Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot a fawn

Boolit Buddy
    Talk about comprehension challenged. The OP was tongue in cheek referring to his ''fawn''. We get 2 pages of discussion, after he seemingly cleared it up a couple of posts into the discussion. Good Lord!

Incomprehension will never prevent Pontification! Back at you, Les for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I've taken some small ones. They are pretty good eating....just not too much. All the same...its meat for the freezer. Congrats on getting one...there are many that can't say they've gotten anything for the freezer.

redhawk
    My brother and prefer shooting these size deer. "Nipple deer" we call them, makes for a tasty rack of lamb or lamb chop meal with peppermint jelly
    Plus they're much easier to drag out of the bush.

Boolit Master
    Veal Chops

Boolit Buddy
    dverna i agree with you, you're a true sportsman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I could find anything to support your statement that a doe will kill her fawn to survive. Would you, or anyone else, be kind enough to post a reference? Thanks.
    I guess the obvious answer was not communicated in my post ,let me try again .Simply put an adult deer in nature does not exhibit any motherly /nurturing instincts unlike (most human mommies) in winter /no food or out of reach brows/food means the doe eats and the offspring starves ! Nope she does not shoot /stab or in most cases (not all) beat them to death but she will be around come spring unlike her babies /no studies needed /Ed

Banned
    "Go, Kill and eat"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I did in fact kill a deer with a long bow, cedar arrow shaft, etc., years ago. I'm less of a purist now, but if you think it's all just going out and assassinating one when you use a rifle, you apparently haven't ever hunted.
    Tell me about it. I'm having a tough season this year. Made the mistake of passing on a doe opening day because I had just gotten out there and it was a bit small. I really wish I had taken the shot as that's the ONLY deer I've seen, and tomorrow is the last day. It's definitely made me reevaluate how I hunt. There are a ton of deer around here, but dang they're elusive. If it was as easy as dragging a rifle out in the woods and just waiting, I'd be sitting pretty on a pile of meat right now.

Banned

Strangely, all the odds were against it. I was on the ground, not in a tree stand which is unusual for me, and it was on the pheasant/quail opening day. I knew I was in a good spot with a lot of intersecting trails and there was a lot of deer activity in mid November and at the time, I used to shoot a bow a lot. One came in almost behind me, very close at dusk and stopped to see what I was. At that time in my life I was bow fishing a lot and did so instinctively so it was actually a pretty easy shot, drew and turned in one motion and that Zwickey broadhead center punched her heart. I had lost a small buck a year before and had attributed part of the problem to going after him to soon, something I deduced from the blood trail, had I let him lie longer, I'd have probably recovered him. I wasn't going to make that mistake this time, so stood right there, didn't even move my feet for a solid 45 minutes and when I did, made a very long, circuitous route back to the truck 180 degrees away from the direction she went. Drove home, put on some good boots and got a big flashlight and came back, all that was probably unnecessary, in that case, a .30-06 wouldn't have killed her any faster.

Archery is cool, but I don't make the time to shoot enough to do it any more and kind of wonder if I have the upper body strength to draw a 60 lb long bow enough for meaningful practice anymore, so I started using a cross bow so I could hunt in November. I feel like I'm cheating sometimes and maybe I'll get back to the real bows again, I know a lot more about deer and deer hunting now than I knew then and would probably do better now.

Boolit Master
    Having had enough wildlife bio classes in my natural resources degree, I can agree that killing a fawn has almost no effect on herd recruitment. (I did read and understand that the OP did not shoot a fawn). The odds are very high (80+%) that any fan you see wasnt going to make it to see next season anyways, same with shooting young of the year game birds (even poorer odds!). We have worked for ranches in Texas that required shooting fawns, then does before you could shoot a buck. I dont purposely try and shoot fawns, but it has happened to me once and I can say it was tasty! Same as shooting calf elk, some guys get really upset when they do it on accident, I personally couldnt be happier with the calves we have shot over the years!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123