Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever wonder

Boolit Bub

Do you ever wonder

If you’ll ever shoot all the bullets that you have cast. In 45 Years of casting I have hundreds of pounds bullets cast. I love casting I hate sizing and Lubing. Powder coding is good. ( shaken bake message ) I shoot 3 to 5 times a week anywhere from 50 to 150 rounds each session.
    MR45

Boolit Master

I shoot everything i have cast 2 to 3 times a year. I have the jars about the size of the large peanut containers from the dollar store. Each bullet type has three jars. When i get down to one jar i cast and refill the other 2 jars. Each jar holds about 20lbs of bullets.

As much as i love shooting. I like playing with different gun powders. No so much of a search of the magic load, but more to see what works the best. Thats kind of why i shoot so many. Some guns act up and some just take a while to find something that works. Cough cough ***260 Rem and 30-30***cough
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have something that works for your 260 Rem, please share it with me. I’m working on 6.5mmx55se and having a hard time. Maybe some of your experience would help me.

Thanks

Tell us your 30-30 problems. We're listening. I'm trying to figure out what my .300 BO wants boolit wise! I know nothing of 6-1/2mm anything, sorry:-/
    Back to the OP, I try to cast a year's worth during our three week brutal winter......

Boolit Buddy

I have over 40K boolits cast lubed and ready to load. I shoot about 4K a year plus many J-words. I’m getting up there in years, but, I hope I’ll get to them all.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

The amount cast probably don't reflect the amount shot. I know when I have a cast bullet visitor, he usually goes home with a bag or box of this number to try. Kind of passing the wealth on and enhancing the species./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    The amount cast probably don't reflect the amount shot. I know when I have a cast bullet visitor, he usually goes home with a bag or box of this number to try. Kind of passing the wealth on and enhancing the species./beagle
    Yep. I cast and pc or size lube way more than I shoot.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Odds are against me ever shooting what I have loaded but casting and reloading is my stress relief after deer season is over and its dark so fast after work I move into my shop. Sometimes I cast until I get tired of that then I may powder coat everything that is not moving. Or I may process brass for some reason I keep picking up like I am just starting out and have buckets full. Or I look over all my ammo and decide which one is the lowest in count and reload.
    I noticed I now have 8 ammo boxes full of 45 acp not in boxes just tossed in a 50 cal ammo cans but I still have buckets of brass that is asking to be loaded lol. When my kids were at the house all the time they helped out keeping the ammo in check but not the stock pile grows faster then it gets shot.
    I do not think its a bad problem to have it keeps me sane or I think it helps lol
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Have a slew of rigs. Usually shoot one till I run out of bullets..... then either cast up several more hundred or change rigs. I love to cast but mainly only shoot rifles anymore and like to limit casting to,two moulds at a time. Have several moulds that have never been used? Most of my rigs are one mould guns. Find a tackdriver load for it's intended usage, and then go shoot.... run out of CB's several times a year.

Boolit Master

I read this thread last night while in bed, before drifting off to sleep I tried to recall all the wheel weights and other types of lead that I have accumulated over the years and shot threw my guns. As close as I can remember it comes close to between 9 and 10 tones. This doesn't include the 1600-1700 lbs. I have on hand at the moment.
    My biggest haul was 40 some years ago when I picked up 14 and a half, 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights from a small gas station on the edge of a small town south of me.
    I should get my blood levels checked for lead.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I've often wondered the same thing. Thinking and talking about this has caused me to get better at labeling my reloads and marking my cast bullet containers. Hopefully my Sons and Friends will have a good time shooting up my ammo and talking about me after I'm gone!

I also have a dedicated beer fridge in the garage. They will enjoy that too!
    Last edited by lightman; 11-22-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Never really though about it. Unless I'm working up something for a new caliber/gun, I rarely cast during the summer months and, over the winter, cast quantities based upon estimates of what I'm going to need in the next 12 months or so. Naturally, I always have a few odds and ends of different calibers left over but those just go into next year's stock. Btw, based upon primer consumption, I'm down to shooting about 5000 rounds a year...over 90% cast...not counting .22s, of course.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    You otta see my reloading room...It has about 40 Costco plastic nut jars filled with various cast boolits, mostly .44's.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    ROFLMAO ! Shoot all I cast ? That's a good one, aint enough time in the day to CAST all I wanna SHOOT !

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i enjoy casting so i try to keep a few thousand for each gun but space doesn't always allow especially when several guns of same caliber need different sized bullets.

Boolit Master
    in 1980 I laid down a Harley. 3 months in the hospital. 4 more at home. the only thing I could do was cast and reload. still using some of the bullets.

I can legitimately claim around 500 pounds of wheel weight, scrap and pure lead, along with misc. pewter. At average 150 gr per boolit, I have a supply of approximately 23,000 boolits in the making. I may have to start shooting more to use that up in my natural lifetime; it could be a personal goal. About twenty years ago when my ex-wife and I were separated she took 300 pounds of lead I had inherited from my step father to the scrap yard. That hurt.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I go through about 200 to 300lbs of lead a year. I really dont us much tin or pewter. I maybe use about a pound of pewter a year. I like to experiment alot though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I've only been casting for a little under 3 years. So far I tend to not cast enough and run out. I've learned that July is a sub-optimal time of year to run out of cast boolots since casting in the heat is not my favorite. Time to get going again to resupply.

Boolit Master

Man y’all have the good problem lol, start shooting competition and you’ll have to cast twice a week just to keep up lol.
    90% professional 10% mature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast