Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 hunting load

Boolit Master

308 hunting load

I was kinda reluctant to post this but here I go anyway. I have this Savage Axis 308 bolt-a with 22" barrel, 1-10 twist. Trying to work up a deer load using the following:

WLR primers
    WW-Super 308 brass (all 2.006" trimmed)
    IMR 4227 (20 grains)
    Dacron- 1 grain
    Lee C309-150-F (using gc's with pc'd bullets. Bullets range from 154-157 grains)

My question is, is I'm starting at 20 grains (yes I know Lyman says to start at 18.7 and max 25.5) and volume of powder in case looks to be about 25-30%. I have read bits and pieces in forum here that using a Dacron filler will improve accuracy but not necessarily needed. I don't want to have to be conscious about where powder is in cartridge, so I weighed out a bunch of Dacron at 1 grain each and tucked into each case (not tight!)

Also the Lyman #311672 at 160 gr's looks similar to the Lee bullet I'm using and closer to the weight. I originally cast these bullets with a 10-1 alloy but still came out a little heavy. The "ogive" looks to be slightly different on the Lyman. Ultimately, would one load by the "weight" or stick with load for that "mold"? (hope this makes sense)
    Attachment 230648

Attachment 230649
    (The 5 in forefront does not have Dacron)
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

308 hunting load

If I have to use a ‘filler’, like Dacron, I’m finding a different powder.

And, I never could figure out your question...

I often start loads in the midrange. I usually don’t make ‘ladder loads’, or ‘work up’ loads either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I intentionally cracked open a "Tul-Ammo 308 cartridge to spy on powder and what kind of "case volume" was going on. There was 43.5 grains of ???? shown in pic below (almost looks like H335 but who knows). I estimated probably 50-60% volume.

Attachment 230650

This pic is powder from a Remington 30-06 165 gr Cor-Lok which weighed in at 54.5 grains.

Attachment 230651

So my biggest question is, what powder packs the most volume by weight for a 308 load?

Boolit Master

If you are asking if you pick a load by the bullet weight or by the mold weight. Pick the loading for the mold style and if there isnt one then go by bullet weight. Most often my bullets dont have recipes so i just pick the closest bullet weight.

I would forgo the filler. Dont be afraid to bigg load test. You know what might wind up being accurate.

Savage Axis are good rifles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Trial and error is going to tell you what your gun likes. It will decide what powder and what velocity it wants to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

10-4 yes sir, the "proof is in the pudding". Appreciate the input!

I always load by bullet weight, or start at lowest powder charge for next heavier bullet. I'm just started a load work up for a NOE 312-159 and used IMR 4198 at starting 21 gr it filled the case about 50%, no filler, CCI LR, LC brass.

Have not got to the range with them yet but will get there if we get a nice weekend so I can chron them. Range sits at 8500 feet so it can be a little tough in the winter. I''l list the results when I do.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have several .308s that shoot a 311284 over a case full of WC 860 well. I use the Fed 215 mag primer and the loads burn fairly clean. Backing off 1/2 grain of powder and using a small tuft of dacron usually shrinks groups slightly. Both loads are run compressed. You said you were looking for case volume this is it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I have several .308s that shoot a 311284 over a case full of WC 860 well. I use the Fed 215 mag primer and the loads burn fairly clean. Backing off 1/2 grain of powder and using a small tuft of dacron usually shrinks groups slightly. Both loads are run compressed. You said you were looking for case volume this is it.
    Bingo. Thanks! That's what I'm looking for so WC 860 goes on list! Again, looking for others as well who answered who knows the 308 inside and out. This is for "educational purposes only" and whatever info I use real time is on me-that I understand.

Boolit Master
    Use that boolit in my 308 with 18 gr of 2400 without fillers very accurate .

Boolit Master
    I did try 23gr of H4227 under a Hi-tek coated 180gr Lee bore rider sized .310 and found it shot very well in my Omark 44, the only problem was the tight chamber required the necks be turned down so the rounds would chamber. No filler used. Regards Stephen

After reading your post twice I think your asking "what powder to use that I don't need Dacron " in a nutshell ? If that's what your asking I've shot a slew of 30-06 in reduced course 200 yd Highpower matches using 17.5 gr of 2400 and never once worried or had issues where the powder was positioned in the case . That load would shoot 10's and lots of X's at that range . So 2400 would be my choice an healthy load of Unique also works well there are other but I don't have first hand experience with them
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    After reading your post twice I think your asking "what powder to use that I don't need Dacron " in a nutshell ? If that's what your asking I've shot a slew of 30-06 in reduced course 200 yd Highpower matches using 17.5 gr of 2400 and never once worried or had issues where the powder was positioned in the case . That load would shoot 10's and lots of X's at that range . So 2400 would be my choice an healthy load of Unique also works well there are other but I don't have first hand experience with them
    Yes I've read in other forums that most recommend 2400 in large caliber rifle loads. From your memory, does it fill at least half the case? I will try the 2400. Other's suggested w748 and 3031. Just trial and error I reckon. My rifle might savor 3031 and the next guys gun might like 2400..... Thanks a bunch! I forgot about the VMD chart to give me an idea of finding least weight per CC....

Banned

I killed a nice buck with a .308 a few years ago and used the Ranchdog 165 grain .30-30 bullet, 28 grains of IMR 4895 with a small tuft of Dacron pillow filling on top. The bullet was fairly soft, 50/50 COWW to pure with 2% tin, and I'm guessing at 1800 FPS, but it went through from about the last rib on the near side to exit low and just forward of the far shoulder, deer went maybe 40 yards.

Your bullets look like they have a round nose profile, you may want to look around for a flat point design.

Boolit Master
    I have one 308 that shoots like house afire with 19.5 gr of 2400 (no filler) and 160 gr boolits while the another hates that load but loves 33 gr of 3031 with 180 to 190 gr boolits. Both have 1/10 twists. Trial and error is the name of the game. Either will do the job for deer.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I have all the powders on my list, went to reloading store and they had everything BUT 5744- the powder that the book suggests the most. So I bought some Reloader 7. Also bought ANOTHER reloading manual (Lyman 50th). Can't have too many.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I killed a nice buck with a .308 a few years ago and used the Ranchdog 165 grain .30-30 bullet, 28 grains of IMR 4895 with a small tuft of Dacron pillow filling on top. The bullet was fairly soft, 50/50 COWW to pure with 2% tin, and I'm guessing at 1800 FPS, but it went through from about the last rib on the near side to exit low and just forward of the far shoulder, deer went maybe 40 yards.

Your bullets look like they have a round nose profile, you may want to look around for a flat point design.
    As a matter of fact, yes they are. I thought I had a "Lee Precision C309-150-F Double Cavity Mold". Went to check and it is in fact a "Lee Precision C309-160-R Double Cavity Mold"! I WILL be ordering another mold! (I wonder if I can file the end flat?)
    Attachment 230793

If you can file consistent flats, then yes. Base condition affects accuracy more than nose condition. The flat provides the slap for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great advice, I have all the powders on my list, went to reloading store and they had everything BUT 5744- the powder that the book suggests the most. So I bought some Reloader 7. Also bought ANOTHER reloading manual (Lyman 50th). Can't have too many.
    That same bullet except for the flat nose profile shoots great in my 700 in 308 Win.
    I got good groups with RL 7 around 26 - 27 gr range if my memory serves me right no filler . Alloy WCWW's with 2 % tin . My next testing will involve IMR 30-31 and H4895 . I've been getting better results with the slower powders in my guns . My RL7 load is mid range from Lyman 49th

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master
    I use dacron to fill the empty space in the case
    powder position never seemed to matter
    use filler in 30-30,35 Whelen and 358 win
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast