RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer Pocket Cleaner

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Primer Pocket Cleaner

I just got a primer pocket cleaner. It’s just a small brush that screws into a handel. It’s not the tool to that opens up pockets or one that dresses up the bottom. It’s a brush with very stiff bristles that stick straight down. It works great for me because I don’t tumble my brass.

It’s not the complete diameter of the large rifle primer pockets. It’s a lot closer to the size of small rifle pocket. I was wondering if anyone recognizes this tool, if there is a larger one and also, who makes it. I bought it from Brownwells and it came in one of their little green bags.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS made the brush types in both sizes Large primer and small primer. Theirs screwed into a handle also. Lyman made a set that were a flat blade the correct size for each. I have used both and prefer the wire style for just cleaning.
    A trip into the hardware stores electrical dept with your calipers may reveal wound copper wire with the right dia. just cut the insulation back 2/16" or so and the insulation is the handle.

I have the RCBS version. It does come with brushes for large or small pockets. If your tool is basically a handle with a threaded end, you can probably get the larger brush for it.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Lyman type, but the brush makes it much easier. I’m afraid copper wire wouldn’t be stiff enough. Maybe a piece of steel cable the right size could work. I’ll check around some more before I try to make something up. Anyone remember the complete name of the RCBS one?

This set came from the Herters catalogue in 1960. I think they were less than $2.00 each. I never have found anything better.

My two daughters get a laugh every now and then remembering that catalogue. They'd make out a list of stuff they wanted (it listed jewelry also) & we never had enough $ to send the order.

Good memories.

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-036F.JPG   MVC-037F.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master

I found them. I just needed to search with RCBS. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Another way to clean primer pockets is to file the end of a nut pick into a little chisel, scrape the crud out of there with that. Pretty quick and easy and it doesn't get dirty like the wire brushes do.

Boolit Master
    Before I bought the RCBS brushes, I used a small flat blade screwdriver. The sides were straight, not tapered. I still use it once in a while.

I use a small flat screwdriver after I worn down my Lyman and Lee ones. I found the screwdriver works for me. Now see that RCBS have the brush like is stated on here .How long do they last? If for a long time I will get a set and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    This set came from the Herters catalogue in 1960. I think they were less than $2.00 each. I never have found anything better.

My two daughters get a laugh every now and then remembering that catalogue. They'd make out a list of stuff they wanted (it listed jewelry also) & we never had enough $ to send the order.

Good memories.

Henry
    I have a set of those primer pocket scrapers. I agree nothing else, I've found, that works better.
    They fit snug in the pocket...and I can notice if they don't fit snug (as in, fit with a wobble), that means the pocket has become oversize...so they work as a gauge as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I believe I recall someone here recommending plastic covered steel cable from the hardware store as an inexpensive alternative.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

I rarely clean primer pockets, but Greg's post about a cable sounds like it would work quite well. I'd take a short piece of speedometer cable and fray one end to fit the primer pocket. Chuck it in a drill and that should clean pockets just fine. I once had some clogged drain tubes (window frame drain) and I used a 4' length of 3/16" cable with a hand drill to clean them out. Dremel also offers a steel and a brass wire end brush similar to the Lyman primer pocket brushes. When I did clean primer pockets, many years ago, I used a "gunsmith" flat blade screwdriver...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a drawer full of different tools, hand and drill chuckable, in different brush and reamer configurations. Still have my first one, which is MANY years old, that I made by pounding the neck of a 30-30 case flat and then grinding or filing the flattened end to perfectly fit a large primer pocket. Goes back to the days, when as a poor farm kid, the son of a literal share cropper, even most Herter's tools were too high priced for me. (but loved reading their catalogs!!)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I use a small flat screwdriver after I worn down my Lyman and Lee ones. I found the screwdriver works for me. Now see that RCBS have the brush like is stated on here .How long do they last? If for a long time I will get a set and go from there.
    The RCBS works great, even though I have a small primer size for large pockets. I think the durability will depend on how hard you push on it. So far for mine, no sign of wear. I’m considering putting it on a drill. I am sure it will wear out faster, but might be worthwhile with time saved. Putting Lyman type on a drill didn’t work well for me.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have both small and large sizes from RCBS, with green screwdriver like handles. A word to the wise........

Never let your 6 year old daughter "help Daddy" by giving her the task of cleaning primer pockets. When she was done, she proudly showed me a pile of 30-06 with nice, clean pockets.......and my RCBS brush looked like something for cleaning toilets. Completely spread out, with wires sticking in all directions. I guess I'd better pony up and buy a new one as I don't think the RCBS warranty covers it.....sigh.

If you don't like the brushes or flat-blade you can get a reamer-type like this:

I got a LR and SR set for $30 shipped a while back off a guy on fleabay. He still has some SR ones. They're high speed steel, double-ended and adjustable for depth. For the price they're hard to beat. Sinclair International, Lyman, RCBS, Redding etc. run similar prices or more depending on design and material.

RE: item no. 223153363261

I made some handles for them since they're just the bit without a handle, but for bulk processing, I can still pull the bit and put them in a hand drill too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    If you don't like the brushes or flat-blade you can get a reamer-type like this:

I got a LR and SR set for $30 shipped a while back off a guy on fleabay. He still has some SR ones. They're high speed steel, double-ended and adjustable for depth. For the price they're hard to beat. Sinclair International, Lyman, RCBS, Redding etc. run similar prices or more depending on design and material.

RE: item no. 223153363261

I made some handles for them since they're just the bit without a handle, but for bulk processing, I can still pull the bit and put them in a hand drill too.
    I use a set of those from Sinclair. They were made for uniforming the debth and flattening the bottom of the primer pocket but work well for cleaning it too. I like the non adjustable ones. I also have a pair of the RCBS brushes and they work fine. You can snag one of the fine little wires and bend it so be careful when inserting it.

Boolit Master
    Use the RCBS brushers for small batches of brass. When I doing large batches, I chuck the Lyman double ended scraper in a cordless drill.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The RCBS works great, even though I have a small primer size for large pockets. I think the durability will depend on how hard you push on it. So far for mine, no sign of wear. I’m considering putting it on a drill. I am sure it will wear out faster, but might be worthwhile with time saved. Putting Lyman type on a drill didn’t work well for me.
    I will look into that of what you stated about. Thank you for letting me know.I did have the Lyman and worn that down for the years of use and then a Lee and that is worn out. I did not know of what to use and seen that the screw driver work and that is why i use that .I will try the RCBS then.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I use the Sinclair primer pocket uniformers. They are carbide so should last forever. They work by hand, with a hand drill or on the lathe. Once a case has been uniformed, they work easily by hand with a single twist for pocket cleaning. They are expensive but work like nothing else I've used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast