years ago so for me the dacron is going in my hunting rounds with 4895. Of course different powders are not to be used for dacron. The thing is what works for you and what will make you happy.
    Your point isn't gone unnoticed. Like they say "One shot-One kill!" In my book, a little extra time using a filler can be worth a lot! Why circumvent a step when it just might pay off big time! No I'm not no where experienced as most here but I listen. Where there is "proof" there is "justification". Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Buddy
    I need to clarify about only loading up 5 hunting rounds. The 5 hunting rounds contain a bullet that is 50:50 soft lead and wheel weight. After a few rounds I need to clean the barrel. So I'm not saying I load 5 shots and I'm done. I practice with WW or Lyman #2 all year and save the hunting bullets for hunting. I use dacron in my target rounds so everything is the same as my hunting round except for the lead mix.

I use a chop stick to seat the dacron.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Brief update: The rounds I had previously loaded with Dacron I had loaded with 20 grs of IMR4227 and was hitting 12 oz. beer can all day at 100 yards. Still have a lot of testing to do.

For my Win 88/308 I'm getting excellent groups and "downed" game results (1x moose, 2x Whitetail deer).
    I'm casting the Lee 200gr RNGC boolit, IMR 3031, CCI LR primer and IVI brass.
    This boolit is travelling at about 2200 fps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
    For my Win 88/308 I'm getting excellent groups and "downed" game results (1x moose, 2x Whitetail deer).
    I'm casting the Lee 200gr RNGC boolit, IMR 3031, CCI LR primer and IVI brass.
    This boolit is travelling at about 2200 fps.
    Moose? Impressive! What alloy about are you using?

Dieselhorses,
    At the time I was using a Lyman #2 alloy which I modified slightly in order to get the Brinell hardness that I wanted.
    I now use just COWW. These mushroom nicely!

Boolit Master
    I too have gotten very good accuracy in my Savage 99 308's (under 2 MOA) using Reloder 7 in the 25 grain range under 150 grain RCBS flatpoints and the 311413 (about 170 grain).

My 10 year old grandson killed his first deer using a Savage Axis in .308 Win. The buttstock was shortened to fit him better. Load was 29 grains of IMR 3031 behind a Lyman 31141 cast with wheel weights, powder coated, and then finished off with a Hornaday gas check. One shot into the brisket and out through the ribs did the trick. She ran about 50 yards but left an easy to follow blood trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1654.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	231438
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    My 10 year old grandson killed his first deer using a Savage Axis in .308 Win. The buttstock was shortened to fit him better. Load was 29 grains of IMR 3031 behind a Lyman 31141 cast with wheel weights, powder coated, and then finished off with a Hornaday gas check. One shot into the brisket and out through the ribs did the trick. She ran about 50 yards but left an easy to follow blood trail.

You're a good Granddad. Congrats to the hunter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post

Nice deer there! 3031 is one of the powders I plan on testing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I too have gotten very good accuracy in my Savage 99 308's (under 2 MOA) using Reloder 7 in the 25 grain range under 150 grain RCBS flatpoints and the 311413 (about 170 grain).
    That's interesting. If my Lee mold C309-170-F is anywhere close to the 311413 going to test in my rifle. Still waiting on an order of 5744 that Lyman 50th mentions a lot. I wonder if anyone here has tested 5744?

Boolit Master
    I use toilet paper as a filler in my 45-70 .works well just leaves some paper ash confetti on the floor .

Cast Hunter

My first experimentation with cast in a high powered rifle years ago was a Rem M788 in .308. The most accurate load I found was a Lyman 311291 with 30 gns of IMR 3031 (no filler). As I recall I was getting right around 2000 FPS and it was deadly on GA deer and hogs.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12