Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing live primers.

Mick: This was just done to irritate you. We Yanks feel the need to mess with you Aussies every once in a while.

Can you feel it yet?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Mick: This was just done to irritate you. We Yanks feel the need to mess with you Aussies every once in a while.

Can you feel it yet?

Randy
    Years of working doors at rough clubs, self employed in retail dealing with the public, then 23 1/2 years as a prison officer. It's like water off a ducks back, haha!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I also have removed many live primers from cartridge cases. When I read of someone being fearful about them going off I wonder why? Even if they do go off what is the big deal?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Please move this if in the wrong section.

This seems to come up with monotonous regularity and answers range far and wide.

I have always just knocked the primer out in the loading operration and have never, ever had a problem over decades of reloading. When I have reported this, I get all sorts of warnings, etc.

Well, the other day I was gifted 200x 270Win rounds in old packets. One packet was in fair condition and they definitely looked like factory loads, so I gave them to a friend who is a cartridge collector.

The rest were confusing, most looked new, some definitely reloads. All were very cruddy looking, but no verdigris. I pulled them apart using my 1981 vintage Kinetics Bullet Pulling hammer (te rubber band broke this year, so I used the shellholder, which is easier to use than the rubber band anyway).

The powder went on the roses and was watered in well.

Using the Lee Decapping Die, Safety Glasses, the 180 primers were knocked out on my (also 1981 vintage) RCBS Rokchucker.

None went off, which is what I expected. Sorry to disappoint all of the nervous nellies (of which there doesn't seem to be many on this forum.
    Are people really still debating this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4M6K-woUEE

/End

Yes that is me.

Also, Primers are meant to work by striking a cheap/thin piece of metal HARD and making it impact with an ANVIL. But trying to strike the ANVIL and make it impact with the metal part? Come on now...

Anyone that would get all uppity here belongs at Calguns...

Oh yeah I said THAT! Just Kidding Kes. Luv ya still...
    Last edited by Stilly; 11-22-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post

Yeah I have to agree with that. They do tend to get all puffed up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I also have removed many live primers from cartridge cases. When I read of someone being fearful about them going off I wonder why? Even if they do go off what is the big deal?

Ken
    Uh, the surprise makes someone almost wet their pants? That's all I can think of. I've had a couple go off in the press but I knew it was going to happen. They were sideways in the pockets. It was either press a little harder or take the press apart to get them out. I jumped a little even though I was expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post

It's been so long since I visited Calguns that I forgot they existed. I watched that big drama many years ago. Something about some gun friendly version of PayPal that went south IIRC.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

done thousands of them treating them just like a spent primer and never had a single one go bang.

Boolit Master

I've probably done dozens, maybe even hundreds in contrast to your thousands but yeah, it's no big deal. As I mentioned, the couple that I did set off were in the process of setting the primer in the case; not removing it and I expected them to pop. Just didn't want to spend 15 minutes disassembling the primer area on a Dillon 650.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I just de-capped 600 live 30-06 cases and have about 300 more to go. No problems. I use the Lee cup and de=capper that comes in the Lee Loader for nearly all of my de-capping. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Bub
    I've been surprised at how many primers I find sideways in the pocket and despite being squished they didn't go off. Some are from my own loading....mostly the Square Deal B or the 650 Dillons but occasionally one will flip in one of the other presses and get smashed. I have yet to see one pop. Even in factory ammo we occasionally see upside down or sideways primers.....never seen one that went off priming or depriming.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I just de-capped 600 live 30-06 cases and have about 300 more to go. No problems. I use the Lee cup and de=capper that comes in the Lee Loader for nearly all of my de-capping. my experience anyway, james
    Ditto.

When I first started loading in '65 I got a few hundred WW2 live rounds ('41 and '42 stuff) which was corrosive capped and crimped in place. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and decapped with a borrowed Lee Loader and my own hammer. About 85% of them detonated, the rest went quietly.

I had no loading space then so I worked cross legged on our living room floor and used a concrete block as a work table. I wore a cheep leather work glove on my left hand to hold the loose fitting decap rod in place while I hammered. I didn't die, my wife and two toddlers didn't die. I didn't even lose a finger or hand and none of our windows blew out. Since then I've gently pushed out several hundred un-crimped live caps on a press without a single one popping.

Don't want to offend anyone but it's always been a mild source of amusement to read cringing fear on the net about the supposed hazards of setting off that tiny little bit of impact sensitive priming compound. ???

Boolit Master
    I had a primer go off in the press.......the old cat was sleeping curled up just behind,and he didnt move.....seems he either didnt hear it,or didnt register .......My worry with primers popping is that one of the nervous neighbours will drop a dime on me..........gun registration.....cops itching to make a name......next the cops little tank in the front yard.

Boolit Master
    I had a primer go off once broke the big hotplate on the wood stove,and the case put a dent in the roof above.The noise was deafening.Frightened the life out of me.....found out later the bullet was explosive,and I had pulled it in the vise.

Boolit Master

I would recommend anyone using the Lee Loader set up to de-prime do so by using a wooden or rawhide mallet and the Lee cup set on a wood 2x4, not on a hard surface. I haven't popped a primer since I started using this method. While it is not really dangerous to pop a primer(as long as you have shooting glasses on), you might need to change your britches after doing so. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I would recommend anyone using the Lee Loader set up to de-prime do so by using a wooden or rawhide mallet and the Lee cup set on a wood 2x4, not on a hard surface. I haven't popped a primer since I started using this method. While it is not really dangerous to pop a primer(as long as you have shooting glasses on), you might need to change your britches after doing so. james
    My first foray into reloading as a teenager was with a Lee Loader loading for my 44Mag 94 Winchester. Mt Da wasn't big on tools and the only hammer we had was a carpenter's claw hammer. No matter how prepared you were for the bang, you couldn't help but jump when you set a primer off whilst seating it, haha. I was young and dumb, it never occurred to me to use a lump of wood, haha. I managed to survive just the same.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Just had my first primer go off when hand priming a brass. It wasnt going in well, I knew something was wrong, sideways or what ever, and didnt want to tear it apart to get the brass out of the shell holder, so I just squeezed really hard, when it went off I was not ready at all for the bang. Neither was the dog laying next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
    Just had my first primer go off when hand priming a brass. It wasnt going in well, I knew something was wrong, sideways or what ever, and didnt want to tear it apart to get the brass out of the shell holder, so I just squeezed really hard, when it went off I was not ready at all for the bang. Neither was the dog laying next to me.
    HaHa! Get's your attention doesn't it?

Boolit Grand Master

The only time that I ever accidentally set one off was when using a Lee loader and a hammer. I've never had a problem when using a press, even with crimped in primers.

Boolit Grand Master

In the past 50 years I've probably decaped about 500 live primers with nary a popped one.
    I just went slow.
    The only primers I did have pop were being seated with a Lee Whack-A-Mole unit...there was a tiny little teat left on the place where the primer sat ....when you drove the case down onto the unit with the primer sitting on that little teat , half the time it fired...after about 10 primers going off I took the kit back to the gunshop....the owner looked at it and said "my Lord I see the problem" , took a Dremel and ground the base flat and solved that problem.
    My start in reloading had about made me a nervous wreck !

Lightman knows.....
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    My experience is the same as Lightman. When I pick up range brass after matches I end up with around 50 loaded rounds, I pull the bullets and dump the powder, then I deprime the live primers on my 550. Some of these rounds have been wet so I let the pulled primers dry for a week or more then reload them for practice rounds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast