Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Remington rolling block copy

Boolit Master

Remington rolling block copy

I have been looking at my number 5 and thinking about how to copy it. I am thinking about finding a marlin model 60 barrel and casting a bronze receiver. It would be alot of work but I think it wpuld be a fun project. Has anyone tried something like this before.

Boolit Master

Look up a gentleman by the name of Frank De Haas. He was known as Mr. Single Shot and developed his own single shot action and also wrote a couple of books on gunsmithing the majority of the various single shot actions of the 19th and early 20th century.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

It would be easier to make a Phoenix action over a rolling block, was planning on doing a small one for 22LR.Got a full size original that I'm working on now in 40-50 SS. Also been working on a small frame Remington Beals from a picture in a book by Frank De Haas.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    It would be easier to make a Phoenix action over a rolling block, was planning on doing a small one for 22LR.Got a full size original that I'm working on now in 40-50 SS. Also been working on a small frame Remington Beals from a picture in a book by Frank De Haas.
    He was an awesome gunsmith and researcher for his time.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I made a breech block for a 12.7 Swedish roller I have ( it was missing so the price was ok ). that alone was a big job for an amateur like me.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

It could be done. There are dozens of small framed 22 single shots that use the hammer to lock the breechblock closed at firing as a rolling block does.
    I don't know what machine tools you may have access to but if you have the ability to cast parts that may be one way to do it.
    If I were going to make a 22 single shot I would make the action in two halves out of flat stock and mill both sides for clearance for the moving parts then use any action pivot pins such as for the hammer, trigger, breechblock, extractor to keep both action halves lined up then you could replace them with close fitting screws or even TIG weld the halves together and use taper pins ground flush with the sides.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Do some research on the various grades of bronze. They are not all equal, and some of them approach the strength of steel. I had occasion to make bronze bushings for a farmer. He had exactly one brand new bushing that I could take measurements from it and duplicate what he wanted. Pretty simple as the outside surface as received from the parts supplier didn't have to be touched. Inside diameter and length. When done all 6 in total he picked them up. I did tell him to make sure that whatever shafts he was putting these on had to be clean of old grease, dirt and mud. Said they fit perfectly. Only time I ever did something like that. That bronze was so hard when using HHS chips flew all over. The chip tray was full of bronze. Later that week he sent over a tractor with a clam shell split bucket and some guys with chainsaws to take a tree down that was on its last legs. I used my little Kubota to get the smaller short limbs. Made a great pile and burned nicely. No money exchanged hands he supplied the material and I the lathe. I was very careful with the inside diameter dimensions. That and a few sheets of paper and some pencils. Cut the grease grooves with a little dremel and one of their spiral cutters. Frank

ASSRA-look for archived drawings-$10 in digital form so you can obtain and zero in(and/or print) on any part.
    Can't remember number of pages for RB. Worth $10 if you only use for reference.
    Have dreams of creating a RB myself.
    Reminds me, I owe them for tang sight plans!
    Thanks.