I am so very excited

I could bust
    Our firearms season for deer opens tomorrow and I just am very pumped
    its almost like my first season almost 50 years ago
    do you remember your first season?
    good luck to all and be safe
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I do remember my first deer season. I had been hunting small game (squirrels, rabbits and quail) and varmints (groundhogs and starlings) for several years. At the age of 12 I went hunting for deer with a 12 gauge Ithaca M66 Super Single (my first gun, which I still own). While sitting on a tree limb, I shot a small buck and knocked it to the ground. I'll never forget.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    First year...12 gauge SxS from Kmart....a little over three decades ago. No deer, it seized up and wouldn't open after shooting a a deer. I have been out bow hunting every day since Nov 2nd...accept for the day it poured rain. Been cherry picking my buck. Seen and passed up several bucks every day just nothing over a 150". The last two days they have been quiet in the morning and running in the late afternoon...after 4p.m. Good luck! My dad is going to use the 77/44 and my devastator loads this year. My standards go down after about noon the first day and just shoot any rack that looks nice. All the monsters go nocturnal around me after a few hours of shooting on opener. A few years back was the exception to the rule. No one was shooting anywhere and I shot a wall mounter chasing a doe at 7:45 am on the following wedsday. I was in my stand yesterday morning and never saw a deer...for the first time. There were over two hundred plus shots in every direction from 6:30am to 7:30am and then they all quit. I heard two shots after 8 am and then the shooting was all done. Either someone told the Amish deer hunting started yesterday or every last minute bone head was scaring every deer off their property sighting in at the last minute out their back door before going to work...OMG! I couldn't believe all the shooting...it was rediculous!...and then people wonder why they never see a deer on their property opening morning. That's fine, they can scare them all onto mine as usual.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-16-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    I remember my first deer kill at 15 yo hunting along the Ouachita river bottom along Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi area. Cold November day, sunny and had snowed over night. Unusual for La. but first day of season opened Sat. Morning, was sitting in a dry creek bed in the only sunny spot in the area. Warming up heard crashing coming from area down creek, looked deep into thicket surrounding the creek bed and a large to me buck running with antlers laidback, nose straight out, already had dads Rem. 1100 12ga. Pointed that way. #1 buck shot patterned into his chest, he rolled up almost at my feet. 9 point, very old buck. That started a life long quest into deer hunting, reloading and now casting. Have harvested about 50+ since then and the thrill keeps going.

Opening day 1972- I went Chuck Conners on a flying(running fast) spike and missed 6 times before he made it to the woods. I was using my Dad's seldom used m94 Win 30-30. We were hunting on Miss Bonnie's place and she loaned me her "lucky" Marlin 30-30 with a K Mart 4x scope. The buttstock was cracked so bad you had to hold it together agaist your shoulder. That afternoon I crossed a Dry Creek bed and low and behold there set a six-point Buck staring at me. I raised the rifle but I was shaking so badly I didn't think I could make a good shot. So I walked to a dead tree 10ft to my left and took a good rest and to my surprise the buck was still watching me intently. I forgot to hold the stock together for the shot so my perfect shoulder shot ended up being a perfect neck shot. He went down so fast I thought I had missed!
    Later that season I killed a spike at a water hole with an on purpose neck shot from my 22-250.
    And the next 5 seasons I never got a good shot at another buck. We weren't allowed to take does back then and the deer population wasn't a tenth of today's deer numbers.
    I've killed many, many deer with lots of different cartridges, but those first two are still very much in use for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    My first season was 1965. Got a doe with a M1917 Eddystone. 365 yards free hand shot. 13 years old. I wish I still had eyes like that!

Boolit Master

I remember my first deer season, I did not grow up in a hunting family so I was in my mid 20's. A couple of friends at work were deer hunters and invited me along. I didn't see any deer the entire first season. Guys started saying I was jinxed lol. I got one the next season hunting on a friends property, a big 7 pointer, it was pouring down rain, he was about 30 feet away and I was hunting from the ground. I used a Browning Stainless Stalker A-Bolt in 7mm Mag 140gr Nosler BT hand loaded, he went about 15 feet and piled up.

Boolit Grand Master
    opening day I had deer all around me
    4 buck and 6 does through out the day
    no buck that I cared to shoot and not on the first day for doe
    so second day morning a bust nothin,nada,zip
    the afternoon was a whole new day seemingly
    first see a buck chase a doe rite by me then I see a decent buck
    and take a shot but missed then another lone doe but shot blocked
    then buck runs doe by me again then 1/2 hour later 2 more small doe
    not 30 yds away but not going to shoot,they move off and after watching them
    for awhile they look towards the woods to the south of me and into a field steps
    a big doe well thats it shot her with my newly built ar10 in 6.5 Creedmoor with
    143 gr Hornady eld-x hit her perfect heart shot folded up in 30 yds
    now on the look out for another big doe or big buck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet. I shot a big 10 pointer the week before bow hunting so I was cherry picking a buck gun season. I passed up a few small bucks and several doe. I had no shooters all season. 10 day Muzzel loader season starts today! I'm not to choosy if I see horns with the smoke pole...then anterless only. I'll try out my cast devastator loads on a doe. I had no bigger bucks on my trail cam all season than the one I shot bow season and was hoping a monster would cross my property gun season. I sat in the wrong stand Friday morning and had a shooter in front of my stand...the same one that morning on my trail cam at 7:30am and 10:30am. Who knows if I would have bumped it going into my stand. I'll never know. We will see if I can get it done with my smoke pole. Things change...I have been shooting a 20" inch inside spread bow and gun hunting every year for about the last 12/15 years and then new property owners on both sides with hunting pressure changed the bucks habits. I believe all the new Amish in my neighborhood the last few years have something to do with it was well. It's normal to hear a single gun shot right at dusk while bow hunting a few times a season.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-26-2018 at 09:37 AM.