Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt® LE6920 Semiautomatic Tactical Rifle comments?

Boolit Master

Colt® LE6920 Semiautomatic Tactical Rifle comments?

Considering purchasing one as my first AR. Wondering what others think of it. I can get a good price (about $850) and am not up to building an AR at this time. As time goes by and my wants evolve it should be easy to upgrade and in the interim if it is quality will provide a good bang for the buck.

As long as what you're buying is 'mil spec,' it's all good. Colt has in the past, built both AR's and 1911's that deviated from the norm.

Boolit Grand Master

No point in spending that much if you’re going to upgrade it in the future. That’s a rifle you leave as is and shoot it. It’s a milspec rifle out of the box. Personally I’d look at one of the lesser cost ones, spend the money saved on a couple thousand rounds, shoot those rounds and then decide what you want to change.

There’s nothing wrong w/ that rifle. But you’re paying a premium for the Colt name.

Boolit Master

what he said ^^^^^^^^^

but you will also have better resale value because of the name as well.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Colt® LE6920 Semiautomatic Tactical Rifle comments?

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    but you will also have better resale value because of the name as well.
    Only if it’s in original form. Otherwise it’s a modified AR on a Colt lower. There will be plenty of people that will pay a premium for that rollmark even if the rifle is modified. People like to waste lots of money on items produced by Colt.

Boolit Master
    I would have a hard time paying that for an AR these days but at the end of the day it is what you decide and makes you happy. Yes- COLT, but I have seen/held rattle traps from them also out of the box. A five hundred dollar one gives you 1K rounds to figure out what you like using your number of intent. Added is you can bang up on a cheap one getting to know the platform.

Boolit Master

Buying from the actual mil-spec factory has its perks and $850 is a good price. Since they've had over 50 years of practice with immediate feedback on what isn't right what they turn out is heavily checklisted before it gets kicked out the door and is usually locked down very tight.

If you want a rifle that's going to RUN, without a lot of fuss and bother, I'd say buy one, change the furniture to suit, and LEAVE THE PRIMARY OPERATING GUTS ALONE!!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

One thing that Colt does that very few do is HPT the each and every bolt. That's part of Milspec, also underneath the FSB the barrel is parkerized. You could do much worse for your first AR. Colts been making the commercial model since 1964.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Buy it, shoot it, be happy.

Boolit Master
    Decided it is a good price for what it is, one could do much worse and that it probably will run right when taken out of the box. Buy it, shoot it, be happy is very good advice. My thanks to you all.

That's a better price than FN; the "other" mil issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

As a previous end user and AR15 collector, Colt is the real deal. They have been making them from the git go and have tried everything in the book to make them cheaper which has either panned out in the long run or fizzled and changed to something more durable. Granted, I've got an A2, a 6920 complete and a 6920 upper on an off brand receiver, I've never had a problem with a Colt black rifle. I have four other off brands that 2 are gtg and two problematic.

If you don't have the knowledge, Colt is the way to go and at that price, a no brainer. Shoot and enjoy.

Boolit Master

Have the exact same rifle and is a sweet piece of equipment that is for certain. Also have a PSA (half the price) M4 clone and it is every bit its equal where reliability is concerned and at the end of the day what else matters? If life was on the line I would pick up the PSA as readily as the Colt - no questions asked. As an aside I have two Colts and four PSA’s in the AR platform so this is not an idle observance. Having said that I have no regrets buying the Colts as I will oneday sell them for more than I paid after years of enjoyment and still have the PSA’s going strong. Smart money is on the clone for keepers and shooters... YMMV
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Have a pre ban Colt hbar and I bought it used, in very good to excellent condition. Don't do mag dumps or sustained firing and the lands still have sharp edges. Loves the Sierra 69 grain with w748. The Colt M4 is actually the newest one I have and I love shooting it, same as with the hbar is that I don't do mag dumps or sustained fire so I expect that the barrels on both the hbar and M4 will last a good long time. Granted Colt's aren't cheap but if you keep it stock and take care of the barrel will definitely have a higher resale than other makes. So if your heart is set on the LE 6920 go for it as you won't be disappointed. Just as an aside the triggers on my two Colts seem to be better than some of the other makers. A good friend bought a not colt hbar and his trigger was so heavy you could pick it up by the trigger and it wouldn't set the trigger off, BTW the rifle was unloaded and verified to be so before I did this. Frank

Boolit Master
    I laugh when I hear folks talk about "Colt" being the "real deal" The real deal's were mass produced by a number of companies....I was issued and carried an M-16 A-1 in 1971 that I can assure you was the real deal...and it was made by General Motors. Harrington Richards, F/N and even Bushmaster have supplied m-16's to the US Military. (Bushmaster was even sued by Colt to stop it...LOL then Colt lost the contract to F/N)

The Colt is a good rifle but is overpriced. $200 is too much to pay for a name. Mil Spec is Mil Spec no matter what company made it and after the loss of the contract Colt started making non Mil Spec rifles to sell to the civilian trade.

Boolit Master
    Rick,

As long as some people think (rightly or wrongly) Colts has better quality control or just like the karma of owning Colt and are willing to pay a couple hundred dollars more for it over another less know brand the rifle is worth a couple hundred dollars more. When it is time to sell it off a Colts will retain more value as folks will still value the great American name and believe there was better quality control in its manufacture. Value is a vague thing to describe what its causes are except when there is a market and a product can get a premium then it has a premium value. Understand you may not think it worthwhile to pay up or see any need to but that has little impact on market values.

My guess is an off brand can be had for much less in a Black Friday sale and when it comes time to sell it off will still be worth far less than a used Colt. An off brand also comes with a greater chance it will not run perfectly. Messing around with an off brand to work it out is not in my deck and so to me it is worth a couple hundred dollars to have an almost perfect chance of being GTG. Probably worth it to others and so there is the value of the piece. You may like chocolate ice cream and I may like vanilla and we are both lucky to have the choice. I, for example, would pay $200 to not shoot whatever the animal is pictured below your name. We are different people with different values sharing an interest here. If one offered me a lot of money I would still not kill that creature, but you paid up to do so as do many others. Was your hunt worth what you paid for it or a sub-optimal use of money?

PB

Boolit Master

IMHO no selector switch on the gun means not milspec. Did .GOV order them with out it? Not talking Civilian police but talking for the Armed services.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I laugh when I hear folks talk about "Colt" being the "real deal" The real deal's were mass produced by a number of companies....I was issued and carried an M-16 A-1 in 1971 that I can assure you was the real deal...and it was made by General Motors. Harrington Richards, F/N and even Bushmaster have supplied m-16's to the US Military. (Bushmaster was even sued by Colt to stop it...LOL then Colt lost the contract to F/N)

The Colt is a good rifle but is overpriced. $200 is too much to pay for a name. Mil Spec is Mil Spec no matter what company made it and after the loss of the contract Colt started making non Mil Spec rifles to sell to the civilian trade.
    Bushmaster NEVER supplied the US Armed Services. They were sued for using the M4 trademark. Bushmaster has been used to supply NGOs and third world countries which we supplied (ie Georgia). When the US Army Tank Command purchased Ruger P95s for Iraq, does that mean they are a US standard pistol? No it doesn't. Colt has been selling commercial AR15s to the market since 1963.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned

I had to chuckle a couple years ago. I traded off two ar15s one was a 1000 dollar top end stag and the other was a old colt lower I got buying a bunch of parts once. I built it with a cheap dmps parts kit and a cheap model one upper. I was offered two hundred bucks more for the colt marked gun because it said colt on it. For the most part the name stamp on an ar means nothing. The owner of the local gunshop was laughing a while back. He bought a bunch of ruger and psa lowers. He said he paid 10 bucks more for the ruger bare lower and could sell them built on psa parts for 200 bucks more then the guns with the psa lowers as fast as he put them on the rack. Allways chuckled at guys that think anything ruger is a premium brand. Some of the worse quality control ive ever seen in rifles and handguns has come from ruger.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Only if it’s in original form. Otherwise it’s a modified AR on a Colt lower. There will be plenty of people that will pay a premium for that rollmark even if the rifle is modified. People like to waste lots of money on items produced by Colt.

Boolit Master
    Just recently I had a person want to trade me a premium grade PSA AR-15 for a gun I have listed for sale. Told him nope! If it was a Colt, I would have traded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast