Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Storing Dies and Punches to Prevent Dreaded Metal Cancer/Corrosion

Boolit Bub

Storing Dies and Punches to Prevent Dreaded Metal Cancer/Corrosion

What is the best way to store your Swaging dies, punches and other small tools so rust/corrosion is less a chance to form ?
    I understand that heat treat steel is resistant,carbide even more so, but it would eventually be effected too -right ?
    I don't want this on my tools but how can it be prevented , and aren't they pretty much useless if its in the critical area that has surface contact (that actually forms the copper or lead )or rides on another part of the steel surface ?
    I store mine in Flambeau storage cases and even included some of the new blue Zerust dividers that are supposed to keep corrosion from forming in the sealed container .
    I even wear gloves first to prevent fingerprints and spray,then wipe them down with a product called Fluid Film -which is lanolin based aerosol -which claims to be a "superior lubricant" and contains no silicone or Teflon ...plus already using pure lanolin and castor oil for Swage lubes , so I thought this must be a good idea as I want this gear to last a lifetime for as hard to come by as it has been to get .
    I also unfortunately don't have my equipment stored in a 100% Room Temperature environment as my garage /workshop is heated but fluctuates somewhat in the winter depending if I am actually in there or not doing something ..High heat bills !
    I used to live in S.Florida and it seemed impossible to keep my hand tools from rusting in the garage ,but I never need heat either . The humidity was a super problem ,But Kentucky has it's fair share of humidity too .
    What seems to work the best to prevent these tools from be lost to rust / yes I am paranoid but I want these to last my lifetime anyway ?

Boolit Master
    Condensation will cause rust fast. Water condenses when the room warms up and the steel stays cold. To avoid this you can take a large cheap cooler. Mount an incandescent light bulb or very small heater inside, and store your tools in there. They will always be a little warmer than room temp, so no condensation. Adding dessiscant to the cooler can’t hurt.

Cosmoline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    Just keep them oiled.

Boolit Master
    LPS #3 in spray can is what I use to prevent rust on any metal tool, it looks bad, an old Warrant officer showed us this back in 1971 how he kept his dies from rust. And this is Louisiana, very humid and wet. You just have to clean up before use but they wont rust.

Boolit Buddy

I find that one of the easiest things to do is just keep some castor oil on them and store them in a padded foam envelope and then place that in a ziplock bag. I have been doing this for years and my dies are as bright as the day they were made. I also store those bags in one of those tight sealing cases made by rigid. It has a gasket to keep the moisture out. You want to keep your dies sealed up and away from moist air as much as possible.
    Zbench

Boolit Bub

Coffee can in motor oil.

Vendor Sponsor

Guess I might as well say it..... Black Nitride Processing

Sorry, shameless plug

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Banned
    hahaha. Do you offer Nitride treatment for stuff we have?

Boolit Master
    Hi GunsnGlory.There`s a line from an old song that should answer that question"If you got the money honey.WE got the time".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I like rig grease for long term storage.

Boolit Master
    If you want to be absolutely sure your ferrous items are protected for an indefinite period of time. Give the parts a coat of wheel bearing grease. If there are any sharp edges wrap with a layer of heavy plastic then seal the items in a vacuum sealer bag. The layer of plastic helps to keep sharp points or edges from puncturing the bag when the vacuum draws tight. If you want even more security drop an oxygen absorber into the bag just before sealing. Things you seal this way will be kept in the same condition for years just like the day they were sealed. Items will be protected even from a flood. Vacuum bags work great for sealing up keeper ammunition, tools, molds, guns, etc. etc.

Boolit Master

Wrap them or at least cover them with vapor paper I think it's called VCI paper. I bought a dozen or so sheets cheap on ebay and never looked back! If you want to spend more money buy a thermos electric cooler/heater and keep them in there on the warm setting.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington