Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for low recoil/cowboy 45LC load with components I already have

Looking for low recoil/cowboy 45LC load with components I already have

I recently acquired a SAA (Cimarron-Arms/Uberti Evil Roy) w/a 5 1/2" barrel and am looking for suggestions -based upon your actual experience- on low recoil/cowboy loads using components that I already have. I have extensive reloading experience with other calibers in both handgun & rifle, just not with the 45 long colt.

The bullets that I have on hand (thanks to a friend) are Oregon Trail Laser-Cut lead 250 RNFP and 255 SWC.

Primers will be Remington (not magnum) or can be WLP's.

Powders available include Bullseye, AA#5, True Blue, Silhouette and Zip.

My priorities are as follows:
    1. Accurate to 25 yards
    2. Minimal recoil
    3. Good case fill volume (if possible)
    4. Minimal chance of a problem due to a squib or pressure spike

I fully expect the load to be fairly dirty due to low pressure and am not concerned about clean-up.

Your expertise and experience will be most appreciated!

I'll be honest here get some trail boss.

It slow and low. And easliy fills the case.

Has a sweet smell when shooting it.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    5 grains of Bullseye is starting load in .45 Colt. 6.5 grains approximates factory with 255-grain bullet. 7 grains is max.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks - that's what it looked like to me when cross-referencing different books & sites...just nice to get confirmation.

Still hoping for more options with the other powders that I already own. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm pretty well stocked up on powders I'd give Trail Boss a try but really need to work my way through my existing inventory.

Vendor Sponsor

Those laser cast boolits are a whole lot harder than anything I would use. Just sayin' because I think they are BHN22.

Have you tried poking them through the cylinder throats to see if they will go?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Bullseye out of the gate, around the track and headed for home. It's almost as old as the 45 Colt cartridge itself and it still works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Those laser cast boolits are a whole lot harder than anything I would use. Just sayin' because I think they are BHN22.

They fit through the cylinders fine - they are sized @ .452.

Super Moderator

For a 250/255 gr Cast Boolit: 5.5 Bullseye, 9.5 AA5, 7.5 True Blue. These are all "Cowboy Level" loads in 45 Colt. If you can get your hands on some Red Dot, 5 grains is a pretty darn slow mover too.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on 5.5 gr Bullseye.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tagged

Truth be told, I don’t know a single cowboy action shooter shooting a 250 grain in cowboy action. I am shooting a 200 with 4.8 grains 700X. Bullseye, red dot, 700 X, 231 and trail boss are the go to powders for reduced 45 colt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not a CAS shooter, but I am curious about the light bullet/slow-mover 45 Colt loads--how close do these loads hit to the fixed sights of the SAA revolvers being used in this sport?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I’d drop down to 200 gr rnfp to clang steel. Heavy bullets = heavy recoil. I do use 225-250s in my Marlin Cowboy but it doesn’t like anything lighter. I use the same 200s in my 45acp and 45lc just fine and it reduces your pistol reloading bullet inventory. Any of the shotgun powders work good for me, red dot, clays, clay dot ie. And I shoot duelist.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye. In .45 Colt with a 250/255 grain bullet, I think you'll find what you're looking for somewhere between 5.0 and 5.5 grains.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I am not a CAS shooter, but I am curious about the light bullet/slow-mover 45 Colt loads--how close do these loads hit to the fixed sights of the SAA revolvers being used in this sport?
    I find a 200 gr. bullet at 700 FPS hits very close to the same point as a 250 gr. at 850/900. This is out to 25 yards which is over twice the distance as SASS shooting.

Appreciate everyone's help.

I got to the indoor range yesterday with 50 rounds of the 250's over 5.0 of Bullseye.

Shot very well - accurate and fairly low recoil.

Cleaning today there was no leading...just the expected lube & powder residue.

Will put together some ladder tests to find the sweet spot. Am also picking up some Trail Boss for future use.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Not to hijack the thread but curious, the Rainier 250 Gr. TC Copper Clad bullets could do OK with 5-5.5 Gr Bullseye as well? I don't want a heavy load, just something to shoot in a S&W 25. Pretty sure 8.0 Gr Unique and 7.3 Gr. W-231 are about the same power range? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    I'll be honest here get some trail boss.

It slow and low. And easliy fills the case.

Has a sweet smell when shooting it.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tde44 View Post
    I recently acquired a SAA (Cimarron-Arms/Uberti Evil Roy) w/a 5 1/2" barrel and am looking for suggestions -based upon your actual experience- on low recoil/cowboy loads using components that I already have. I have extensive reloading experience with other calibers in both handgun & rifle, just not with the 45 long colt.

The bullets that I have on hand (thanks to a friend) are Oregon Trail Laser-Cut lead 250 RNFP and 255 SWC.

Primers will be Remington (not magnum) or can be WLP's.

Powders available include Bullseye, AA#5, True Blue, Silhouette and Zip.

My priorities are as follows:
    1. Accurate to 25 yards
    2. Minimal recoil
    3. Good case fill volume (if possible)
    4. Minimal chance of a problem due to a squib or pressure spike

I fully expect the load to be fairly dirty due to low pressure and am not concerned about clean-up.

Your expertise and experience will be most appreciated!
    I've been shooting cowboy action since 1985... and your list of priorities are mutually exclusive. And exacerbated by the bullet choices you have. Reducing recoil (felt recoil anyway), is best done by reducing the weight of the projectile. I'm shooting a 160 grain bullet from my Colt SAAs, utilizing "Cowboy 45 Special" cases from Starline... (think 45ACP length with 45Colt rim). My powder charges are 1/2 to 2/3s of what are needed in a 45 Colt case and the 65% (approximate), drop in bullet weight is astounding! I'm running both the C45S in the handguns and the 45 Colt in the rifle @ 625-650fps range. Enough recoil to have some tactile feedback, but light enough that I'm not bothered by the bursitis in my shoulder at the end of a 6 stage day! Or even double that on my infrequent practice days.

BTW, I've looked in all 22 reloading manuals I have and have not found any data for a 45 Long Colt... So I can't help one bit there.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

I am shooting .431 laser cast Oregon Trail in my 44 Special Ruger revolvers, and in my Rossi 44 Magnum. Either because they are a tad wider - .431" vs .430" Speer swaged lead, or due to their being very hard cast, they averaged about 80 fps faster in all loads with the same weight bullet, 240 grain, and same weight powder. But they are very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast