Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: No lube grooves

Boolit Grand Master

No lube grooves

Because PC does not use lube, would it be OK to size a boolet to much, and just PC it?????
    I have some .329 to .331 8mm. I was thinking of sizing them down to .326.
    Lube grooves will probably get smashed in.
    But with PC, it wouldn't matter....correct????

Boolit Master

Same say it doesnt and same it does. Try it and see how it works for you. Then post the results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I've got .30 cal. molds both with and without lube grooves and, so far as accuracy, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two. Never tried sizing down so far that lube grooves were 'ironed off" completely.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Sizing to .326 isn't going to "iron off" the grooves though it will shallow them up a bit. I always try to do the minimum sizing I can get away with, figuring that sizing risks some deformation, though I have to admit that for years I have been taking a wonderful 117 grain 32/20 boolit that casts .315 and sizing it clear down to .311 and even to .309 with nothing but satisfactory results.

But I'm in there with Rcmaverick: give her a try and report back here with results.

Banned

I agree
    I tending to to try BLL
    Last edited by jmort; 11-18-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    As far as sizing down and coating I don't see a problem, because anytime you size you are moving metal somewhere. .003-.005 is not a excessive because some molds are oversized in that range to begin with. You are still going to have lube grooves showing. The only problem I can see is if sizing caused the base to no longer be flat, it would be less accurate. As far as deforming, your bullet not concentric when it comes out of the mold, meaning it is not round, its lopsided; sizing does not fix this.

I have both grooved and non-grooved in a couple. Hard to tell a difference as stated before. I had to try, but think I wasted some money, honestly.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I size my Lyman 6.5, some parts are not showing signs of touching the sizer.
    I PC them and they shoot fine.
    I wanted to cast them bigger, so that when I size them all sides are touched/sized.
    Want the round as possible.
    Them PC them.
    They shoot fine, so it might not be worth it.

Boolit Master
    If you want the 6.5 larger in diameter just do a double PC. Do a "Partial Cure" by doing your usual PC except when you put them into the oven only leave them in until the powder has evenly flowed, this only takes about 200 degrees. Then remove the under-cured bullets. Coat them again and this time do a full cure. The second coat will flow into the first coat and cross link. Multiple coats can be applied this way. Hopefully this will give you the diameter you desire.

When you size the bands will indeed be round, but not the nose. Separate sizing of the nose will make the nose round, at least where the die touches, but the bullet will remain non-concentric. Like laying a nickle on a quarter, you have two round circles, but that doesn't mean they are concentric. A lopsided bullet will give you pretty good full power accuracy out to about 50 yards, but by 100 yards the wobble becomes very apparent and only gets worse. To make the bullet completely concentric will require sizing the entire bullet. "Bama" made his own special sizing tooling to reform his bullets and to my knowledge has had the greatest success in this area. His are the best cast rifle bullets I have ever seen. I would suggest you read his posts if you wish to pursue this.