RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: 2-ply Al GC + PC

Boolit Master

2-ply Al GC + PC

I've already done due diligence by searching and reading about 2-ply checks. So here's what I'm doing.

Coors Light aluminum 'bottles' and 16-oz cans are .006 thickness.

Using a Pat Marlins Checkmaker, I'm making 1 and 2-ply checks and applying to Lee TL312-155 and GCing and PCing with Smokes clear and push sizing to .311. Also prepped some with Gator checks for a control group.

So far at 50 yards with the 1-ply Al GCs and Cu GCs groups are the same size, same POI from a 12 twist .308 over 22.0/4198. The 2-ply checks (.012) are next up later this week. I'll try to get out to the club range for 100/200 yd testing.

Is anyone else PCing Al GCs? Results?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    I got out to the club range yesterday and fired three 5-shot groups at 100 yards; Cu GC, 1-ply Al GC, and 2-ply Al GC. They were all 1.5" and same point of impact. Nothing revealing here.

Methinks more 1-ply testing is needed. They are simpler to make and do not use up the the Al discs as fast. Yea, they're a PIA to make (but cheap). It appears to be viable alternative.

It sure was a pretty day, 55dF, wind NE at 3-5.

Is no one else PCing over Al GCs?

Boolit Master
    I'm making my own gas checks with pop can aluminum, but lubing conventionally. So far 1 ply and 2 ply have given the same results, but I haven't pushed harder than 1650 fps or so in my 270 win.

Boolit Master
    I need to make a correction on can thickness in my first post. I am not using 16-oz cans but 24-oz cans. The 24-oz cans are .006.

I'm going to run another 10 each rounds with Cu and 2-ply Al. This time I will use IMR3031 and bump the velocity on up. After careful relook of my targets from the other day, the 1-ply Al group was actually larger than the other two.

Sundog,
    Thanks for sharing your results between one and two ply gas checks. In addition, I was curious if you knew how fast your .308 boolits where traveling?

The lee tl version of the bullet your using, the lee 312-160 tl bullet pc over a home made al gc made from gc makers I make using 14/1000th's thick al flashing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

1 1/2" 10-shot group @ 100yds with that bpc'd bullet pictured above doing 2679fps in a 1 in 14 twist 308w bbl.
    [IMG][/IMG]

In Remembrance
    The .014 flashing is good for .310 if the shank is .284 or a little less. The problem with flashing is its really hard usually, some brands will show the alloy and you can google the specs. I think Comet metals sells small .015 coils of half hard, but you need to order a substantial amount to get a reasonable price. I don't know what their minimums are. .014 is barely thick enough, but roof flashing in small rolls is the best bet for personal use. Here is a source I found via Google: https://www.storeseven.com/amerimax6...iABEgIokvD_BwE

Cut the flashing into strips. Next time you cast bullets grab those strips and a pair of gloves. Put the gloves on and hold 10/12 strips at a time and dip them in the molten lead in your bullet making pot. I use a lee #20 pot. Count to 5 and pull them out and wipe them off with the other gloved hand. Turn them around and stick then into the pot again. Count to 5, pull them out and wipe them off.

You now have fully annealed al flashing strips.

Wash rinse repeat until you either run out of strips or get board. It's nothing to anneal 30/40 strips per minute.