RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: S&W 1905 revolver

Boolit Master

S&W 1905 revolver

Anyone know much about these? I saw one for sale, 32-20 caliber, and was mildly interested. I've never been into older revolvers like this, but interests change over the years and it caught my eye. I don't have a 32-20 but my FIL does (an old Savage rifle), and I have dies and plenty of brass. I think it would be a fun shooter.

This one is far from perfect. It looks fine mechanically, but maybe less than 50% finish and appears to have some rough spots in the bore. It's not a sewer pipe, but far from perfect. The asking price is $350, so I didn't buy it, and probably won't, but I was curious what a reasonable ballpark value would be on something like that.

Anymore I don't worry so much about "getting a bargain". If I overpay a little for something I want I don't sweat it. I don't buy to resell for profit so in the grand scheme of things it's really not a big deal. (Yes, I know that's flat-out heresy to some of you all)

I think the revolver is over priced. $150 would be more in line. The early hand ejector Smiths are not all that stout so load would need to be very conservative, say a 100 grain bullet at 900 or a bit less. You could add a hundred to the asking for the Smith and find an excellent Colt Army Special or Official police which is a much stronger revolver or add 200 bucks and get a Cimarron or other Italian 1873 clone in .32-20. That would give you a robust revolver made of modern steel. Either the Colt AS or OP or the 18783 clone will handle uper level loads and prove more useful.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    In addition to the previously noted shortcomings, weapons of that period typically had atrocious sights. I concur with the suggestion to spend more and get something better--but I would look at a Ruger SA in .32 Magnum or .327. Ballistics would be similar and sights would be modern adjustible pattern.

Boolit Master
    I have a pair in 32-20, and 3,4,5 I dunno in 38 Spl. They are well made, classic S&Ws. There are at least 2 different sight patterns in the 1905 series, and the first are particularly awful, a thin, tapered blade up front, with barely a scratch in the frame for a rear sight. Later guns in the series had a 1/8" blade front sight which I actually like.

The first one I picked up has a poor bore that I fire lapped until it would at least reflect light, and touched up the crown. With the RCBS 98 grain SWC, its a 3" 50 yard gun. Not stellar, but not horrible. The second has a much better bore, but I have not wrung it out as far as accuracy.

They aren't the strongest, but are fine with standard loads, and are very smooth and have the classic lines of an old school S&W. That said, $350 seems steep, especially with a less than perfect bore.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a later-series example of the M&P in 32/20 x 5", with decent bore and mid-1930s birth date as best I can tell. Sights aren't bad for fixed/service equipage. I don't hot-rod ANY of my 32/20 revolvers; 115 grain bullets at 800-825 FPS shoot right where the sights look in all of them, 95-100 grainers at 875-900 FPS hit a few inches low at 25 yards. These are fun revolvers, if someone didn't stick a bullet in the barrel and then fire another one right behind it. Check for evidence of same on any 32/20 revolver, factory ammo in the early smokeless days had a rep for uneven combustion.

If the barrel is sound and unswollen--the bore condition decent--and the mechanicals are in good order, I might go $250-$275 for the example mentioned in the O/P's text. Revolvers of this age can be sold readily in California, they are outside the age range of the idiot-wind Handgun Safety Certification foofahrah that infests the hobby and business of firearm sales and service.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input. I passed it up because I thought it was too high, but I just didn't know enough to be sure. I made up my mind when I looked at the bore. Actually the bore and the sights. The sights were not great as mentioned above.

It's all for the better though. I really can't justify spending $350 on another gun, let alone any more. I appreciate the recommendation to spend more for something more modern in a different caliber, but what actually drew me to this one was the age and caliber. I learned a little today and maybe someday I'll run across another in better condition at a fair price.

Boolit Master
    I have a Brazilian revolver made by S&w for the 1937 contract.Looks like a S&W model of 1917 in 45 auto. Gets it share of attention at the range. Half moon front sight and a square notch at the back of the frame. I carry one of the paint pens to blacked the half moon sight.Big heavy N frame revolver. recoil is suprisingly light for the 45 auto. But fun to shoot regardless. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Similar gun from the early 20's--just after the introduction of tempered steel cylinders. It is pretty neat, though it has about the most pitiful set of sights ever to encumber a quality revolver. Here's a picture of it and its Colt Army Special running mate (which is the better gun).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0507.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	230428
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Smith and Wesson did not heat treat the cylinders of the Hand Ejector until 1920. At that, a rough 1905 isn't worth much as a "shooter." Now, while a nice nickel Smith makes for an interesting "shiny object," a Colt's Army Special is my choice for a shooter.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    S&W began heat treating the 1905 Model .32-20 Hand Ejectors starting with the 4th Change, at approximately 81,000 serial number in 1918.

Safe loads in the Winchester 1873, Colt Police Positive or early S&Ws are:

3 grains Trail Boss
    3.2 TiteGroup
    3.4 Bullseye
    3.5 W231 or Green Dot
    4.2 Unique
    4.5 AutoComp
    7.5 #2400
    9.0 IMR4227

Above loads approximate factory velocity and are all OK with a 100-105-grain lead bullet similar to the factory bullet.
    I use Accurate 31-105T in mine.

The #2400 and IMR4227 loads approximate factory velocity with the 100-grain Hornady .312" diameter XTP hollowpoint.
    Substituting a lubricated cast bullet velocity approaches 950 fps from a 5" barrel, and should be considered maximum, not to be exceeded in the Winchester 1873, and Colt Police Positive and pre-1918 S&W Hand Ejectors.

Attachment 230444Attachment 230445Attachment 230446
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have a Hand Ejector in .32 Long. Not sure of the year model, but it is nickle and the finish is about 50% and the bore is rough. A little loose, but shoots well enough. The front sight is about as thin as a razor blade and difficult to pick up when shooting. I paid $80 OTD for it at a pawnshop in GA.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    Razor-blade front sights don't do anybody any favors, for certain.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I checked the 1905 HE in my somewhat dated edition of Flayderman and the 1905 and the several changes of the 05 were all mostly shown at $240 - 275 very good to $450-$475 excellent, depending slightly on which change it was. All a bit higher than I would have thought. But region may have a bearing on the price. I would have thought $350 was higher than a cat's back myself, but ...

Further, and I am sure you know this, but don't use any factory ammo in it which is intended for rifle use. as Julian Hatcher said in his Textbook on Pistols and Revolvers "Before using 32/20 cartridges in revolvers, read the box label carefully. The High-Velocity type are marked "Not for use in revolvers" or something to that effect".
    Last edited by JoeJames; 11-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.