RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forming 357 & 30 Herrett from 375 Winchester

Boolit Master
    Using clean once fired range brass is exactly what is needed for the Herretts. Until you learn the forming and head spacing requirements of this round you will be killing expensive new brass. Due to the low pressure of the parent 30-30 round once fired cases are an excellent basis to form brass since they are not damaged by high pressures. I can say this because in addition to a .30 Herrett I own 2 bolt actions and a waffle top Marlin 336 in that caliber. I bought a 788 Rem in the late 1960s and I have never had a head separation.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    IF you have a bandsaw with a fine tooth blade, a jig can be made to rough cut to length out of a piece of oak. Drill appropriate size hole, split length wise, then use a screw and wing nut to clamp them up in. Set the fence for the proper length.
    We did this for all of the Herrett and US cartridges. Thought I had my jig but must have repurposed it. The jig held ten cases at a time. Clamping them up and making the jig wide enough so no more than necessary was out, cases cut very nice and pretty clean.

Using range brass, no matter how good it looks or what it was shot out of, is much akin to going to the junkyard looking for tires to drag race with, then complaining you never win. The end product will be no better than what you start with. Use range brass to maybe get a feel for swaging down, but I would not count on it for the long haul.
    Spending time energy and effort to make cases is not a small task.
    I won't stir the pot, but a lot of the issues folks have with cases not lasting has little to do with pressures causing it. Headspace on the shoulder and you will be fine, headspace on the rim........Bellm is not the final word on sizing for these break action pistols,mbut he does a good job explaining. For the most part, anything you know or think you know about sizing brass and reloading does not completely apply to these.
    EDG

I just use 30-30 brass for my 30 Herrett , my dies are the Pacific that T/C marketed . Ive had no issues with mine and they handle full house loads in my Contender ( 30-30 brass ) I'll loose one evey now and then . I made a trim die from a trashed 308 size die and that works well . Just my results .
    Tim

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Using clean once fired range brass is exactly what is needed for the Herretts. Until you learn the forming and head spacing requirements of this round you will be killing expensive new brass. Due to the low pressure of the parent 30-30 round once fired cases are an excellent basis to form brass since they are not damaged by high pressures. I can say this because in addition to a .30 Herrett I own 2 bolt actions and a waffle top Marlin 336 in that caliber. I bought a 788 Rem in the late 1960s and I have never had a head separation.
    After having fooled with my fair share of wildcats built from 30-30 cases, you end up with no better than you start with. The learning curve on forming some cases, sure I will use range brass and brass of unknown firings.
    But as far as building a batch for extensive use, I will buy new virgin. Just end up with to much time and effort in making cases to throw any kind of issue into the mix.
    I have 94's, 336's and TC's in 30-30. I have not had any head seperations, but then also, each gun has its own reloads. I strive for accuracy and don't reload a generic pile of ammo.

Back to the Herrets. I have had several different barrel lengths and makers over the years. Some chambers are longer,some shorter some bigger. I have a BF pistol in 30 H, also have a TC barrel in 30H. Both made by EAB Co, one would think custom the would interchange brass. Nope,not gonna happen. TC chamber is longer and the BF is tighter. Throats are different as well.

A lot of times dies will not size web area down enough on 30-30 range brass to fit in a a Herret or some 7-30's. Thus making one think there is an issue with the barrel or gun.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I am not new to these. Good luck and good shooting.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

Earlier I complained I couldn't find a 30 Herrett file trim die at a reasonable cost. I found a nice one but the price was out of sight. I made him an offer for way less (what I thought it was worth) and he took it so now I can trim them easily.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12