Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lee manufacturing getting better?

Boolit Master

Lee manufacturing getting better?

Cast some boolits from a brand-new Lee mold yesterday and was pretty impressed. The mold, a 175 gr 8mm, is the first Lee I've acquired in more than two or, maybe, three years and all I did in the way of prep was a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner followed by a toothbrush scrubbing with Dawn detergent. A drop of 2-stroke oil on the sprue plate pivot, pre-heat on the hot plate and by the third cast I was getting some really good looking boolits. Cast 50-60 pieces, keeping boolits from each cavity in separate piles and, after they cooled, did a 100% weigh & measure. From my Lyman #2, boolits weighed out at just over 175 gr with less than .5 gr. variance between cavities; 'as cast' diameter at drive bands: .326-.328 with .318-.319 nose (both cavities). This isn't quite as good as the last mold I received from Jared at Arsenal but certainly better than any 'out-of-the-box' Lee mold I've acquired in the past.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-17-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I got two excellent Lee molds last week.

I was prepared to do all kind of work to them... break them up a bit...well, I ended up emptying my whole pot,wondering the overall quality of everything,including the handles.

I have about ten Lee molds but haven't bought one in ten years or so. They all needed more or less work.

My most recent Lee 6 cavity mold purchase would confirm your idea that the new Lee molds are better. I got one a few days ago that was perfect.

Boolit Master
    Just when you think everything is ducky, half the mold will fall off and into the melt.

Boolit Master

Better, but not quite there yet. I'll make my own post once I get it ready on a recent experience.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    All of mine been working fine for me anyway. Glad to hear yours is doing well too!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.