RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Wally world and 22rf ammo

Boolit Master

Wally world and 22rf ammo

Was in wally world and as usual checked out the gun dept. Was shocked as they had no 22rf ammo on the shelves. Only about 6 buckets of rem 22rf. Wonder if another panic is starting again?. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

All kinds of 22lr in the WalMarts near me. Many sales online for cheaper than walmart right now. Wally's upped the prices for the Golden Buckets recently so I don't buy from them anymore.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

My observation -- nothing more -- at our local Wal*Mart appears to be a function of their distribution process. Not exclusive to any product -- including rimfire ammunition -- it has regularly occurred where any number of items are totally sold out, before the eventual replacement on their shelves. My guess -- nothing more -- is a good part of their pricing is dependent upon their having their tractor-trailer delivery trucks FILLED to capacity, which is compounded by and with their purchasing from their suppliers: the greater the quantity, the less per unit cost. Also, at present, the trucks may be filled with "seasonal" (e.g., Christmas) merchandise, which their sales personnel reckon will be giving a higher return. After early November, too, ammunition may very well be considered a seasonal item as well... not as much sales potential for that as there is for Christmas ornaments and enticements to get wallet-filled folks in the store. "Black Friday" is but a few days from today...
    geo

Boolit Master
    Thats just wal mart, times I wonder if they look thru inventory and say people like that....so lets stop carrying it. So many times I have gone looking for something they always had, not anymore.

Plenty of 22 to be had, I managed to get a brick other day for $29, the aguila pistol stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    My observation -- nothing more -- at our local Wal*Mart appears to be a function of their distribution process. Not exclusive to any product -- including rimfire ammunition -- it has regularly occurred where any number of items are totally sold out, before the eventual replacement on their shelves. My guess -- nothing more -- is a good part of their pricing is dependent upon their having their tractor-trailer delivery trucks FILLED to capacity, which is compounded by and with their purchasing from their suppliers: the greater the quantity, the less per unit cost...
    My impression also. I live less than a half-mile from the local store of a major Midwest farm/home supply chain (Farm & Fleet) and it happens that my BIL, a retired dairy farmer, works part-time at the chain's 'flagship' store in Wisconsin. According to him, their store inventory levels are based solely upon sales history/forecast numbers and once those numbers are established, it's next to impossible to obtain a revision before the next review cycle. He cited a case where he had sold a large quantity of sanitary hardware for milking machinery (filling the order required bringing in stock from two other F&Fs) to a neighbor who was overhauling the system in one of his milk barns and, when the restock came in the following month, their standard shelf inventory had been tripled due to the unforecasted sales spike. Took over a year for the department manager to get the numbers changed back while, in the meantime, they had unopened cases of hardware collecting dust in the warehouse.

I observed similar with our local F&F back during the 'ammunition crisis'. Their stock of .22s was intermittent (and overpriced!) but always seemed to have .223 and 9mm on the shelf, also at 'panic' prices...like $179 + tax for bulk pack of 200 Fed FMJ. After supplies began coming back, some of those over-priced boxes sat on the shelves for over a year while sales of newer (better priced) stock returned to normal. Why? I asked my BIL and he told me that prices...except for 'clearance sales'...are set by the home office and store-level management can't reprice without approval from above. Also, as in the case with the .223s, not allowed to return 'old' (overpriced) stock and reorder 'new', more competitively priced without "a decree from Jane, herself." ("Jane" being Jane Blaine, the daughter of one of the F&F founders and current CEO.)

I suspect similar policies may be in place at most of the big chain stores...'specially now that they're all offering internet sales.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Kraschenbirn, "Jane is penny pinching, she bought the older ammo at a higher price than she can buy it now and she is stubbornly trying to get her money back and break even. Won't happen, ever!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    Just curious as to what other members have seen recently at their local wally world. Though couldn't help but wonder as the shelves that two weeks ago were full of 22rf ammo were now bare.They did have a good stock of CCI, Fed auto match in the 350 rd packs and Fed value packs. Now nothing. Maybe they were so busy getting ready for Black Friday they decided to forgo the 22rf ammo. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    Plenty on the shelves at my local WM.

Can order online elsewhere, the Federal "Black pack" stuff for 2.9 cents/round shipped, after rebate.

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^^^^^This!
    Thanks, RockRat.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Can order online elsewhere, the Federal "Black pack" stuff for 2.9 cents/round shipped, after rebate.
    I need to stay off this forum. You just cost me some money
    W/ free shipping and the rebate it came to $.025 per round. This is well below pre shortage prices and is around late nineties early 2000s prices. Wish Federal didn’t limit the rebate to five cases.

In Remembrance

I enjoy going into my local Wally World gun dept. to buy some .22`s. My biggest thrill is a pimple faced kid asking me for some ID to prove that I`m over the age of 21! Its been so long ago that I don`t remember what 21 even looked like!Robert

Boolit Master

See it you have to buy it. Wait and complain none there is to bad.

The kid is doing as he is told and obeying to keep his job. Guys laugh it off, get in a huff why?:

Boolit Master

I checked the .22 RF stock at our local WalMart yesterday. They had a good supply as usual. Maybe a little low on the bulk boxes.

I give credit to WAlMart that through the recent shortage I was able to frequently purchase my "allotment" of 3 boxes at a decent price. Usually it was 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags at $7.47 a box. The LGS was $15.00+ for the same when they had them.
    Chuck